Network Audio Players/Streamers

Options

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    The u1 mini with the s booster is as good as the stock u1
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    Options
    I run USB, and have the Oppo for a transport on a coax. I don't care for the sound quality of ethernet...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I would not invest in anything until you give a listen to a Lumin. It's a winner
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Going with Tom's advice with a company that does primarily streaming

That means progressively upgrades firmware and apps for improvement to keep them in their nitch

I've been though NAD with their nodes V1 as they scrapped as it failed
    Same with Simaudio as I owned the 780D and they to moved on leaving their Gen1

Lumin has been in the game for a while now and that's what they do

You can buy a progressive companies streamer and add a DAC that you can flip around

If you ever decide to move up a chain, or sell, purchasers will be looking for all the features, not just the brand
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2023
    Options
    https://www.sonypremiumhome.com/high-resolution-audio/HAP-Z1ES.php

Check out the HAP-Z1ES which is stupid good. You also can get the smaller unit which I had in the
    HAP-S1. This unit has a built in Amp which you can use if you want or use it as a source to your system. It has a smaller hard drive and still sounds incredible.

https://www.sonypremiumhome.com/high-resolution-audio/HAP-S1.php
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    I run USB, and have the Oppo for a transport on a coax. I don't care for the sound quality of ethernet...

Not sure what you mean by that....(in bold)

All streamers (unless running optical/fiber) have an E cable somewhere in the system, no?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    edited April 2023
    Options
    In my rig, only at the PC.
    I pull my signal directly from the computer and send it out on either HDMI or USB to the other gear in my rig.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Options
    Ah, carry on...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Another plug here for the BS Node 2i. I've had it in my system for a few years now & not even a single hiccup with it's performance.
    I recently got the itch to upgrade but decided to go with the LHY Audio upgraded PSU for the 2i. I must say I'm glad I did! Later I added the iFi iPOWER ELITE PSU along with the iFi LAN i Silencer.
    With each addition the performance was kicked up enough that it had me scratching my head about what I was now hearing! The BS app & Tidal app are also tremendous & I love them both. Winner winner chicken dinner!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    @treitz3 - No doubt that a stock Bluesound Node won’t sound as good as an Auralic. Did you happen to upgrade the power supply on the Node you had? That is a significant improvement, imo.

No disrespect to, or hyperbolic claims against, Auralic / Lumin at all. I just enjoy tailoring the sound by swapping DACs with the Node. I didn’t care for the internal dac, as it sounded very 2-D to me.

Cheers!

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,928
    edited April 2023
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Ah, Cary on...

Tom

:smile:
  • treitz3
    Options
    JB, when I had the BS Node2? I had it and accepted it for what it was. No upgrades other than an upgraded PC.

The internal DAC left a lot to be desired, which is why I upgraded immediately to a MF TV21.

It still left me wanting.

I am no longer wanting, if that answers your question. The price difference was....a lot.

Tom

• Toolfan66
    Options
    In my rig, only at the PC.
    I pull my signal directly from the computer and send it out on either HDMI or USB to the other gear in my rig.

Mine to, USB to the OPPO..
  • treitz3
    Options
    Just throwing this out there....

Computers and CDP's are inherently noisy environments.

Tom
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    For those in the know for streaming (I've barely gotten my feet wet) is ethernet from the router then to the streamer a preferred connection method or is there something much better?
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 306
    Options
    I've tried wifi, usb, and ethernet. Have had virtually no glitches with Qobuz via ethernet to Lumin. Had fairly frequent issues with Tidal via wifi and usb to Auralic. YMMV.
    Also, budget permitting, consider putting an Uptone Audio EtherRegen switch between the router and the streamer. New version due out soon; v.1 can be found used (audiophilestyle.com).
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    For those in the know for streaming (I've barely gotten my feet wet) is ethernet from the router then to the streamer a preferred connection method or is there something much better?
    Dr_Wu wrote: »
    I've tried wifi, usb, and ethernet. Have had virtually no glitches with Qobuz via ethernet to Lumin. Had fairly frequent issues with Tidal via wifi and usb to Auralic. YMMV.
    Also, budget permitting, consider putting an Uptone Audio EtherRegen switch between the router and the streamer. New version due out soon; v.1 can be found used (audiophilestyle.com).

On my Bluesound Node 2i, I’m using a backup SSD plugged into the Node’s USB input (no computer noise, no wi-fi buffering/jitter issues) and using the Node app on my iPhone as remote control for song selection.

If you run ethernet direct from your pc you may (likely will) have noise from your pc come through ethernet.

Wifi from your router should eliminate the pc noise, but buffering and/or jitter issues will be introduced. There are some ways to mitigate the former, but I’m not aware of any for the latter since the signal is not being directly transmitted. I’ll let others speak to these issues, though.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »

Not sure what you mean by that....(in bold)

All streamers (unless running optical/fiber) have an E cable somewhere in the system, no?

Tom

That and there are some amazing high quality Ethernet cables out there! How well I know ! I have zero use for USB in any of my gear !
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    Streamers from esoteric brands are the receivers of the 90s and 2000s for audio in 2020s.

They may support them today, but will they support your large acquisition 5 years from now thus making it a gigantic paperweight
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Streamers from esoteric brands are the receivers of the 90s and 2000s for audio in 2020s.

They may support them today, but will they support your large acquisition 5 years from now thus making it a gigantic paperweight

Agreed, but that really goes for any of these brands as things change so rapidly, they all are in business to sell the next big thing. No different than a CD/SACD Player, it can easily be a big paper weight just the same after 5 years. There is no guarantee in any of this, one can only hope a shop can acquire the parts to service it.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    edited April 2023
    Options
    wrote:
    Agreed, but that really goes for any of these brands as things change so rapidly, they all are in business to sell the next big thing. No different than a CD/SACD Player, it can easily be a big paper weight just the same after 5 years. There is no guarantee in any of this, one can only hope a shop can acquire the parts to service it.

I don't disagree with you, but Cary is catering to the high dollar crowd with small numbers. Personally, I would steer towards a low dollar investment in a streamer (aka Bluesound) and use the digital output to drive a separate DAC. More boxes may not be the direction you want to go though and I would understand that issue.

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

That can and should be said about ALL brands and things for that matter!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I recently acquired an Arcam sa30 interested amp/streamer and love it. Here is the delicated streamer!

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/arcam-st60
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Well, I didn't pull the trigger on anything yet.. :#
  • treitz3
    Options
    My advice? If you are looking for something for the long haul with all of the criteria you want in a streamer? Keep asking questions, looking and researching.

If you want something to get your feet wet while you are looking? You can't go wrong with the BS Node units (with an external DAC). The resale on those are horrible, so when and if you do upgrade, put that either somewhere else in your home/office/camper or take the hit when you go to unload it.

Tom
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    There are other options for streaming music content. Any Amazon Fire TV product can stream music from the Amazon service. Apple has their own. Most mid grade and up receivers and AV processors have built in music streaming capability. Some integrated amps have it now too.

For now the Bluesound node streamer seems most appealing to me for a standalone product since it's not too expensive, has a good user interface, and can be hooked up to an existing DAC that doesn't need to change when the interface device gets outdated.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,141
    Options
    You must have made a decision.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    edited April 2023
    Options
    Keep in mind that you can dip your toe in for less than $1K. Buy a streamer such as Bluesound Node (~$450 used), Auralic Aries (~$800 used), or any number of others and just run SPDIF over coax into your Oppo. You can then get an idea of what you like in your system without making a major monetary investment.

Or you could buy the Cary from TMR, try it for 2 weeks, and return it if you don't like it.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts