Refreshing my RTA 15TLs

Options
123457»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    It's not exactly cheap, but a can will last the average home owner a lifetime.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bcwsrt
    bcwsrt Posts: 1,604
    Options
    👍
    528ognlq9qq5.jpeg
    Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Can that be picked up at a hardware store ? Pls post your thoughts & pics. I should freshen up my cabinets as well. Thx
    Randy/Maine
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    I was lazy and got it from Amazon.

I vacuumed and dusted everything else off in the listening area the other day. This will be something good to do when it’s in the upper-90s here next week. Will definitely report back.

Brian

One-owner Polk Audio RTA 15TL speakers refreshed w/ Sonicap, Vishay/Mills and Cardas components by "pitdogg2," "xschop" billet tweeter plates and BH5 | Stereo REL Acoustics T/5x subwoofers w/ Bassline Blue cables | Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III integrated tube amp | Technics SL-1210G turntable w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB 250 MM cart | Sony CDP-508ESD CD player (as a transport) | LampizatOr Baltic 4 tube DAC | Nordost & DH Labs cables/interconnects | APC H15 Power Conditioner | GIK Acoustics room treatments | Degritter RCM
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Can that be picked up at a hardware store ? Pls post your thoughts & pics. I should freshen up my cabinets as well. Thx

I've never seen it at any hardware store.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bcwsrt
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Maybe a hardware store in England? Lol

Post edited by bcwsrt on
    Brian

• boston1450
    edited August 2023
    Options
    How about New England lol. I screenshot it. I prefer online. Thank you guys
    Randy/Maine
  • bcwsrt
    edited August 2023
    Options
    w5opnh9nfu6w.jpeg
    ed2tltvhdh6k.jpeg

Got to this a little sooner than I thought I might …

Yeah, this stuff is no joke. This is just an “after” pic because as Jesse said, the sheen remains about the same (slightly glossier, but not dramatically or offensively so). I put three coats on in a cross-hatch fashion going with the grain to begin with, then against, and finishing with the grain as it disappeared into the finish with each coat. Each coat took less product to cover a greater area and you can feel the slickness (i.e. protection) increasing with each coat. I used an automotive micro fiber pad to apply it and buffed afterward with a micro fiber cloth.

A camera isn’t going to capture what you can see in person, but the finish is exactly what you would want and probably better than what it was brand new.

This is the kind of product you want to try on other stuff just because you wonder what it would do for it.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Pic to show the amount used for both speakers (virtually none!) and other uses per the label …

g4dhi9h9uege.jpeg
    p9tssc2e3hcn.jpeg
    Brian

• boston1450
    Options
    Nicely done. Brought em back to new
    Randy/Maine
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    These two pics actually show the difference pretty well in roughly the same light. The right speaker is before (1st pic) and the left is after (2nd pic). Just a richer and deeper finish on the second one.

lukoc9grvqwj.jpeg
    5e9rso8up6v2.jpeg
    Brian

• chrispyfur
    chrispyfur Posts: 170
    Options
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    chrispyfur wrote: »
    Looks great!!

Just too bad they’re so sub-standard sounding! 😝

Brian

• chrispyfur
    chrispyfur Posts: 170
    Options
    Wouldn't mind an opportunity to hear that for myself! I'm sure these sound really nice.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    bcwsrt wrote: »

Got to this a little sooner than I thought I might …

Yeah, this stuff is no joke.

I put three coats on in a cross-hatch fashion going with the grain to begin with, then against, and finishing with the grain as it disappeared into the finish with each coat. Each coat took less product to cover a greater area and you can feel the slickness (i.e. protection) increasing with each coat. I used an automotive micro fiber pad to apply it and buffed afterward with a micro fiber cloth.

This is the kind of product you want to try on other stuff just because you wonder what it would do for it.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Pic to show the amount used for both speakers (virtually none!) and other uses per the label …
    0klp011cundl.jpg
    1byqh8v8tcb5.jpg

Photo after Brian read the "other uses".
    cmyostfesm8d.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    Well, as you said via PM and I swear, I'm not making this up, you guys know me: "I want to get some of that wax stuff you got."

Brian

• msg
    Options
    Why you...
    dghn4jine195.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Talk to you guys in a week or two.
    sbsvci9y9zyi.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • bcwsrt
    Options
    You will not be disappointed.

Brian