Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,068
    edited October 2023
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    That's why you gotta test it first by revving up to 5k in neutral, and dropping it into D.

Favorite person should be in the back seat or truck bed to observe result.

I've seen more than one person blow up their trannys doing neutral drops back in the day...
    [emphasis added]

Out of context -- this statement might be construed as a tad unsettling... :#
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,697
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    smglbrth wrote: »
    That's why you gotta test it first by revving up to 5k in neutral, and dropping it into D.

Favorite person should be in the back seat or truck bed to observe result.

I've seen more than one person blow up their trannys doing neutral drops back in the day...
    [emphasis added]

Out of context -- this statement might be construed as a tad unsettling... :#

I was going to say something, but when I do, I always get a 30-day ban. :o
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,461
    Options
    Too funny! That never even crossed my mind! Guess I'm not from the snowflake generation, obviously...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ^^^ speaking of which...

wdyrqn0yu8dt.png
    (from our buds B) @ ASR)
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Options
    pz7sfrbedzlr.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Wow! that took guts!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,476
    Options
    I'd have done it with coat hangers. The fuzz insulates you from electrocution.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I have done it with coat hangers.

^^^^ This is all I read of that.
  • msg
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I have done it with coat hangers.

^^^^ This is all I read of that.

That's because you think you can feel the difference between different levels of electrocution.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    JayMX wrote: »
    pz7sfrbedzlr.jpeg

What is the point of this?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,610
    Options
    Evidently.... light.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    Too bad that wasn't a metal junction box.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2023
    Options
    well, I mean... the thing is...
    as long as you only touch one wire at a time.
    And avoid being grounded...

Bob's yer uncle! (as our cousins across the pond might put it)

EDIT:

PS I know all y'all know this: You can get shocked many times, but you'll only get electrocuted once.
    :#

sxb528aklnqw.png

(tip o' the ol' AC yarmulke to our comrades @ ASR for the graphic)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I got juiced once while I was demonstrating a piece of equipment to a client. Threw me back about 6 feet, landed on the floor on my back. As I opened my eyes the guy was standing over me. I asked, am I still alive? Very relieved to hear yes. I had a strange feeling in both arms and across my chest. Basically felt like all the energy was drained out of me. Called my boss and told him I
    was going home.

Never did know the what or why it happened.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    Options
    What kind of equipment and how much electricity was it?
    Guessing you weren't demo'ing the 9V battery tongue check.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,832
    Options
    Restaurant equipment. The piece was plugged into a 15 amp outlet.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    AC shocks are awful. I hate that feeling.
    DC is more like getting smacked.

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    We need a “!!” or a “😳” reaction option.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    "It's the volts that jolt. It's the mills that kill"
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,374
    Options

Best to be very respectful to both.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2023
    Options
    yup. The worst thing to do (EDIT: IMO) is to be afraid when working with electricity.
    Healthy respect is essential. Fear leads to mistakes, which can be costly -- and, yes, fatal. :(
    And, yes, of course, being too confident leads can lead to mistakes, too. :|

• ChrisD06
    ChrisD06 Posts: 886
    Options

I got zapped when I was like 5 and I very vividly remember it. The shock felt like, well, you know the feeling you get when you eat a super sour candy? Yeah that, but hot, and it pulsated throughout my body.
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,611
    Options
    His next post will say it might have been his mind playing tricks on him.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Viking64
    Options
    Brands of 12-gauge Romex are all the same.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Brands of 12-gauge Romex are all the same.

When in Romex, do as the Romanexes do...
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    So I'm thinking I'm alone in grabbing the plug wire to check for spark on a motor that won't start? Sometimes the spark would really get your attention, other times barely a tickle.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Our electric fences get my attention once in a while. :/
    Fairly similar to that insistent little bzzzzt of a spark plug wire, at least from my perspective.