Refreshing my RTA 15TLs

Comments

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,527
    edited January 2023
    OK, it tends to take listening to a familiar and great recording and definitely some volume to tell the difference, and among the recent improvements to my system (amp, room treatments and cables) it's solidly in last place, but after getting some uninterrupted and less sleep-deprived critical listening in today than what I could the past few days, I can say deadening the baskets has made a positive difference. The midrange takes on a greater urgency and attack. Details that were basically formally indistinguishable in the background present themselves for your enjoyment now. Talking about things like rhythm guitar strums, vocal pronunciations and breaths and other similar nuances. The 15s just seem the slightest bit "faster" and more dynamic.

Definitely didn't lose any life. I do notice some recordings seem to have somewhat less bass (might have to revisit those), but perhaps that is truer to the original recording. Because the ones that seemed previously bass-heavy and muddy are noticeably cleaner, tighter and seem to go lower than before.

This is in line with what I expected and maybe less of a resounding endorsement that what others have given this mod. But if you are into the slightest additive improvements and details (like I am) it is worth doing if the drivers are out for J-B Welding or other reasons. I can say without a doubt that with everything I've done so far, these 30 year-old antiques have never sounded so good ... and there's still more to come.

But at this point, mostly, I'm just happy to be able to crank it up and listen without keeping one ear to a magnet hitting the bottom of the cabinet. lol
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    edited January 2023
    What I first noticed was more of what I would call "thwack" in bongos and toms, and more accurate timbre. If you listen to something like the 2nd track (Taboo?) on Santana III it would highlight that.

I did a little more delving into the HushMat specs compared to Dynamat Xtreme and it appears to only have about half of the dampening effectiveness at room temp. and 200 Hz, of the Dynamat (about 210 vs 417). But according to the Dynamat info., adding extra layers increases effectiveness, so it might not be out of the question for you to try that.

m60aeuhj15ye.jpg
    ki9ihh64kbrk.jpg
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • bcwsrt wrote: »
    But at this point, mostly, I'm just happy to be able to crank it up and listen without keeping one ear to a magnet hitting the bottom of the cabinet. lol

Ha!

That is a good feeling =)

[thinking]

BBQ

Did I see you were in TN? Or did I imagine that...

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • bcwsrt
    edited January 2023
    Not yet. Illinois for now. I can still like BBQ, right?
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • Ha!

Yes you can.

If you'll be near Memphis, the iconic wet and dry rib choices (for decades) downtown we're The Rum Boogie Café (BB King's place) and The Rendezvous. But there are a dozen great little (cheaper, too) places for your pulled pork and bbq fixins' needs =)

Paul Latham's Meat Company in Jackson has been around for a loooong time, if you're over that way. Brooksie's Barn has a buffet, but I can't comment on how it is nowadays.

I'd have to check with friends if you're Nashville and East..
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • bcwsrt
    Been to Memphis a number of times. Have a good friend in Collierville from my motorcycle riding days. Never had barbecue there, though. 😮

We’ll be near Cookeville whenever the time comes.
    Brian

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    No one suggested BH5? That'd be a first.
    Looking good.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • bcwsrt
    Well, I just realized I lied about being done. Make some more tweeter plates and I'm a buyer.

On BH5, I see some pros and cons on here, mostly about the exact amount to use, so yeah, it never came up.

Tweeter plate comments are all pro.
    Brian

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    As for BH5 a 4" continous strip from top of active driver to bottom of last active driver. Let this crossover thing marinate for a few months then make the decision, that way you'll know exactly if the BH5 is or isn't an improvement you're looking for. BH5 absolutely can suck the life out of a speaker. After the XO burn in and your familiarity with your speakers as they settle in you will know pretty quickly if it deadens it too much.
  • Exciting!

If you can try that Hell Freezes Over/Eagles/Hotel California track, it's amazing.

And huzzah for @pitdogg2 being your patron saint!
  • bcwsrt
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    As for BH5 a 4" continous strip from top of active driver to bottom of last active driver. Let this crossover thing marinate for a few months then make the decision, that way you'll know exactly if the BH5 is or isn't an improvement you're looking for. BH5 absolutely can suck the life out of a speaker. After the XO burn in and your familiarity with your speakers as they settle in you will know pretty quickly if it deadens it too much.

xkgu7qe8kyls.jpeg
    Brian

• bcwsrt
    Exciting!

If you can try that Hell Freezes Over/Eagles/Hotel California track, it's amazing.

Looks like Apple Music can accommodate. 👍
    Brian

• bcwsrt
    Exciting!

Excellent recommendation.

kk8epvlr3ymu.jpeg

Brian

• xschop
    bcwsrt wrote: »
    Well, I just realized I lied about being done. Make some more tweeter plates and I'm a buyer.

On BH5, I see some pros and cons on here, mostly about the exact amount to use, so yeah, it never came up.

Tweeter plate comments are all pro.

Looks like we have another uber-modder on our hands.
    These are the last of the Mohicans for awhile. We started the process to convert the garage to extra living space, so I'll be busy for awhile when it warms up...

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/195256/xs-monitor-upgrade#latest
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

xkgu7qe8kyls.jpeg

Hey, I resemble that comment....

You definitely pull it off better Ken!
    😁😁
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Exciting!

kk8epvlr3ymu.jpeg

Very cool, love the chill atmosphere. Can almost hear the music.

Are you noticing sound stage depth or any pronounced imaging effects with the speakers out from the wall that distance? Recently curious about this speaker placement.
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt wrote: »
    kk8epvlr3ymu.jpeg

Tell us about your room treatments!

It looks like a very nice setup for those speakers =)
  • bcwsrt
    msg wrote: »
    Exciting!

kk8epvlr3ymu.jpeg

Very cool, love the chill atmosphere. Can almost hear the music.

Are you noticing sound stage depth or any pronounced imaging effects with the speakers out from the wall that distance? Recently curious about this speaker placement.

Thanks!

I followed this YT video for placement. Was an evening well-spent. I ended up within 6 inches (farther out) from the wall of where I originally had them and about a foot closer together (6 feet apart center-to-center). The 30 inches off the wall might be less than it what it appears in the photo. The panels are almost 5 inches thick.

The rear-firing PRs on the 15s make for some pretty crazy standing waves. The distance off the wall helps with that. And, yes, imaging improves, too.

With the addition of the room treatments in early-January, I could probably inch them back towards the wall some more, I just haven’t yet wanted to mess with what is the best sound I’ve ever had from them.

https://youtu.be/CyTkwkK8ON0
    Brian

• bcwsrt
    kk8epvlr3ymu.jpeg

Tell us about your room treatments!

It looks like a very nice setup for those speakers =)

I did! Lol
    It’s actually really a listening “corner.” The left side and rear are open to basically the rest of the basement. Also, the lower part of the ceiling you can see on the left is only 7ft vs 8 ft on the right. Far from ideal. So, to combat the deficiencies in the listening area, I decided to give room treatments a try. First time experiment with those, but it worked! Pretty noticeable improvement in stereo separation, imaging and depth and width of soundstage. I liken it to being more like listening through headphones in that regard. Plus, the panels on the front wall really tamed the negative effects of the rear facing PRs on the 15. The bass from the listening position is tighter and more pronounced. Room treatments are no joke for improving your system’s performance. I may add some “clouds” on the ceiling and possibly some corner treatments later, but for now, I’m pretty happy with the changes just these six panels have made. GIK Accoustics products, BTW.

I definitely recommend them. Wouldn’t have a room without them now. Still wanting to add those clouds as the funds allow. Maybe some more bass traps and/or diffusers down the road.

