One can dream, can't they? - Audio Exotics

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Looks like Altec 1505 horns on top -- is there any other hifi equipment in that photo?

;)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Getting back on track, I was able to track down one of the amps in the rigs...

Zanden Kaun 12019 amps - https://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/07/new-zanden-kaum-super-tube-amplifier.html

This is a 530 pound push pull Super Tube amp. It sure didn't look that big in the first photo..

5tbtubeef995.png

lttbghxx11wj.png

Tom

This is what my room would look like if I get active again and sell off a bunch. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I can dream...bump
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    And again...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    Tony M wrote: »
    Getting back on track, I was able to track down one of the amps in the rigs...

Zanden Kaun 12019 amps - https://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/07/new-zanden-kaum-super-tube-amplifier.html

This is a 530 pound push pull Super Tube amp. It sure didn't look that big in the first photo..

5tbtubeef995.png

lttbghxx11wj.png

Tom

This is what my room would look like if I get active again and sell off a bunch. :)

Me too but I would have to sell off a bunch of cars, my house and cash in my 401K and a few stocks. That would probably buy the speakers. Then I could start saving for the amps. LOL
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited November 2022
    VR3 wrote: »
    I honestly feel exhausted looking at systems like this.

I will never forget the day we sold my Dad's Grande Utopias... 5 men and a fork lift, honestly makes you have a head ache just thinking about it!

I'm sure it sounds good, but then again maybe not. I've heard alot of bad audio from systems like this!

Oh, you are just jealous that they don't have a playpen in between the speakers! Plus, now that our systems have changed.....I wonder if people look at our systems now and think the same thing.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited November 2022
    I laughed when j read that post considering there's a pair in my living room hahaha.

To be fair my Dad's were in crates when we sold them and literally clicked in at 700 plus pounds each crated!

Play pens should be a required acoustic treatment as it really ties it all together
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Um.......okay then.

1wik734n6zq8.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I'm sure that Finn Juhl chair in that room is one of the original 78 made, they used to sell for over $100,00, the replicas produced currently are $14,000.
  • treitz3
    I need to switch professions and start building chairs! Wowzers.

93t5j55xmpac.png

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Wonder how long his turntable cables are?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    invalid wrote: »
    I'm sure that Finn Juhl chair in that room is one of the original 78 made, they used to sell for over $100,00, the replicas produced currently are $14,000.

Which image has the chair?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Wonder how long his turntable cables are?

I would hope that the rig is on the opposite side of the wall from where that TT is. If not?

Tom
  • VR3
    Obviously Bluetooth connection
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    yter8na9g6mg.png

Talk about near field...geesh!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    Must be cold over there.....they are sitting so close, they can warm their feet up on the amps.

Tom
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    F1nut wrote: »
    yter8na9g6mg.png

That type of nearfield reminds me of RMAF 2013 with the TOTL MBL's
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    yter8na9g6mg.png

Didn't help, did it!?!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    yter8na9g6mg.png

Didn't help, did it!?!

Nope
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Didn't think it would. I am what you would call, NOT a big fan of those speakers at all.

I'd rather listen to a Bose system. No lie.

Tom
  • treitz3
    I'd rather listen to a Bose system. No lie.

Please allow me to offer a bit of insight with this one. I was up at Jolida's HQ's and they had an MBL setup in the "Big Boy" room. It was hooked up to a serious front end and (at the time) supposedly, the East Coast's best reel to reel tape deck.

When they turned the system on? OMG. Those speakers radiated a sound that was like a TV tube sound, multiplied in Db by 120 percent. I literally had to hold my hands in between the speakers just to walk up to the system to turn it off.

That was/is and remains one of the worst audio experiences I have EVER had.....and trust me, I have heard alot of bad systems. Some of them, well over a million dollars in cost.

I was also taken aback about the complete lack of bass/mid bass. The upper frequencies (annoying unwanted noise aside) did not match at all what the laughable bass was.....or, shall I say wasn't.

I have heard B&W speakers have better bass than those pieces of ****.....and that's sayin' something.

I was NOT kidding that I would much rather listen to a Bose speaker. That would be refreshing after that experience. Wonderfully refreshing.

Tom

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Tell us how you really feel, Tom. Don't hold back!
  • treitz3
    edited November 2022
    I report. You decide.

I cringe even at the THOUGHT of those speakers. It's akin to fingernails on a chalkboard sounding wonderful compared to them.

Tom
  • treitz3
    I'm not done....I have never in my life EVER heard a violinist that was imaging 8 feet wide. Every spatial locationality cue was GROSSLY exaggerated. Imagine, on your system, listening to a guitarist....

Let me stop there. If you are listening to a guitarist and on a really great system, you can differentiate where they are strumming versus where they are sliding their fingers across the strings. On a good system, you can have enough palpability within the image to "see" where the guitarist is within and or/on the sound stage with a proper recording. On a decent to low end system, one may be able to tell that the perceived guitarist is over to the right or left but the "image" is still somewhat palpable.

Back to what I was saying....with teh MBL's? The damned guitarist was 8 feet wide and you couldn't tell what the "image" was. There was no depth or any other spatial locationality cues, other than an 8 foot wide guitarist.

When, in your life, have you EVER heard an 8 foot wide guitarist? You haven't and don't BS yourself. If you ever listen to live music, you will know this. That speaker has a "gimmic" to me, which is the tweeter. Plasma or something like that. You think I would know but honestly, I do not care. Why? Because I would prefer NEVER to EVER hear one of them again.

If I was ever sentenced to hell in the afterlife? They would play music on a set of MBL's for eternity.

Tom
  • VR3
    Well.. That settled that... I set up a search in hifi shark for mbl loudspeakers
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I've heard MBL,s sound really bad and really good
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Maybe it was a really fat violinist.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    I've heard the TOTL MLB speakers too many times in various different rooms...each as bad as the other. Tom's description is pretty much on the mark. The imaging is nonexistent, there is no phantom center and the bass is seriously lacking. IMO, they are made to separate a fool from their money.

President of Club Polk