Lumber & Plywood pricing is ridiculous now.

Options
Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,017
I met a man at lowe's and talked a bit about plywood costs.

He told me his 2- 2x8x12 spruce boards on his cart were priced unbelievably HIGH. I think they were 21.00 a piece.

He said the OSB plywood panels were going up every day now.

I just checked and OSB is now 45.00 a sheet. What is going on?!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/7-16-CAT-PS2-10-OSB-Sheathing-Application-as-4-x-8/50382768

Reg. 1/2" 45.00 a sheet.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/15-32-Category-SYP-Pine-RS/1003163962

And a reg. standard 8' 2x4 is 8.00 dollars. wth. :s

Surprisingly the treated decking boards I bought for 1.00 a foot were still about that a couple of weeks ago. I'll check them now... :o:s
They were 1.00 a foot! They were 16.00 of course.

Damn...in 2 weeks they've risen to this...23.50
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Severe-Weather-Common-5-4-in-x-6-in-x-16-ft-Actual-1-in-x-5-5-in-x-16-ft-Premium-Treated-Lumber/4564796
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,267
    Options
    Well, Tony,that's a sign that things are fine !
    In fact, they're beyond fine, they're swell ! 🤗

Sal Palooza
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,698
    Options
    But your July 4th hotdogs will be affordable.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    Options
    COPPER just made an all time high today. Sad day to be an Audiophile, and an American.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
    The price of everything has gone through the roof
  • Tony M
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    But your July 4th hotdogs will be affordable.

Dogs are still about double what they were 3 years ago. :#
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,327
    Options
    Tony since last year, some of those prices have actually gone DOWN. A non pressure treated 2x4x8 was at one point over $10.50 each in our area. I remember getting them all day long for $1.72 not too gawd awful long ago (4 years ago-"ish") with a commercial account at a local lumber yard.

1/2" got up to over $65 at one point and you don't even need to know the price of 3/4 because there was none. Not at Lowe's, not at HD and not at Lumber yards. When you did find it, you paid whatever the daily cost was. It was akin to ordering the "Fresh catch" meal at a restaurant. You pay whatever the daily market rate was.....and it wasn't cheap.

It's been on a downhill climb (some of it) for months now but here lately, it's all going back up in price again.

It's Cray-Cray.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    It sounds like I may have picked a really bad time to make a butcher block flexi rack. Thankfully I have the 5/8'' threaded rods, nuts, caps, and spikes. Buying just the wood is going to be painful enough.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Lumber peaked last Oct/Nov. Still way high but cheaper now.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Options
    Ron is correct about the peak. It got so bad that people started buying T-Rex and other synthetic materials in lieu of wood.....then there came the shortage with that because plastics were in short supply....because of the materials needed to manufacture plastics.

Plumbing distributors and even the box stores put a cap on how much even contractors could buy at one point. One thing affects another, affects another and it's just a Domino effect after that.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that not one day goes by without a shortage of something I am in need of. Mirrors, doorstops, peepholes, cabinets, vanities, lights, shingles, vinyl, appliances, even oven cleaner at one point.....case in point. Today....just TODAY, I had to go to 3 stores just to find 10 doorstops and 2 mirrors.

2 months ago, I walked in to get saw blades for my chop saw. HD had 3 blades in the entire section. 3. Normally, they would have about 10 each of at least 30 different types and sizes. They had 3. Frustrating doesn't even come close to what I experience on a daily basis.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    Options
    Wow @treitz. :o

I didn't know this country has slipped downward this far.

I'm thinking I'm glad to have lived in the years I have.

I've seen some recessions but NOTHING like the past few years. Toilet paper worries? who would've thought that would be a serious problem to think about.

Oven cleaner? That's crazy. Is it made in China?

My same neighbor asked if I had priced shingles about a month or 3 ago. No, I hadn't. He was having his roof replaced and he told me. :o I need to call a guy who advertised 12 bundles for 120.00. I hope he still has them. Those would cover my barn shed.
  • txcoastal1
    edited March 2022
    Options
    In 2019 I have PO# purchases for 3/4" EMT for $5.80 per 10' now $11-$16

Caddy multi-purpose clips for hanging wire $.89 mow $2.36 each and I use a shat ton of those
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Tony M
    Options
    How much can we take?
    ncjgc2l4bgo0.png
  • Tony M
    Options
    th70cnyqihb9.png
  • xschop
    Options
    At this rate, no one can afford to build back "better". The avg. cost to build a home went up $50k here in last couple months due to lumber, pricing many families out of market.
  • txcoastal1
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Construction for a 65k bldg used to be 9-10months.

It's now 13-14months or even longer due to supply chain delays.

In the chain this causes and cost over $1million in construction just for contractors and nearly $30million in sales.

That excludes the 30% increase in construction materials.....minimum.

You may think meh...big corp can handle it.

It excludes over $500k - $1M in lost wages excluding management.

So take into consideration what it costs to build back better.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Way past time to flush.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    I've got many projects that have been on hold for 1.5 to 2 years now. Sad times. If I was 20 I'd buy a small portable mill w/rails & cut my own
    Randy/Maine
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    My deck will be fully returned to dust before I can afford to replace it….

Concrete stamped slab keeps looking better and better lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Obviously not lumber/plywood related, but I just got an 18Kw Generac installed in mid-February. I signed the contract to have it done in early September. I actually called their CS number to ask why, the woman said they were making them as fast as they could. Oh, and they are shipping without the WiFi module that allows you to monitor the unit (chip shortages know no bounds??), but they promise they'll send one out that I can "easily install myself" in 3 -6 months. No supply-chain issues here though...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,906
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I am in the middle of remodeling our bathroom, will be replacing the sub-floor, went to Home Depot this morning, $65.00 a sheet for plywood, OSB is a little cheaper, but I will be using plywood..

Glad I ordered our Cabinets when I did..
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2022
    Options
    2021 was my best year in my whole career. This year my sales will be even better, but I won’t be getting paid for the fruits of my labor
    until next year second quarter when the material delivers. I was planning on retiring at the end of 2022.

Not going to happen now as I can’t leave all that money on the table.

Yeah , these delivery/manufacturing issues are unprecedented.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,050
    Options
    Who said lumber has peaked and is coming down?? I just came back from HD and still have sticker shock from their price of butcher block. At over $600 just for the butcherblock shelves I need that new rack just ain't happening.
  • treitz3
    Options
    It had peaked and went down....but it's back on the rise again and has been for the past month or so.

I have sticker shock every time I go shopping now. 7% inflation (as reported) is not reflected on the purchases made (or in my line of work, have to be made). Sometimes, and more realistically, the rise is closer to 20-27% on many materials....if you can find them, that is.

Lumber is just one of the casualties.

Tom
  • xschop
    Options
    Everything at the Dollar Store is $1.25 now not $1.07
  • treitz3
    Options
    See. That's a great example of the "reporting" not reflecting the "reality". That falls in line to exactly what I am seeing.

Tom
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    From what the buyer at the pro-desk at my local Lowe's told me, lumber prices from the mills stabilized back in September when they finally got off their dead rear-ends and got back to work. Mostly because the logging was still happening and their stockyards were getting over-full. It was so bad that a mill in Oregon actually had a fire because they couldn't store stock safely anymore.

So lumber prices dropped because they were milling as fast as they could. That was why prices were way up and supply was down. Then, in December, lots of places started building again because developers needed to get started on new housing in their pipeline so they could get the tax breaks on the "losses" for unsold housing stock.

That meant that all the mills and secondary suppliers were getting bought up before the mills could replace the stock. That drives prices up because demand is out-stripping supply. He said they expect it to level out by the summer and "get back to normal".

I honestly don't see prices going back to pre-2020 levels. They will go down but they'll still be 15-20% more than pre-2020 levels because of transportation costs.

About the only thing here that hasn't changed much in price here is hardwood veneer plywood except for birch veneer. Oak, Maple and Cherry veneer plywood all stayed relatively stable. So stable that last May, I was looking for plywood to work on a project at the house and I was looking at the oak veneer for $68 a sheet. That was only about $6 more than pre-2020. Even now, Oak veneer is $65-$67 a sheet. Previously it was $60-$64. But next to me was a guy looking at 3/4 sheathing for $130 a sheet for his shed project. The OSB was $120 a sheet. The maple veneer was about $75 a sheet. So he bought the maple veneer to build his shed out of. So he probably had a beautiful shed last year that looks like absolute garbage after winter. He also wasted a couple thousand bucks.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    Options
    5h7x480lq44b.png

Tom
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,434
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Everything at the Dollar Store is $1.25 now not $1.07

I noticed that too. Now it's the Dollar'ish Store
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • txcoastal1
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @treitz3 Ok Moonshine...we didn't need that

https://youtu.be/n7zfnbdyAW8

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    MY EYES MY EYES
    👀👀👀👀👀👀