Lumber & Plywood pricing is ridiculous now.

Options
124»

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^That must've been a "Hurry up you guys and let's get that covered. The building inspector is out of town today."
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,259
    Options
    Dude shares his experiences between the 3 big box stores

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vKfFiVJlXxI
    Sal Palooza
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Lumber cost are Crazy. Suck for me, I like doing woodwork as a hobby. I use to be able to build a bookshelf for less than $100 using box store lumber or about $150 with good A1 wood. Now I just finished a box store lumber bookshelf, $145 was the receipt total.

We were going to have our bathrooms remodeled in 2020. Human Malware put that on hold. in 2020 quote was $35k labor and rough material, Finished material was another $7k. Now it's $50 labor and rough material with finished material @ $15k

Just sucks!
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    That's exactly why we canceled our major remodel. Not worth the price of admission anymore.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    Lumber cost are Crazy. Suck for me, I like doing woodwork as a hobby. I use to be able to build a bookshelf for less than $100 using box store lumber or about $150 with good A1 wood. Now I just finished a box store lumber bookshelf, $145 was the receipt total.

We were going to have our bathrooms remodeled in 2020. Human Malware put that on hold. in 2020 quote was $35k labor and rough material, Finished material was another $7k. Now it's $50 labor and rough material with finished material @ $15k

Just sucks!

^^^ Agreed^^^
    We are in need of replacing about 450 sq ft of decking, at last check plain ol' 5/4" x 6" pressure treated
    would cost about $1300 delivered. Then I have to install it.
    Just sucks indeed.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Ain't that the truth.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Could've bought a used baby crib and nailed it up.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    Just wait until you see how much it drives up your property tax.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    County tax up about 40%
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    That's exactly why we canceled our major remodel. Not worth the price of admission anymore.

Tom

We basically have no other option. The 22 year old builder fiberglass junk is toast. Needs to be replaced before we start to get water damage.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • polrbehr
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

We basically have no other option. The 22 year old builder fiberglass junk is toast. Needs to be replaced before we start to get water damage.

So then...... you're gonna build back better? :s
    Us too, not much choice if we want to enjoy the summer.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Well, with everything else going up, we may start to see lumber prices actually go down. With the fall of the demand for mortgages and home sales along with the rise of interest rates, the demand for lumber has fallen.

This was according to a couple of articles I read this morning, I don't think the prices for lumber have started to reflect this trend yet though, as I was just in the store getting lumber this past Thursday. The prices seemed to sting a little less but were still high.

Not quite sure if this is good news or bad news...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    It's good news until we actually look deeper into the ensuing lay offs that are coming.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I see people getting wealthy off the despair of others.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I looked just now to see what OSB plywood prices were and the price has dropped in half.

Was 48.00

Now 24.00 a sheet.

I guess they weren't selling much.

I'm going back to see what Decking boards are priced like now.

GOOD. :)
    The Premium is back to almost a 1.00 a foot.

Maybe the prices of all lumber and plywood will drop further to pre covid levels.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Prices are still fairly high around here.

The other benefit is that I have some work I need to get done and it's beyond what the beer and pizza help is capable of so I need to find a contractor. My recent one retried because all his help either got sick (cancer) or went elsewhere and the replacements he found we absolute garbage. Said he was too old for this **** anymore and bagged it in.

Anyway, maybe with the slow down, the good contractors will be freed up and I can make some headway myself.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • polrbehr
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I see people getting wealthy off the despair of others.

You and everyone else. Unfortunately, it's been going on since dirt was new.