What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,211
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I hope you start feeling better, Bill. You have had this for some time now...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

BTW, that little cheap amp stand, along with the other isolation things I did made more of a difference than I had originally thought. I like what I heard at first but the more I have listened to songs I am familiar with? The more I notice just how much of a positive change this made.

I would say that the biggest change is that it makes the music more fluid. Like there is an "ease" to the music now. Many selections are clearer now and there is less of a digital glare/edge. What a pleasant surprise!

Tom

Thanks Tom. I actually feel fine, but I can tell there is some sinus pressure still that is keeping my left ear ever so slightly veiled. It comes and goes. I think the delay is more because I haven't had time or been in the mood. I did listen for about an hour on Wednesday night and there was less of a sonic signature difference than I originally thought. The differences are quite subtle and you really need to be listening for them.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 313
    Options
    Completed replacing all switched power supplies with a TeraDak for the router. Power cable upgrade on the way for that and then I'm done -- until the next whim strikes! :D
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    Ran my billet 3255 amp all day yesterday and still this morning, hooked up to the modded CX100's and the Polk RM-1000 subwoofer in the bedroom... Amp case finally started getting warm after 6 hr's playtime 3/4 volume.... B)

bqdso6zgsfae.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    Rob, that's a wicked little rig. You need to cranks some Barry White in there :D
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • xschop
    edited January 21
    Options
    Ahh yeahh...
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    Rob, that's a wicked little rig. You need to cranks some Barry White in there :D

I'm hoping a new member will chime in on this same amp running his RTA-12's. B)

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    "finally getting warm after 6 hrs..."
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • xschop
    Options
    Yes, the factory case would get toasty after an hour playing this loud on the 8-TL's.
  • xschop
    Options
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    Completed build

i6lfcv1hua2x.jpg

Nice build. Where did you get those heat sinks?
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 905
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

Nice build. Where did you get those heat sinks?

They came with the kit that have since sold out. Search grow light heat sink. That is where they originate from.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    I really hesitated on adding this, and commenting on its effect. But now, I can't resist.
    It's a Sansui SE-9 equalizer, and after some re-conditioning, I am very impressed with the effects.
    aflhyeibn12p.jpg
    When I incorporate this unit into the signal chain, there is absolutely zero noise added, which is not what I expected. I fully anticipated testing this unit for functionality (with an accepted amount of added signal noise), and then selling it on to some vintage sucker. But after playing it awhile, I am in no hurry to sell it on. I think 'conundrum' is the appropriate term here.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,091
    Options
    Audiophile card revoked! 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    @jdjohn Did you play Bob Seger and dance around in your FTL's?
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,524
    Options
    We need to see another pic with the sliders having big smiles on them.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,007
    Options
    maxward wrote: »
    We need to see another pic with the sliders having big smiles on them.
    Ha...not gonna happen! :p I was just looking for a little treble bump in this case, due to the sound signature of the particular amp and phono cartridge. Just playing around.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I really hesitated on adding this, and commenting on its effect. But now, I can't resist.
    It's a Sansui SE-9 equalizer, and after some re-conditioning, I am very impressed with the effects.
    aflhyeibn12p.jpg
    When I incorporate this unit into the signal chain, there is absolutely zero noise added, which is not what I expected. I fully anticipated testing this unit for functionality (with an accepted amount of added signal noise), and then selling it on to some vintage sucker. But after playing it awhile, I am in no hurry to sell it on. I think 'conundrum' is the appropriate term here.

Welcome to the club!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mek
    mek Posts: 1
    Options
    I switched speakers to try n id a scratchy tweeter on some monitor 10’s I picked up for 50$ the other day. . Sl 2000 . First foray into “ nice” speakers
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,388
    Options
    Hello and good evening to you, @mek. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to Club Polk. Congrat's on your speaker purchase.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Plugged the HiFiMan HE400i cans into the NSD Incanto last night for a chill listening session and forgot how much I love planar magnetic headphones.
    They won't replace the VTL/Rosso Fiorentino Elba combo but it is nice for when the wife is trying to sleep.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • treitz3
    Options
    Had an audio reviewer come over for a listen to the rig today and he gave it one of the best compliments I could have ever expected. (IMO)...

He stated that.....and I quote, "The speakers are here in front of me, but useless. They are just big boxes sitting there doing nothing."

He's gone now and I get to occupy the sweet spot once again. So, I listen and enjoy....

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    Options
    Tom, never believe what we say B)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    Options
    His demeanor said it all, Marvin. Usually he sits and taps his feet, beats his head to the music and seems like he's having a grand old time.

This time was different. He heard something (don't know what exactly it was) and his body movements stopped completely. It was as if he wanted to hear what the changes were.

He has not done this before.

He also inquired heavily on what the changes were. It was one component. One that I would highly recommend as well.

Tom
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,880
    Options
    Fly me there and I'll give a listen :)
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    Options
    Marvin, you are welcome anytime. Just give me a heads up.

I have to cancel my trip down to the SWAF this year because of the changes I want to make in the system moving forward. I hate it but it is what it is.....and I am not made of money.

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    xipkdvywpn9f.jpg

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,093
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    It was one component. One that I would highly recommend as well.

waiting Very patiently . . . please provide details Mr. Reitz
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Options
    SE 120 baby! 'Nuff said.

Tom.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,622
    Options
    Listened to it!

Was out of town for a week. Man, it sounded even better today than I remembered! 😳 I think if I ever get down on the way it’s sounding, I’ll just turn it off for a few days and come back later! Cheaper that way, too!

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,091
    Options
    Sometimes if you are in the wrong head space... If the rig doesn't sound good just turn it off like you said and come back another day
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    Trying a pair of Audio Sensibility (out of Canada) Statement OCC Silver wire interconnects between the Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 21 DAC and the Threshold preamp. I had a pair of Wireworld Eclipse interconnects in that location before. The initial sound was grainy, but after a couple hours they started to settle down. I left the music playing while I'm at work today to give them more time to settle in.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |