You’re doing it wrong…

Options

Comments

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,160
    Options
    So I'm thinking I'm alone in grabbing the plug wire to check for spark on a motor that won't start? Sometimes the spark would really get your attention, other times barely a tickle.

We used to call this the lick and f*ck test when I was a kid and we had motorbikes. Lick finger, put in plug lead and kick engine over. If it worked - f****ck.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,462
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Our electric fences get my attention once in a while. :/
    Fairly similar to that insistent little bzzzzt of a spark plug wire, at least from my perspective.

Ya, electric fences! The ones we had years ago on the farm when I was a kid were pretty great (meaning they worked for some of the crazy steers we had, with one exception). We called them weed burners. If I remember right, around 3 quick pops and a thick button weed was cut in half. The cattle used to go up to it and try to give it a smell or feel the "humm" to see if it was working. Most of the time they got too close and the spark would jump right at their nose to the sum of about 2-3 inches. My dad used to say people who loved farm animals never farmed. Ah, memories...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,348
    Options
    adafhahqn73a.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,348
    Options
    azohuiqcmddb.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    azohuiqcmddb.jpeg

😢😢😢
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,421
    Options
    1 of only 1,935 ever built and this is how they store it? That's not redneck. That's stupid.

No doubt, Ivan. That's a painful image to see.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    That is criminal!
  • bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,628
    Options
    azohuiqcmddb.jpeg

This one’s almost as bad. Just took it a few minutes ago …

obq8zi8875xp.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    azohuiqcmddb.jpeg

This one’s almost as bad. Just took it a few minutes ago …

obq8zi8875xp.jpeg

Looks like a place I found one in rural Iowa. What a waste
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,484
    Options
    So I'm thinking I'm alone in grabbing the plug wire to check for spark on a motor that won't start? Sometimes the spark would really get your attention, other times barely a tickle.

I leaned over to listen and my long hair touched the coil wire and pow!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • treitz3
    Options
    Not that I have ever done that (touched a spark plug wire) but...that is pain that you will NOT forget! Holy Smokes Batman!

I cringe just thinking about the hypothetical happening again!!!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,517
    Options
    atocslv29lxv.png
    Pfff. Everyone knows that's an S2.

I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Poor GTX tisk tisk...
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    It’s in Mahomet. I feel like rescuing it. 😢 Still has the original exhaust tips on it, so I’m guessing it’s been there quite a while.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    It’s in Mahomet. I feel like rescuing it. 😢 Still has the original exhaust tips on it, so I’m guessing it’s been there quite a while.

Start at the floor pan and work your way up, get expensive faster that that car went new.
    😁😁
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,711
    Options
    Where no man has gone before.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Putting a 20 amp breaker on a 15 amp circuit...

Gee, I wonder where I got that from...

Tom
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,517
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

doubtful.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »

doubtful.

I have only seen the episodes from the 1960s. I can only speculate as to what kind of Gomorrah-y nonsense has occurred since.
  • Viking64
    Options
    The Liberty Bell housing.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Looks legit!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Our good friend, J-B Weld!

Brian

• audioluvr
    Options
    I wonder if the torque converter is glued in too.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    Cabin fever on the brink of or possibly over the edge of insanity is my best guess for someone doing something like that.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,484
    Options
    At least the tranny will be on center
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,103
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I wonder if the torque converter is glued in too.

If it wasn't a lockup torque converter before.... it is now. :#