Documenting: My SDA-1c upgrades from start to finish

Options

Comments

• joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 257
    Options
    If you decide to use all Clarity CSA's, I found this on David's @westmassguy website. Looks like he has the 20 on the bottom with the 12 sitting on top.

1wy8lvi5744a.jpg
  • joebass3
    edited February 2022
    Options

PS - Even with the currently discounted pricing at partsconnexion (damn they were on sale yest. when I checked!), the 40uF is 25% higher in price compared to what joebass3 paid! Coviden economics yay!! Our esteemed Federal Reserve says the PCI is around +7.5% but somehow all the things I am buying every day are more like +25% to +50% and more.

Actually the price list I showed was something I put together last night reflecting the sale price that I guess must have ended! I'll have to look back to see what I actually paid, but I totally agree about the crazy price hikes since Covid. Ha!

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,724
    Options
    Brandonomics is tricky.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Brandonomics is tricky.

My fear is that Putin may be counting on it though.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Side note:

I thought there was a place to put heads-up notices, but I'm missing it today.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1742722662620198/permalink/3799817026910741/?sale_post_id=3799817026910741

nza3dktb89jy.png
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Unexpected crossover parts buy
    joebass3 wrote: »
    Here you go

I was going to wait to buy parts for a month, but... sale back on, and it's capacitor tag at all the vendors I know to buy from, so Parts Connexion it is!

Had to settle for the 20 instead of two 10's, but I'll make it work =)

Otherwise, it'll be the same upgrade as yours. Though, I think I'll copper-wire-jumper the polyswitch slot on mine.

This feels a little stupid, considering world events, but I didn't hide under my desk for drills, and learn all the fallout shelters in my hometown growing up, to let Putin keep me from finishing these things before the Apocalypse- right?

Other bits

- Phase plugs and midwoofer semi braces from xschop are on the bench! VERY EXCITED!

- Bought all the glues and tapes I need.

- Still need to get little things like solder, the faux Dynamat I like for the interior walls, parts for the new interconnect, spikes, a better little riser made than the one screwed into the base, some felt... and whatnot.

Timeline update

Shooting for a first listen at the end of April, beginning of May.

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    Cost update!

O.k., how bad did I blow my budget?

I gave myself a budget of $1000 all in.

Well, I didn't do too bad!

Rounded up, for the original speaker purchase and everything (save 2 items I hope to scare up around the house for free)?

$1000

Detailed list of parts/goop/stuff on this project:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PirDDHK8Tegb6nFD9gM5J-VHFHuABQ8txKexvQOeFvo/edit?usp=sharing

Of course, I do count the drive to Pittsburgh, gas, and the pizza I bought to take home to the family in the cost, so technically I consider myself over budget by $110.

And that's totally @xschop's fault.

Not for the pizza, but for the semi rings and phase plugs. If it wasn't for him and his generosity, I'd be at $900 all-in.

[sheesh]

;)

Now, to do all the work over the next 4 to 6 weeks as everything comes in and I get each little bit done...

Oh, G/god(s)...

Did I do the math right?

I'm a wordsmitherer, not a mathmaticist!

• xschop
    Options
    You're on the right track. I want to see the DIY BH5!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,199
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Curious what you are using the endmills for......that's a crazy low price of $18 for (10) HSS 4 flute metric end mills!!

PS: Ooohh they are for modifying the plastic bezels for the Wuhan silk domes???
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    PS: Ooohh they are for modifying the plastic bezels for the Wuhan silk domes???

Jah!

Price was so low, figured I might as well get the set to play with. Either on the drill press or a CNC, should work.

WUHAN!!!
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    iwxaq8p9hyfv.jpeg

Bits are individually encased.

Better quality, at least by looks, that I expected.
  • xschop
    edited March 2022
    Options
    That's an esscccore...
    Are you using a drill press and sliding vice?
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I have 2 friends with nice drill presses, so I thought I'd follow @Tony M's method... However... now I see what you mean by the sliding vice...

ARGH

I need one, don't I?
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    I was thinking one had one, but now...
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Do you have a Dremel tool? You might be able to get the job done with a plunge router attachment w/ edge guide. Cross slide vices for drill presses start at around $70.

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-335-01-Plunge-Router-Attachment/dp/B0000DEZK4/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1ETRZW9H771R6&keywords=dremel+plunge+router+attachment&qid=1647565042&sprefix=dremel+plun,aps,78&sr=8-2
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    edited March 2022
    Options
    As long as you can control depth, you can use a non coordinate vice and move the bezel left and right till the milling is done. I used parallels in my vice to keep them true front to back.
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    - Did I get the right resistors?

