SDA SRS new to me

Comments

• skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 990
    edited November 2022
    VR3…
    What is the manufacturer of that 91uf cap?
    VR3 wrote: »
    Nvm, found a pic.. You can kind of tell what's up in the photo

5q4gu2bgtd79.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Solen
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    I think solen is the only manufacturer that makes the 130uf film caps
  • Clarity Cap PX 250V comes in 100 and 30. I've never heard it explained exactly what the reason is for wanting them to be close to or equal when combining two or more caps.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    Remember they are actually making 260 and you can use any variation... Like 4 x 65uf etc
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited November 2022
    Clarity Cap PX 250V comes in 100 and 30. I've never heard it explained exactly what the reason is for wanting them to be close to or equal when combining two or more caps.

Because the lesser cap will act like a bypass cap.

Remember they are actually making 260 and you can use any variation... Like 4 x 65uf etc

I used multiple Axon caps for the SDA2a I did.
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2022
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Clarity Cap PX 250V comes in 100 and 30. I've never heard it explained exactly what the reason is for wanting them to be close to or equal when combining two or more caps.

Because the lesser cap will act like a bypass cap.

I used multiple Axon caps for the SDA2a I did.

I just used 2 solen 130uf, but that's the only thing I would use solen for.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited November 2022
    Reliable Capacitors Audiocap PPMF-AC could be a good option for you. They make custom values, or you could parallel a 60uf with a 70uf.

Oops forgot the link:

http://www.reliablecapacitors.com/products/audio-cap.html#audio-cap-ppmf-ac
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • ^ thank you.

Just ordered my first two caps.
    Two 130uf Solen 400v.

From reads sounds like solen ok for that application.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Yep
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Have a question y’all…
    Is this a bad practice, electrically, to put my two 130uf caps at this position so close to the inductors?

Trying to make the most room on the pc board that I can for the rest of the large pieces to come.

Need your input…
  • F1nut
    Put them in the L under the board.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• That was my other thought.
  • F1nut
    skipshot12 wrote: »
    ^ As in this….

This, but put the right one on the L.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Remove the inductors, drill holes in the metal mounted then zip tie the caps to those mounts
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited December 2022
    @skipshot12 ....use the attach image instead of attach file...so images are public on thread. If you are using your phone then click the choose file under imnage and it will direct you to choose photos on your phone

au1todw0r7ga.png

zmbc5lvfb1f6.jpeg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2022
    Jesus who's that fugly mucker ...... in that picture?

😎
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    :D:D:D My daughter sent me that pic tonight...It was from a few years ago while I was telling a joke
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    It's a classic! Love it!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Boy, @Hermitism is going to have a heyday with that one come next Halloween.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 990
    edited December 2022
    Was ordering resistors and caps and would like opinions please.

Ok to do this or not recommended….
    All Sonicaps or a mix of Sonicaps & ClarityCaps?
    Those four 20uf Sonicaps are right at $280.
    I can get the 20uf Clarity Caps at a little less than half that.

Mix, don’t mix?

Can also get all values in the ClarityCaps except the 4.4uf, would have to do two 2.2’s in parallel.

Thoughts, opinions & recommendations y’all….
  • ^ All the resistor values @ Sonicraft as recommended…
  • F1nut
    Don't mix unless you absolutely have to.

President of Club Polk

• Thanks Jesse.

That's what I was thinking too.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2022
    +1 to Jesse's advice. Sonicaps in all my SDA's.

I used to live in the same town as Jeff, owner of Sonic Craft (designer of Sonicaps), and spent a little bit of time w/him when I picked up an order. He's a great resource and knowledgeable as he l l if you get him on the phone. He knows his stuff and worth chatting with.

Good to see your progress, Skip!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • pitdogg2
    True that @JayCee. Jeff gave me a call one night after I inquired about a product he couldn't answer right away. Holy cow Batman we talked for almost 3 hrs. The dude is smart as a whip and funny as ****! It all started with a question about Rhodium 😆