Lumber & Plywood pricing is ridiculous now.

Options

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    edited April 2022
    Options
    My 3 2 x 10 x 8ft I have had stored many years are now worth $75 and I'm using them now for a project, finally. I actually scavenged them for free but holy schmokes! Did Putin do this too? lol.

My HD did not have any lack of stock that I could see, which would be expected if demand were so unprecedented as is being said.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,018
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Here's an article about it: https://www.newsweek.com/why-are-lumber-prices-so-high-are-they-going-down-2022-1681105

Lots of factors at play, including:
    - Construction boom (high demand)
    - Supply chain issues:
    • Labor shortage
    • Canadian trucker strike
    • Railcar shortage
    - Wildfires and weather in British Columbia, making harvesting and transportation difficult

That was a very good read. ;)

I then saw some opinions by people commenting on the article.
    I chuckled a few times. Back and forth comments are just like I see going on in this Country on the news. Some people trying to explain to those who don't want to listen, not even a little bit. At least they were clean in their exchanges. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,718
    Options
    They're still building like crazy here. The Local PD put up a couple of the remote monitoring stations/ cameras in a couple large construction spots that already have 8Ft chain-link fencing due to rampant theft.

Soon we'll see barbed-wire and sniper towers around the lumber yards.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Sadly, these prices have prevented my wife and I from moving forward on building a new house on a couple of acres we purchased last year. Hopefully, prices will come back down in the near future, but probably not until retailers and suppliers have sold their current, more expensive, inventories.

I plan to have a proper listening area in our new house B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    We live in an older house that we are constantly rehabbing. Often I run my own molding because I can't find copies of the original profiles. Even clear softwood lumber lumber to do this with is ridiculous. Buy commercial molding and it is an arm and a leg as well. Doing it yourself doesn't save you anything. I feel a recession coming.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,718
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Just came back from Sherman Williams for a single gallon of touch-up paint for our 10 year old home. Girl at counter said our contractor was still doing business with them and gave me a 50% discount. Gallon was still $28 after tax...

Drove by construction site a mile away too...

0gd16s6x5koi.jpg
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Tony M
    edited April 2022
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I used to bring home trailers full of used lumber from construction jobs I was working on. Coworkers would call me the junk collector and ask what I was going to do with it. I told them I was going to build a barn with it. The leftovers I've been selling to a few people who build tiny homes.

No ones making fun of me now.

m0wxxq8cyvqy.jpg

:p<3

Love it.

Beautiful foresight and follow through.

Amazing.

Awesome too. I love the stairway.

I bought 2 full boxes of spindles for almost nothing when I worked at a lumber yard many years ago. I still have them. :D

I bought a lot of things for almost nothing and sometimes free too. I also brought home Oak hand rails too. But they're mainly for interior usage.

It seems we both didn't hoard garbage like you see on the TV show. ;)
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    I could see me falling off that every Friday & Saturday for sure
    Randy/Maine
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »

Thats what the boom lift is for
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I used to bring home trailers full of used lumber from construction jobs I was working on. Coworkers would call me the junk collector and ask what I was going to do with it. I told them I was going to build a barn with it. The leftovers I've been selling to a few people who build tiny homes.

No ones making fun of me now.

m0wxxq8cyvqy.jpg

:p<3

Love it.

Beautiful foresight and follow through.

Amazing.

Awesome too. I love the stairway.

I bought 2 full boxes of spindles for almost nothing when I worked at a lumber yard many years ago. I still have them. :D

I bought a lot of things for almost nothing and sometimes free too. I also brought home Oak hand rails too. But they're mainly for interior usage.

It seems we both didn't hoard garbage like you see on the TV show. ;)
    All those pictures you posted of all that lumber you hoarded is money in the bank. BTW excellent job on all your work

Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,062
    Options
    Yankee style. B)

ai05enq1b7pc.jpg

Sawmills are sorta like swimming pools -- or boats. It's nice to have one, but it's really nice to have a friend who has one. :#

As it happens, our neighbors are currently in the midst of a project -- building (finishing) a house for their son & soon-to-be daughter-in-law.

