What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Now, I have to be honest....that GD Auralic Vega G2 pissed me off to no end. Those that know me or have followed my posts know why.

Let it be known that earlier on today? I wanted to throw it in the trash (no lie).

12 hours of constant listening? There is some serious merit to why I chose this player. 4 hours ago? I would have laughed if you told me I would say this.

It's just now starting to "bloom" and there are now aspects to where....

Well, I'll save that for day three.

I HATED what I heard when I first heard it earlier on today.....but I heard it playing for the first time in months. After 12 hours? I have to say that I am fairly impressed. This is a nice unit. More to come.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314

yei6he1pf0lb.jpg

Added this logo to my AI-1 dreadnaught.

Nice Touch B)

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    Thx!
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Looks better than a factory product.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • michaeljhsda2
    Thanks, it's actually a badge from a monitor 4 and I just ground off the post and glued it to the front. I bought the case off Ebay.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • michaeljhsda2
    On the other hand the work that you do is awesome @xschop
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • michaeljhsda2
    I had these custom badges made and going to affix one to the rear of the dreadnought. I'll karma the other badge if someone wants it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/175267222218?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=JUZ2PwmKSp6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=SmUggaPeQ6G&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • michaeljhsda2
    fn9w2hoydwpy.jpg
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • michaeljhsda2
    edited May 2022
    nntcdb9chgus.jpg

Another example of his work. No affiliation.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • michaeljhsda2
    Pretty happy with the quality.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    New set of Daytons showed up. Watching RTV dry this time. Have to cover leads that set below dome gasket...

yyse7jj57sps.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    5oh8ye2kxxwy.png

Pending older brother, Cambridge Audio CXC V1 transport, being shipped.

Hoping this will check the boxes so I can stop the vicious trial-and-error cycle.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • treitz3
    Came home, saw an email about MJ's "Thriller" SACD preorder, so I ordered that one....(thinking about getting the LP set as well....3LP set from Mo-Fi and there are only something like 40,000 that will be made). Grabbed an adult drink...

Put the plate amp back in one of the Rythmik subs, cranked up the rig, put in one of 3 new albums from Gregory Alan Isokov and am currently listening to all of the albums back to back as I continue alphabetizing the collection of LP's I have. Currently up to "E"...

Life is good.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Came home, saw an email about MJ's "Thriller" SACD preorder, so I ordered that one....(thinking about getting the LP set as well....3LP set from Mo-Fi and there are only something like 40,000 that will be made). Grabbed an adult drink...

Put the plate amp back in one of the Rythmik subs, cranked up the rig, put in one of 3 new albums from Gregory Alan Isokov and am currently listening to all of the albums back to back as I continue alphabetizing the collection of LP's I have. Currently up to "E"...

Life is good.

Tom

I pre-ordered the MJ today along with the Alan Parsons Eye in the Sky 45 rpm preorder.

I was reviewing my list of MFSL pre-orders and that makes for 15 one-steps and 3 45 rpm’s.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    Good lawd, son! I hear ya'!!! I thought I was bad....Rock on with yo'bad self!

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited May 2022
    Yep when all that Van Halen and now MJ hits my CC imma gonna be hurting
    💰💰💰
    You guys suck😂
  • tratliff
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    💰💰💰
    You guys suck😂

And I didn’t even pre-order any of the Van Halen’s. I’m sure I’ll regret that!
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • pitdogg2
    tratliff wrote: »
    💰💰💰
    You guys suck😂

Yea Todd what are you thinking...I thought I seen some one step VH....no pressure
    😂 😂
  • tratliff
    tratliff wrote: »
    💰💰💰
    You guys suck😂

Yea Todd what are you thinking...I thought I seen some one step VH....no pressure
    😂 😂

Yep. I have all of them on order except the VH’s. Rumor has it that Eric Clapton Unplugged is shipping this week.
  • treitz3
    edited May 2022
    Okay.....got distracted. LP's are alphabetized to "G".....but I had to stop!

As I was listening, something that has bugged me for some time was that the R channel (only at times) seemed just a little bit less than the L channel. No particular rhyme or reason and it was only sporadically, even though the spatial locationality cues, singers, background singers were where they were supposed to be. I always thought it was the recording (or certain ones), the mix, the mastering or simply room anomalies.

Tonight? It made me mad because I knew that something was off.

So, I went back to measuring and guess what? Apparently, I made a slight mistake on the "picture" measurements. Now, I know.....what in the heck is Tom talking about?

Well, the picture behind the seating location has those layers around said picture and I use these to dial in said measurements perfectly (Read - to within a MM or two). I am very precise with how I calibrate all of my speakers, rack, subs, stands, sitting location, etc....to the point to where I break out a laser measuring tool, a laser level and measure ALL parameters to the inth degree and then some.

Well dumba** me discovered tonight that the picture was off by a half an inch.....A HALF AN INCH!!! This was THE starting point for the whole rig for the golden triangle theory. Everything else was perfect but apparently, I screwed up on the one thing everything was centered on/around. DOH!

While this may not mean much to most? What was aforementioned was the end result. Basically, it skewed not the sitting position but how I pointed the speakers TOWARD said listening position. Now, the speakers (the mains) may have only moved a couple of centimeters but now the rig is dialed in....and when I mean dialed in....WHOA!

My point is that it is amazing how much just a "little" bit of play......well, comes into play. Damn, this *** soundin' REAL good right now!

Tom
  • pitdogg2
    Dude release the pucker.... you're going to pull a loin...
    🤪
  • treitz3
    I'm good, Ivan.

The end result is that string instruments that sounded like string instruments (like a violin/bass/double bass)? Well, they now sound like a wood instrument. The Oboe? Well, the infinite microdynamics/macrodynamics are completely there to a wonderfully sounding degree. It's that last "inth" degree that elevates the listening experience to the next level.

My family has gone to bed, so I can't turn it up as usual but.....the difference (even at lower listening levels)? OutF'nSTANDING.

It's amazing how much just a "little" bit of difference can impact the end result as to what hits one's ears.

Tom
  • treitz3
    It's been a couple of hours and I have to say....when it's in line? Everything comes into fruition.

With my current rig? I hear upper end like I have not heard on many (if not most....the top 5%, conservatively). I am hearing cymbals throughout most of many songs that in the past? I have never heard before. Even if I have heard said selection thousands of times on many, many systems.

While I am blessed with this aspect, what I did tonight makes that aspect even so much better. I have always had natural shimmer. What I haven't had is what I hear now with the cymbals that go on throughout the song.

After tonight's readjustment? Some of that same shimmering no longer fades into the abyss 3 seconds later....it still shimmers about 7-10 seconds later....as the rest of the music plays on.

Measurements matter.

Tom
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    treitz3 wrote: »

Life is good.

Tom

Geek alert!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus