Your dream turntable?

124»

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,453
    Evidently B&O is building 95 turntables to commemorate their 95th anniversary, selling for $11,500.00 each.

t3kbb8m9lx8w.png
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 989
    Always loved the look of this table.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Evidently B&O is building 95 turntables to commemorate their 95th anniversary, selling for $11,500.00 each.

t3kbb8m9lx8w.png

Is that two arms?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    edited March 2023
    If I remember correctly the inside most arm is to help avoid having the tonearm come down on an empty platter. It also might help with playing different sized records.
    Post edited by SeleniumFalcon on
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    the second arm, as @SeleniumFalcon intimates, is a sensor. All (?) of the b&o tangentials were so equipped (AFAIK).

24867785284_7884923c12_c.jpg

The b&0 4004 (check, that, it's the 4000) is in the NY MOMA permanent collection (or it was, at any rate). They're gorgeous, indeed. They work(ed) pretty well, too.

https://www.moma.org/collection/works/2483
    (I cannot help but to hear Jacob Jensen in my head intoned by a goofily stereotypical, singsong Scandinavian accent :/ Shame on me.)

$11.5k doesn't seem outrageous in this day and age for such a piece -- especially coming from a company like b&o (who aren't exactly the entry-level/commodity sound bar kind of organization). :)

• mhardy6647
    Now you're just rubbing it in, @SeleniumFalcon
    ;)
  • mhardy6647
    aww, heck -- why not join the fun? ;)

nfwund01fkuf.png
  • SeleniumFalcon
    ^ The handmaiden plays a record:

0n04y7a1557d.png
  • mhardy6647
    I just watched the video on b&o's site -- it's all heartwarming and stuff. :blush:
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    ^ The handmaiden plays a record:

0n04y7a1557d.png

You sure that's not a Manson follower..........Then again maybe they all "aged" out :#:#
  • mhardy6647
    I think I am gonna start a thread on this new/old b&o. Seems only fair...
    :D
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    edited March 2023
    Oops Copyrighted
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    l7zu0yc7g0cy.jpg

While it may not be my dream TT, as I already have a decent one IMO, this one did make me do a double take. Very nice with clean lines - White J.Sikora Initial Max.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 424
    treitz3 wrote: »
    l7zu0yc7g0cy.jpg

While it may not be my dream TT, as I already have a decent one IMO, this one did make me do a double take. Very nice with clean lines - White J.Sikora Initial Max.

Tom

If I purchased that (fat chance), I wonder which Beatles' album I would play first? Hhhhmmmmm....
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 674
    That raises an interest question. What is your goto album when you are testing out a new turntable or cartridge? Mine is usually Pink Floyd, "The Wall" but sometimes Jethro Tull, "Songs from the Wood".
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    newbie308 wrote: »
    That raises an interest question. What is your goto album when you are testing out a new turntable or cartridge? Mine is usually Pink Floyd, "The Wall" but sometimes Jethro Tull, "Songs from the Wood".

Judas Priest. What else?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • newbie308
    Turbo Lover?
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    From Pink Floyd, I like Wish You Were Here, and especially the title track. There are some audio ques I listen for.

Brothers in Arms, from Dire Straits, is another...particularly side two.

Aja, from Steely Dan, is yet another.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 424
    Depends...

xkbhqc7s83rq.jpg
    07ot73wqyjtq.jpg
    ox2owk6505c1.jpg
    bjyujljhm1vs.jpg

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • newbie308
    Billie Holiday has such a beautiful voice! She is definitely a good choice. I should have been more specific. In particular, I use the song, "Nobody Home". I listen for the television in the song. With a good cartridge and setup, I can more clearly hear what the woman says on the TV.
  • Nex
    Nex Posts: 36
    My dream is digital
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    …I listen for the television in the song. With a good cartridge and setup, I can more clearly hear what the woman says on the TV.
    I hope this makes sense as it parallels.

MFSL’s UHQR of “Dark Side of the Moon.”

Per one of the guys that got me into this marvelous pass time so many years ago says “play the track that has a brief stretch of spoken words w/a ton of ‘verb &/or echo. You can “measure” a TT’s “information retrieval quality” by if or how well you understand that portion of the track.

$0.02

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work