Thus a busy fall of millin'.

3exbe4dr45v2.jpg

PS I wasn't goin' all Rear Window on my neighbors today --
    I had the camera out on our daily perambulation for a reason. Stay tuned...

e55spy6zi7ad.png

• Tony M
    Options
    What a nice stockpile of lumber. :p

I don't see any plywood though. :#

Unfortunately, we can't make our own. :'(
    The BIG mills have us by the short hairs in the plywood dept. >:)
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Ya got enough boards -- who needs plywood?
    :#
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »

That right there is signature line material, that is.
  • Tony M
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Ya got enough boards -- who needs plywood?
    :#

Come to think about it...

My house was built in 1952 with just boards. Yellow pine ones at that.
    There was Oak T&G for flooring throughout. I don't think plywood had been invented yet. :|
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,280
    Options
    A house is definitely stronger with 1× lumber instead of plywood or oriented strand board for roof and wall decking.
  • Tony M
    Options
    When I remodeled this house in a major way 30 years ago, the wall corners were plumb straight everywhere. The corners had 45* bracing locked into the studs by half cutting the brace and studs where they meet.

I was VERY lucky picking this house back then. I've learned some other houses were built cheaply by another builder who built quite a few of the houses on my street.

Here's a thing for plywood cheapskates that I couldn't believe what I was seeing 38 years or more ago across town.
    The builder was using that black 1/2" fiberboard for sheathing around the houses. They were on slabs too. BUT...they were putting vinyl siding over the fiberboard. :o
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Saw this tweet this morning:

e56xma253ltp.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Saw this tweet this morning:

e56xma253ltp.png

well -- I guess we'll find out if the increase is linear or exponential. :o
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,363
    Options
    Must be Putin's price increase.... :*

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Must be Putin's price increase.... :*

Tom

Is he buildin' a deck, too?!

B)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    A wooden deck on a new ship.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,915
    Options
    Yea I heard he needs a new ship, seems he lost a big one recently.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • invalid
    Options

Here's a thing for plywood cheapskates that I couldn't believe what I was seeing 38 years or more ago across town.
    The builder was using that black 1/2" fiberboard for sheathing around the houses. They were on slabs too. BUT...they were putting vinyl siding over the fiberboard. :o [/quote]

That was quite common at that time, then a little while after that they used blue dow foam sheathing with diagonal steel bracing on the inside of the walls. I could feel the structure swaying a little on a windy day when I was working on the roof. Builders stopped using that because of complaints of drywall cracks in the homes they used it in.
  • Tony M
    Options
    You just reminded me of the metal diaginal bracing strips behind the black board.

I have a 50' strip of it I found somewhere. Been saving it for MANY years. :D

I thought about how easy it would be to break into one of those homes. A razor knife and a sheet rock saw would be all someone would need. :#

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,176
    Options
    Back in 2001 the minimum requirement was that each corner of the house had to have 8 ft of plywood but the remaining exterior wall could be foam board.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    You just reminded me of the metal diaginal bracing strips behind the black board.

I have a 50' strip of it I found somewhere. Been saving it for MANY years. :D

I thought about how easy it would be to break into one of those homes. A razor knife and a sheet rock saw would be all someone would need. :#

I thought the same thing, would be so easy to break in. And these are on $300,000 homes at the time.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • invalid
    Options
    When I used to vinyl side houses with that blue foam one side of the inside corner post would just have nails poked into the foam because there was never a stud behind the foam in that location.
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    When I used to vinyl side houses with that blue foam one side of the inside corner post would just have nails poked into the foam because there was never a stud behind the foam in that location.

Crazy. The builder's were able to save money and of course they did not pass it on to the buyers.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's