Your dream turntable?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    Or you could have your turntable and eat it too:

xox10pvwvry4.png

OR one could simply cut to the chase and procure an EAT turntable!

https://www.europeanaudioteam.com/en/turntables-wp000005.html

rkfkxj2n0yb6.png
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Tasty…
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited February 2023
    ge099y2ah5td.gif

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Joey_V wrote: »
    I had a conversation with a local friend - dream turntable.

Anyone here have a dream turntable?

My dream turntable is one that stays firmly in my dreams...and out of my digital wonderland.

In the future, when I am more dedicated to audio than I am now, and have a much bigger house, I can imagine setting up a dedicated room for my turntable rig and driven with tube electronics. Until then, sweet dreams....

4gbcwm7hfnbz.jpg

To answer the OP's question, I can see myself upgrading to a VPI Avenger Reference turntable with VPI Fatboy tonearm. I actually like my current turntable/tonearm a lot. However, Teres, the maker of my turntable, went out of business years ago. Graham Engineering, the maker of my Phantom II tonearm, is still around, but they are a boutique manufacturer with less than efficient customer service.

x9nrfj6rityy.jpg

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I had a conversation with a local friend - dream turntable.

Anyone here have a dream turntable?

To answer the OP's question, I can see myself upgrading to a VPI Avenger Reference turntable with VPI Fatboy tonearm. I actually like my current turntable/tonearm a lot. However, Teres, the maker of my turntable, went out of business years ago. Graham Engineering, the maker of my Phantom II tonearm, is still around, but they are a boutique manufacturer with less than efficient customer service.

x9nrfj6rityy.jpg

That table looks sooo familiar

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    Love the SME model 60 or VPI Avenger Reference. Of course there are so many others at crazy price points but those two are on my list of something I’d love to work towards some day.
  • Joey_V
    The Avenger Ref is very nice
    That sme60 is super nice
  • Are we talking about the, "Some day I will attain this dream" turntable, or the, "Not likely in my lifetime unless I really do have a wealthy price relative in Africa who will provide me with millions if I can send him $8k right now" kind of dream turntable?
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Joey_V
    I was talking more like maaaybe if I get lucky I would attain this table kind of dream table
  • Joey_V
    This is probably going to be shelved in the i will never be able to afford it section

The Nagra Reference Anniversary

Wow

urjjsrer1ruf.jpeg
    jps5t188he3v.jpeg
    ytq9zputsydf.jpeg
    h2qyjaqq0052.jpeg
    sgt5105taxzf.png
    oxgehv6c29jy.png
    kv6fkz03hdwi.png
    fwgw5ilxa1nj.png
    oo2a6mjeddj5.png
    521mltytmdh9.png
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 989
    edited February 2023
    Does it come with a T shirt?

8jbawja7x5kq.jpg

If they did.... genius!

Same with the new Coke Formula years back 🤪
  • That NAGRA is sweet but I agree I will never own it. Oh well gotta be happy with my Technics 1200G L O L !! 1st world problems 😂
  • I have simpler tastes and I can spend the money difference on the right cartridge ;)

https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2012/03/luxman-pd-444-1978.html?m=1
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Joey_V
  • ^ Way impressive.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    I don't spin vinyl, but if I found one off these units, I may give it a spin...

Always have an open eye for one strictly for it's aesthetics...

b2elvctexy9r.jpg

jst2c5snd690.jpg

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Is that a Bang & Olfson or Tandberg?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Looks like a B&O Beogram 1202.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • xschop
    edited February 2023
    Beogram 1200. The 1202 doesn't have the brushed aluminum controls.
    I would build some goodies for it.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    Don't think that Tandberg ever built, or even sold a badge-engineered, tt. They were, first and foremost a magnetics company (even after they abandoned the hifi market).

As an aside, I am sure any of all y'all who know the 1960s-era b&o components knows that David Hafler sold some of the b&o products of the era as "Dynaco" (adjunct) products. :)

10djb7cfpe4i.png
    source: https://www.psaudio.com/copper/article/building-my-first-system/

fo4vjk50ieuf.png
    source: https://museumofmagneticsoundrecording.org/RecordersBangAndOlufsen.html

I don't know how viable the generation of b&o cartridges shown above is at this late date? Does Soundsmith retip them? I don't think that they (or anyone else) has replacement cartridges.

I have one of the much later, and rather cheezier (although not bad) TX-2 tangentials. Soundsmith does make replacement cartridges for those, although I bought probably one of the last MMC-4 sold by the b&o store in Boston when I got the TX-2. ;) I shoulda bought an MMC-2! :blush:

10947870536_429228a872_c.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    well -- heck! :blush:

There were Tandberg tts. Can't even guess if Tandberg made 'em, or they used CEC or someone like that. The arm reminds me of, e.g, a Technics SL-23, but I don't think it is a Technics arm. :p

sgnnmjoqojzn.png
    random internet photo
  • xschop
    Nice looking TT also.

If cartridges are NLA, can others be retro-modded to fit/work?
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    Generally, no. There were several (three, at least... I think) generations of proprietary cartridge mounts for b&o tts (arms) from the 1960s to the turn of the century. b&o designed their record players as systems, with minimalist arms designed for their MI cartridges, and vice versa. There were adaptors for some (perhaps all?) generations of b&o cartridges to use them on standard 1/2 inch mount arms/headshells, though.

Soundsmith had/has a deep appreciation and understanding of the b&o MI ("micro moving cross", MMC) cartridges, though, and has done yeoman service in providing retipping support over the years. They also still make replacement cartridges for the last generation of b&o arms (i.e., the mount on that TX-2).

N.B. I am not a b&o expert, so these are all semi-informed opinions; not to be taken as Gospel! :)

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    Nothing tracks a warped record like a B&O turntable with a high compliance cartridge, in my semi-humble opinion.
  • xschop
    Nothing tracks a warped record like a B&O turntable with a high compliance cartridge, in my semi-humble opinion.

I would build a turntable clamp to match, but good too know.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    A clamp could effect the turntable's suspension tuning unless it was very light weight.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited March 2023
    A clamp could effect the turntable's suspension tuning unless it was very light weight.

Like Joe's clamp on a Linn LP12.

76axyq1aismw.png

Speaking of warps, I got this LP from a guy who said it wouldn't play on his table.

https://youtu.be/YYD9CIWJELc
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *