Post a picture... any picture

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited November 2022
    I went out to rake some leaves for trash pick-up day. As I walked on my drive for a few seconds I spotted a little white feather floating down from over my house.

I've seen this feather snowing years before. A hawk was eating a bird in a tree behind our house. The plucked feathers were falling in front of our kitchen sink like snow. It was July or so and my brain was very confused. I went out and saw why.

Well 2 days ago, it happened again but I was outside this time. So I looked up in the tree behind the house and nothing. But I spotted the feathers falling out from a high spot in the huge Oak at the back of our yard. I spotted the Hawk after a hard time looking because it was so high up and it was at a thick fork in a limb. The thick fork hid the Hawk pretty well.

I got my wife to come to watch this nature event too. The feathers would slowly come floating down every 30 seconds or so for quite a while still. The breeze was slowly blowing toward our driveway. We got out binoculars and still had a hard time seeing the Merlin.

Its 3-banded tail and bright white under the hind end were about all we could see for a while.

After 10 minutes or so, my wife said maybe her nice camera could get a picture of it. She got one or two clear shots of it too. I'll post one soon. She's working right now. She just sent me a picture. She only got one. The Merlin was facing the other way for most of our observance.

It was also literally a pain in our necks to be looking straight up at it most of the time. :s

We have Bird ID books and saw that it's a Merlin. The first Merlin that we think we've seen here. They only come down to Wilmington NC. in the Winter.

We feel the victim was a dove, but we are not 100% sure since the carcus is still up on the fork.

Oh, a squirrel went close to the Hawk a few times over that 1/2 hr. of watching. Close. It's our second time seeing a squirrel watching a Hawk from a 6' or so distance as the Hawks killed or was eating its prey. The first observance was a Hawk killing a snake in our front yard a month ago. A squirrel was sitting upright on our front steps watching the Hawk do its stomping the snake. That squirrel watched as long as we did, lol. About 5 mins. or less. Then the Hawk took the snake to a tree across from our house and my wife watched it eat the snake for 10 to 15 minutes.

There is a fork but it can't be seen in her picture. The head of the Merlin was visible now too. I guess after a short time it saw us watching it and it had to watch us too. LOL

It's a 12"-14" Hawk. The bird book said it might be small for a Hawk but its Talons are HUGE. Any target it goes after is going to surely die. :#

uyk6okb5x8vy.png

Merlin Hawk Talons;
    hgh0hzcy62ey.png

Here's a Merlin from the web;
    8icxitm854a9.png

Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Several years ago, I heard a scream in our back yard and looked out. On the ground near our feeder was a merlin with a finch in its talons. I watched for a while as it was kind of kneading the body. I wanted a close look, but my binoculars were elsewhere. Sure enough, he was gone when I got back, but you could see which way he went from the trail of feathers on the ground. Later, after I started birding with the local Audubon Society, someone told me that merlins seldom miss their targets and often pick birds off of feeders. Merlins in the Pacific Northwest are very dark by comparison with your photos.
  • img
    I told my girlfriend right away my stereo,records and big screen is the main staple of the living room /family room and always will. Just so she knew this before we moved in together.
  • New Dio Holy diver great remaster.
    New cover art. Best lp vinyl of holy diver.2yri1ti6s1w1.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Clipdat wrote: »
    rdbp88d182cn.png

:*

I have those in my bedroom...Dyn C1 II Signatures...wife love the way they play boom chicka wow wow music ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »
    rdbp88d182cn.png

I have those in my bedroom...Dyn C1 II Signatures...wife love the way they play boom chicka wow wow music ;)

Nice I wonder how they sound compared to my legacys .
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Close, Contour S 1.4 LE.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    rdbp88d182cn.png

Nice I wonder how they sound compared to my legacys .

They are an awesome speaker, hence why I still own them. They do like power as I power them with a MW KWI-200, another piece I will never sell.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    edited November 2022
    @txcoastal1 - keep it in your pants dude.
    I'll try, too. sheesh.
    schiit. there is nothing I can say to make this sound less gey.
    rdbp88d182cn.png

I disabled signatures.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Ummm….

cfprduk1uw6j.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Ummm….

cfprduk1uw6j.jpeg

Guess that explains why Mopar Chrysler Diamler FCA Stellantis brought back the glow-in-the-dark Jeeps...

s4an6vcjilbr.png
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    daddyjt wrote: »
    9pe3mb5wuavr.jpeg

ha, ha, ha! I'm die-ing here...

zfa4cbs3brfa.png

:#

Worthy of this thread.