- Holy smokes, that 40 is YUGE! I don't see how I can mount it on the top side without lengthening the wire on one side. Anyone ever mount it to the back?

6w94c5h3bvcv.jpegq4n4c4vd949d.jpeg
    c8p2cfqob2a3.jpeg
    hdr773qkmoh4.jpeg
  • xschop
    Options
    Mount to back, and nip the sub-bsss drive inductor spool plastic in that area.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,626
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Extend the leads mount off board.
    Another thing to keep in mind, try to keep from bending the leads back and forth close to where they enter the body of the cap. I've always used needle nosed pliers to hold the lead next to the body to give room to bend yet not to keep flexing that part closest to the body.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    WMG and @joebass3 fit that 40 in by hanging part off the board and they used 2 cable ties. You may have to extend the one lead a bit by soldering a clipping from another cap on. Not a bad idea to cover with some heatshrink too.

The big elephant in the room is....will the 20 fit??
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    Options
    I had to get creative in a similar way when I first recapped my 2Bs. I used two cable ties and made sure that side was oriented down to distribute the strain in the best way possible. Less than ideal but it worked. I quickly moved everything to a paior of Gimpod boards. If that was not an option I would recommend remote mounting like @pitdogg2 suggested.

78zzrvpbfaig.jpg
    bf6jwgei5xu0.jpg
    hd996abn8bx0.jpg
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,457
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Have Dave @westmassguy build you some Erse inductors. That would free up the back of the board and improve your bottom end. You can also mount it vertically and when you trim off the short bottom side you can solder that lead onto the other to make it long enough to reach the board.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • joebass3
    Options

The big elephant in the room is....will the 20 fit??

I didn't see this before I did mine, but David @westmassguy put the 20 under the 12. Looks like it fit nicely.

ajdb4j5ytepx.jpg
  • joebass3
    edited March 2022
    Options

- Holy smokes, that 40 is YUGE! I don't see how I can mount it on the top side without lengthening the wire on one side. Anyone ever mount it to the back?

Not that the x-overs will ever be seen, but I prefer the look with all the caps mounted on top (if it's possible). Extending the wire was not an issue. One thing to keep in mind if you mount it on top is make sure the capacitor far enough away from the 4 pin connector to allow the harness to be plugged in. Ask me how I know. 😀

4z50bgw3d9nt.jpg

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    As long as you have clearence above, below, and around, don't be afraid to experiment. Caleb went horizontal on his stack, I prefer vertical. Mounting to the underside is fine, as long as you have proper clearence, and allow room for the standoffs.

0totghilk68a.jpg
    804limgz8qpc.jpg
    chppp7xcnie1.jpg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Caleb went horizontal on his stack, I prefer vertical. Mounting to the underside is fine, as long as you have proper clearance, and allow room for the standoffs.

I'm sure both methods are fine. My thinking with those 2B crossovers was to keep that double stack of 20uf capacitors oriented vertically when mounted in the speaker to reduce stress. I was using the original mounting location. I rotated the coil to leave the two connected capacitors hanging vertically below the crossover.

SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 690
    edited April 2022
    Options
    VR3 helped me out with info on inductors:
    Comes out to about $225, before shipping.
    dvu2gjpdbxnm.png
    I'm at $940 in, which is under where I wanted to be (minus pizza and gas). I don't know if I can justify another $300.
    $1300, with internal wiring and a Dreadnought still to go (if I go all out)... that's getting into 'Is it worth it for a pair of 1c?' territory.
    I'm finally starting to put some stuff on FB and ebay to pad the pocketbook. We shall see.

Giving the Monitor 12 a big workout this past week.
    If I listen to a baseline of 72 to 75db (peaks to 81), the Yamaha P2250 I picked up a few weeks ago (thinking ahead to the 1c) is fantastic! I got it for a steal. It's just a wall of pressure that feels like I'm at a show, without bursting my eardrums for an hour of listening.
    The Hu are particularly enjoyable on CD, and I'll be able to make concrete comparisons when the 1c are up and running.

• audioluvr
    Options
    I love my SDA 1C's! I've owned the non TL 2.3's (and sold them) and heard the2.3TL's (not on my equipment) and prefer them over the 2.3's in my room, on my equipment with my ears. Here's a couple of past 1C mods to review:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/97719/sda-1cs-are-ready-for-the-upgrade-bug/p6

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179695/new-1c-purchase-questions#latest

Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    I guess I need my memory refreshed here.....what is the reason for wanting to replace the inductors?
    George / NJ

Onkyo A-8017 integrated
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • audioluvr
    Options
    It makes the dimensional drivers dig deeper (more bass).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC