What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,056
    Options
    I mean the lampizator is a mix of PTP and circuit boards so... PTP on a build like this is very tedious to make it look like it was built somewhere other than a kitchen table.

Both very good DACs but the ANK is just a better sounding DAC for my setup from low end to top end, dynamic, spatiality, etc.

The ANK is based around a $60k Audionote DAC as well...

The Lampizator sounded well enough in the time I was playing it that I was browsing the lampizator website checking out the newer models but once the ANK was plugged back in I knew this particularly lampizator would not be replacing the ANK.

I would like to hear a newer, high end Lampizator... but it looks like similar build to the ANK is north of 10k so... will be a long time short of an amazing deal! :persevere:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    Options
    The build quality appears better in the ANK as well. The Lampi looks like it was built on a kitchen table…

The serial number 313 on Trey’s Lampi would indicate that it’s about five years old. Believe me, they don’t look anything like that anymore… Fit and finish is excellent, looks very modern and streamlined, including an OLED display if you’ve got volume control.

r2zsst756cn0.png
    bxjgddodx9tx.png

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    What amazes me about that company is just how many different models they have. I can get mind blowingly confusing.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    They might as well not have models since each unit can be customized.

Everything on the website is the base model, essentially
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Makes me wonder how they keep track of each unit...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Options
    Apparently there is a log kept off each serial number
  • GlennDog
    Options
    I’m not sure which ANK you’re rocking, but if it’s this one, that’s not comparing apples to apples.

I’m not well versed with the older units, but I’m thinking that the 313 serial # sold for less than 1/2 of this one

jyoo1pa42ixi.png

treitz3 wrote: »
    Makes me wonder how they keep track of each unit...

Tom

Betcha it’s like a VIN # ... easy peasy
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    Options
    Level 5 gen 4 was around 6k msrp based on the reviews I read.

Level 4 was around 4k
  • VR3
    Options
    Keep in mind that ank link you used is for a diy kit.

Zero dealer network, no advertising budget, two man show that works with audio note engineers.

Lampizator has a full dealer network etc... Whole different cost overhead
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Fair point . . . I must admit, I know next to nothing about Audio Note.
    I do know Koray @nostubestore.com claims his 6X5 rectifiers best the ank stock tubes (whatever ank uses, maybe EH or JJ, I dunno)

https://www.nostubestore.com/search/label/6X5

In my search down the Lampizator rabbit hole, I came across this ad claiming his serial #707 DAC was purchased in 2015
    It’s probably fair to say that the 2 box Lampi technology is a decade old.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649938409-lampizator-big-7-dac-with-riccardo-kron-anniversary-special-edition-kr-audio-300b-and-5u4g-tube-more/

The AN Kits are interesting, I’ll get my learn on 🧐
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    Options
    Ank provides tubes that prove they work, definitely nothing fancy.. 80 dollars total.

ANK makes a fantastic product... As does lampizator!

I definitely would like to hear a newer one like the big 7 or higher, but that's a substantial investment
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    The RTR NOS DACs by SW1X also look pretty nice B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    Options
    Wouldn't mind hearing that either haha
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Make it happen, Captain!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    Options
    30sqdane910c.png

Well, it appears as if I am getting Trey's sloppy seconds. In this case? I don't mind. The "loser" between the fight on DAC's in Trey's system is coming my way sometime soon.

I have spent more than I care to disclose recently going a completely different route to upgrade my NAP versus spending the dough on his ANK DAC. I will say this (and I have told him this many times), the ANK is the best sounding DAC I have personally heard sub 32K. It does things that other DAC's at that price range and less don't do.

He did good with that DAC and that was the path I was gonna take. Then the Ethernet cable "thing" happened and I took a different path. While I am glad I did, that took me out for the meantime in getting the DAC of my choice (The ANK 5.1 with the quad core).

So, I still wanted to get a "real" DAC for the streamer and the Marantz, so....here we are. Now to look for an appropriate USB cable. Any suggestions for something that does not have a sonic signature? Read, "Neutral" but offers great imaging/spatial locationality cues.

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    Coax cable
  • GlennDog
    edited January 2023
    Options
    What’s that tall drink of water that’s slightly right of center?

I’m considering a KR 274B rectifier for my latest acquisition

BTW ... CONGRATS! Looking forward to your impressions

FWIW I like the WW USB Platinum Starlight 7 from LUMIN into Lampi. But thinking of trying one of the offerings from Final Touch Audio
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • VR3
    Options
    Yeah I don't believe the lampizator usb connection is an active connection versus just a place holder which apparently is common for the earlier models.

The 5.1 uses a 5u4g rectifier or a 274b
  • treitz3
    Options
    I am thinking of Pink Faun for a USB cable. Many folks seem to like that. I don't know anyone here that has even so much as mentioned them...

Tom
  • jdjohn
    Options
    I'm playing catch-up a bit here, but I'm thinking ANK = Audio Note Kit? Straight-up Audio Note products are not DIY. Am I on the right track here?
  • VR3
    Options
    Ank does offer pro builds, which mine is by "Digital Pete" in flordia

Audio note does not offer any of its actual products as a diy kit however thr actual products and the kits are based on similar designs.
  • VR3
    Options
    xskcsjmcmxf1.jpg

60k audionote level 5 DAC
  • treitz3
    Options
    ...only a cool double digit more in cost will get you this....

pyql4yfbdl2o.png

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    Only bad **** people have duelund caps in their water cooled computer!
  • treitz3
    Options
    t1aaj0q040ld.png

Tom
  • treitz3
    Options
    Duelund caps take VERY long time to break in, no?

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    Is that actually a dac or an audiophile computer?

• treitz3
    Options
  • VR3
    Options
    Based on that link, it looks more like a server and streamer versus a dac.

The build quality is impeccable however!
  • jdjohn
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Ank does offer pro builds, which mine is by "Digital Pete" in flordia

Audio note does not offer any of its actual products as a diy kit however thr actual products and the kits are based on similar designs.
    I've got a soldering iron and a DMM. Can I be "Digital Jody"? It kind of rolls off the tongue.