What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,561
    Options
    ....and maybe a snowmobile...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,290
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    They look very similar to the ol' Rat Shack ones from BITD. Metal housing?

Tom

Yup. Quite thick aluminum they be, too.
    I actually A/B'd them today with a pair of the later (ported) "Optimus" branded Minimus 7 variant. The latter are brighter and also less sensitive than the Cantons. Really no contest between the two.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2023
    Options
    All y'all are welcome to drop by any time. Well, OK, not at 3 am on a Tuesday morning; stuff like that. Otherwise, almost any time!
    3 am is pretty much peak coyote and bear time, so it's probably better not to get out of the vehicle (or off the mule) any way -- if you happen to be in the 'hood around about that time of "day". :#
    The bears have turned in for the season, now, though. I think.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,424
    Options
    OK Doc, your post has inspired me to do the same.

A little luck on local OfferUp/Facebook and a desire to experiment has brought a trio of bookshelf/standmount speakers into my house over the last couple of months: First a pair of JBL Studio 530, then a pair of Canton Karat 920, and finally a pair of original NHT SuperZero.

Partnered with my pair of Rythmik subs, all three are very pleasing to listen to & I've spent a lot of time in the sweet spot recently. A lot of audio pleasure for not much outlay of cash...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »

A little luck on local OfferUp/Facebook and a desire to experiment has brought a trio of bookshelf/standmount speakers into my house over the last couple of months: First a pair of JBL Studio 530, then a pair of Canton Karat 920, and finally a pair of original NHT SuperZero.

Partnered with my pair of Rythmik subs, all three are very pleasing to listen to & I've spent a lot of time in the sweet spot recently. A lot of audio pleasure for not much outlay of cash...

What set do you like better?

I have not heard the NHT in years. I remember they used to be a decent sounding speaker for the $. The JBL studio 530 from memory had crazy imaging. Never heard the Canton.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • agfrost
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »

What set do you like better?

I have not heard the NHT in years. I remember they used to be a decent sounding speaker for the $. The JBL studio 530 from memory had crazy imaging. Never heard the Canton.

Boy, a lot to recommend for all three. You're correct, the 530s can image! The others are no slouches there either. All excellent clarity in the midrange. My room, as always, is perhaps the greatest limiting factor in my chain and I know I'd be more likely to hear differences between them if I had a room that let them show their best. Like 'em all a lot!

Thought I was done after getting the first two pair but then the NHTs showed up in the next town over--Love those NHT bookies; have a pair of SB1 in my office and 1.3A in my bedroom.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,375
    Options

Can I bring some vinyl with? :D Been a long time Jay!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I'd love to see you Rich. Maybe over my Christmas break?

Jay
  • erniejade
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

I'd love to see you Rich. Maybe over my Christmas break?

Hey, I am 1 town over from Rich. Included me on this party :)
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • treitz3
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Tom

I actually A/B'd them today with a pair of the later (ported) "Optimus" branded Minimus 7 variant. The latter are brighter and also less sensitive than the Cantons. Really no contest between the two.

I bought a pair of the Rat Shack Minimus 7's a while back on this forum. They were supposedly a pretty nice speaker....or at least, regarded well at the time I bought them, for a speaker their size. My pair had the crossover upgraded and when I first hooked them up, I couldn't figure out why these were so highly thought of. I think I listened to them for 5 minutes and back in the box they went.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • erniejade
    Options
    @agfrost any idea if there is a difference between the super zero and super zero A450? Just happns to be a set of Zero A450 not far from me.

On another note, i found a set of NHT one with the subwoofer but, from memory, they weren't that great and, they had the push type binding posts. It's going back 20+++++ years since I have heard the old One system.

Dang this hobby!
  • agfrost
    edited December 2023
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    @agfrost any idea if there is a difference between the super zero and super zero A450? Just happns to be a set of Zero A450 not far from me.

Dang this hobby!

The A450 was the original from the mid 90s iirc. Had an over-the-top glowing review in one of the stereo rags/websites. (Edit: Stereophile. Quote from it: So what did they sound like? Like true high-end speakers, except without any bass. They don't have "some" bass—NO bass. Used solo, even on a good pair of solid speaker stands, the SuperZeros just didn't have a real, or even implied, low end.) Those are the ones I picked up. Non-A450, but still vintage, SZ had a different tweeter. Haven't heard them. There are modern SZ (2.1's?) that I also haven't heard.