Brian

• xschop
    Really like the woodgrain on those as well.
  • bcwsrt
    They are a good-looking speaker. These are the walnut finish, but it is pretty light-colored. More like oak.
    Brian

• Hi,
    I also have the Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers. I had the crossovers rebuilt by westmassguy last year. Added Dynamat extreme , sonic barrier and hurricane nuts. It took a long time to burn in the new crossovers, and trying to get them placed was a nightmare. I finally checked YT and found the same guy you showed. Laid down the railroad tracks and started listening. It worked. Got them dialed in and they sound great!
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    High current. I'm glad I listened to F1nut, westmassguy and others preaching high current amps (when I retired my old Kenwood integrated). It makes a huge difference realizing optimal performance, particularly "presence" with low volume listening. In that vein, after your other mods, replacing the internal wire is worth doing (give 'em the firehose of current). VR3, and others recommend Supra Rondo. As pitdogg2 recommends, BH5 (or the 11/4 Sonic Barrier) at the proper amount can really help your speakers not lose composure at higher volumes (becoming a shouty roar). If you find that the entire strip is too much, you can experiment with squares behind each driver. Give yourself plenty of time and evaluate with well-recorded music that you are very familiar with.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • bcwsrt
    Ronhat wrote: »
    Hi,
    I also have the Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers. I had the crossovers rebuilt by westmassguy last year. Added Dynamat extreme , sonic barrier and hurricane nuts. It took a long time to burn in the new crossovers, and trying to get them placed was a nightmare. I finally checked YT and found the same guy you showed. Laid down the railroad tracks and started listening. It worked. Got them dialed in and they sound great!

Nice first post and welcome! You had what is by all accounts, The GOAT, involved in yours. I had one of his "apprentices," plus his assistance with some key parts on mine. This forum and everyone's contacts, resources and willingness to help are extraordinary!

Yes, placement is problematic on the 15s. That video should not be underestimated. I used the same, familiar 9 song, 35 minute playlist for each position and made sure I had an uninterrupted several hours to focus on it. Well worth the effort and time.

I'm trying not to get too excited by my early listening, but rebuilding the crossovers seems so far to be in nearly the same league as moving to a high current tube amp. I drafted a PM to Ivan earlier after listening for another 90 minutes this afternoon, but then pulled back on it not wanting to sound too over-the-top since I feel like it might not last in the end. I'll hold off on any more comments about the sound here until around the 100 hour mark on Wednesday evening, or so.

Brian

• bcwsrt
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    High current. I'm glad I listened to F1nut, westmassguy and others preaching high current amps (when I retired my old Kenwood integrated). It makes a huge difference realizing optimal performance, particularly "presence" with low volume listening. In that vein, after your other mods, replacing the internal wire is worth doing (give 'em the firehose of current). VR3, and others recommend Supra Rondo. As pitdogg2 recommends, BH5 (or the 11/4 Sonic Barrier) at the proper amount can really help your speakers not lose composure at higher volumes (becoming a shouty roar). If you find that the entire strip is too much, you can experiment with squares behind each driver. Give yourself plenty of time and evaluate with well-recorded music that you are very familiar with.

We talked about the internal wiring last Saturday and again yesterday. I think Ivan is better to elaborate on it, but the conclusion was the boards are not really accommodating of anything bigger than 18 gauge wiring. Drilling out the holes to fit anything bigger turns into a risk vs. reward thing. It was definitely in my thought process, but don't want to cause more problems than it fixes.

I'm 100% on board with your and Ivan's BH5 comments.
    Brian

• For enlarging the holes for heavier awg wiring, I would recommend using diamond points in a dremel with a variable speed. Very controlled and more of a sideways grinding process, which doesn't lift any traces. I got mine from Harbor Freight.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • bcwsrt
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    ... As pitdogg2 recommends, BH5 (or the 11/4 Sonic Barrier) at the proper amount can really help your speakers not lose composure at higher volumes (becoming a shouty roar). If you find that the entire strip is too much, you can experiment with squares behind each driver. Give yourself plenty of time and evaluate with well-recorded music that you are very familiar with.

Meant to comment on the loss of composure and "shouty roar" (great description!) part earlier and it escaped me. I definitely notice this phenomenon with the 15s, or at least I did before this. It's like the speakers suddenly become the weak link at a certain volume level. This description helps me better understand the potential benefit of the BH5 and what to look for down the road. 👍
    Brian