I've seen different labels on the back of other A450s with a date of manufacture. Not sure what that means about the vintage of mine. Tiny little guys!

vgixtdj72f0t.jpg
    fryhrm8l0ey5.jpg

Jay
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Tom

I bought a pair of the Rat Shack Minimus 7's a while back on this forum. They were supposedly a pretty nice speaker....or at least, regarded well at the time I bought them, for a speaker their size. My pair had the crossover upgraded and when I first hooked them up, I couldn't figure out why these were so highly thought of. I think I listened to them for 5 minutes and back in the box they went.

Tom

I did actually purchase (in both cases new, albeit at 'close-out' prices) two different morphs of the Minimus 7 -- the typical earlier, sealed version and the aforementioned ported morph. Their selling point was, and still is, that they look like the good minispeakers but didn't cost as much. They're -- pretty miserable, actually.
  • treitz3
    Options
    That's why mine are still sitting in a box somewhere. I didn't have the heart to move them along and just dump them on someone else.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,105
    Options
    That's why mine are still sitting in a box somewhere. I didn't have the heart to move them along and just dump them on someone else.

Tom

that's a personal Ouch! I've got a couple of unfortunate purchases, too
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,105
    Options
    but NOT the BALTIC DAC . . . this beast is smoke'n big phat cigars and sip'n top shelf single malt
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • erniejade
    Options
    @agfrost the ones I saw on marketplace had the same made in the USA and imported components as well. I do have a Rythmik F12 but, if they have no bass, does that mean set the sub at like 120 HZ?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,240
    Options
    I enjoyed my time with the minimus 7, highly modified!

The measured pretty well 100hz and up!

cgnrusa1fexn.png
    lnir0cqbaq1f.jpg

Tom you have the minimus 77

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    7's, 77's....tomatoe, tamata....(to me)

Even with upgraded crossovers (admittedly, not done up like yours above)? It doesn't matter to me. They were not a "fun" speaker, as was described. They were just a bad speaker. There was a Yamaha bookie about the same size that was a fun speaker. The DCM Time Windows bookie, just a little bit bigger than this, that was a fun speaker. These just belong in the garbage IMO.

Tom
  • VR3
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Sorry broski, I have to disagree. The 77 is nothing like the 7

The original minimus 7, made in Japan, with the metal tweeter faceplate is pretty legit.

The tweeter was made by peerless and the woofer by morel.

Not the end game performance but for current street value more then respectable
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,322
    edited December 2023
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I enjoyed my time with the minimus 7, highly modified!

The measured pretty well 100hz and up!

cgnrusa1fexn.png
    lnir0cqbaq1f.jpg

Tom you have the minimus 77

What's that, like $250+ worth of crossover on a $30 street value speaker? Love it. (or am I low?)
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • VR3
    Options
    I actually sold that pair for exactly $250! Great guess!

They sounded very good but I don't like running a separate subwoofer at my desk so I decided to keep my definitive monitors with built in subs instead.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I'll have to look at the boxes, Trey. You may be 100% correct. My only problem is....I have to figure out where I stashed them. DOH!

Tom
  • guyincognito
    Options
    Replaced the Rega Aria phono stage with a new Parasoud JC3+. This is what I was missing! The Rega just had too high of a noise floor compared to my digital chain. The JC3+ is extremely quiet. I took 2 days off work to listen to records.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • guyincognito
    Options
    qeqic3qwz9cm.jpg
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,417
    Options
    Replaced the Rega Aria phono stage with a new Parasoud JC3+. This is what I was missing! The Rega just had too high of a noise floor compared to my digital chain. The JC3+ is extremely quiet. I took 2 days off work to listen to records.

Nice! I upgraded to a JC3+ to replace an older Acoustech PH-1P a few months ago. I was really surprised at how quiet the JC3+ noise floor is in comparison because the Acoustech was a very solid design with high quality parts inside.
  • billbillw
    Options
    qeqic3qwz9cm.jpg

Glad to some other Revel lovers in this place!
  • billbillw
    Options
    c6vk9cbnbumy.jpg
  • guyincognito
    Options
    billbillw wrote: »
    c6vk9cbnbumy.jpg

Love seeing some more Revels. I wanted a set of the Ultima Studio 2's forever. I think the urge has passed now luckily.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • guyincognito
    Options
    What are you using for an amp? My eyes are bad and I couldn't make it out in the photo. I've got a JC5 tucked away that powers mine. They really come alive with some power.
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000