Lumber & Plywood pricing is ridiculous now.

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    Ya' know....normal people look at the humor. Youz two guyzes look at the guy?

*backs away, slowly, ever so slowly and then makes a mad dash out the door*

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    How's that 7% inflation working out for ya?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Tony M
    Options
    th70cnyqihb9.png
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    I think he means lumber prices.

Much of our softwoods in dimensional lumber comes from British Columbia
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • xschop
    edited March 2022
    Options
    At this rate you won't be able to afford the trip to the lumber store to board up your business.
  • treitz3
    Options
    As funny as this is......'cause "I get it"?

That's sad. Really, really, really sad that you can even say that and other people understand exactly what you are talking about.

How did we get here? (Rhetorical question)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    Canada is punishing us big time for stopping that Pipeline on sleepy's first frikn day.

IDK know about that
    Vancouver (Canada) we are paying $2.12 cents per litre which works out to $8.24 per US gallon. On each litre we pay 74 cents or about $2.80 per gallon in tax. The worst part of it all is we have the third largest oil supply in the world.
    Admin lied about holding back production because..... EPA dumped tons of new regulations on the oil and gas industry. This caused 15 states to sue his EPA.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/15-states-sue-epa-oil-gas-rules-ukraine-war-energy-independence

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    We had been 'planning' for when the wife retired, selling our current home, moving to a different city to be closer to Family and building our 'Retirement' home, within the next year or two.

Received an email this morning from our builder, stating that lumber has taken a 25% increase with much warning and do we still want to proceed with a bid?

Our plans have changed for the meantime...
  • xschop
    Options
    We had been 'planning' for when the wife retired, selling our current home, moving to a different city to be closer to Family and building our 'Retirement' home, within the next year or two.

Received an email this morning from our builder, stating that lumber has taken a 25% increase with much warning and do we still want to proceed with a bid?

According to the Kid Whisperer, that 25% is only 7%.
  • treitz3
    Options
    We were planning on doing a major remodel of our dream home this year. Original estimates were hanging around 55-65K and that could have easily been achieved. Of course, this budget was made about two years ago and during that time, the wife and I were researching the latest and greatest new things for the kitchen part of it.

Also during this time, we were busy paying off debt, so we could afford our government. We accomplished our goal of severely slashing down debt and we will be debt free (one more loan to go) with the exception of normal monthly bills and the house within the next couple of months.

So, Mike. I feel your pain. Our major remodel plans have been cancelled.

It's a bummer because I was REALLY looking forward to doubling the size of the kitchen, adding the latest and greatest to it, removing walls and updating the entire living area we have. We have been planning it and talking about doing this since before we even bought the home 8 years ago.

Tom

• Mike Reeter
    Options
    xschop wrote: »

A 25% hike on top of already inflated lumber prices is more like a 50% increase over the past several months. It's driven the cost of a new home to around $275.-300. per square foot.

And we live in Midwest, where prices are generally lower than average.

• xschop
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I feel your pain at the lumber store, the pump, the grocery store....etc. The real truth is the prices were increasing months ago. That's why we decided to stay put in our modest home even last summer.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    The wife was talking about replacing part of the fence this year.
    I told her no. The cost of the section in question will be about
    double what we paid for back section. I'll keep patching it up for now
    And hope costs fall in the next year.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,271
    Options
  • Mike Reeter
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    We were planning on doing a major remodel of our dream home this year. Original estimates were hanging around 55-65K and that could have easily been achieved. Of course, this budget was made about two years ago and during that time, the wife and I were researching the latest and greatest new things for the kitchen part of it.

Also during this time, we were busy paying off debt, so we could afford our government. We accomplished our goal of severely slashing down debt and we will be debt free (one more loan to go) with the exception of normal monthly bills and the house within the next couple of months.

So, Mike. I feel your pain. Our major remodel plans have been cancelled.

It's a bummer because I was REALLY looking forward to doubling the size of the kitchen, adding the latest and greatest to it, removing walls and updating the entire living area we have. We have been planning it and talking about doing this since before we even bought the home 8 years ago.

Tom

The Kitchen Stove my wife wants has gone up 3K in the past six months. There is no way to get ahead of these kind of price increases🤬

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options

A 25% hike on top of already inflated lumber prices is more like a 50% increase over the past several months. It's driven the cost of a new home to around $275.-300. per square foot.

And we live in Midwest, where prices are generally lower than average.

HA!! Not in my area. Houses that should sell for 45k-50k are selling for 95k-125k, and they're tearing them down to build a NEW house. I cannot tell you how many falling down junk houses I've looked at in the 80K-100K range. Our housing market is OFF the charts. Houses are being tossed into bidding wars sight unseen AND SELLING for 25k-35k OVER asking price. My banker I've dealt with for the past 30 years told my sons and I to do what ever we can to avoid like the plague in buying in this market. I had my sons go with as they are both in the market and wanting to buy but couldn't understand WHY I kept telling them to NOT buy one in the present time in this market. My banker laid it out nicely for them and just like that Dad wasn't so crazy. Nothing like buying and pretty much being underwater/upside down with your house and loan. This in my area is panning out EXACTLY like the 2008 housing market crash.

My good friend just about sold his house as he was offered and ASTRONOMICAL amount for his. 6 yrs ago he bought his for 250k. Two months ago a realtor offered him 475K for it, never stepping inside to look at it. My buddy met the potential buyers they looked around and asked how soon his family could be out. Long story short while he was going to make a great amount more he also found out he was going to need to spend just shy of a million dollars to get a new house. Luckily he never signed anything or accepted any earnest money for a sale. Cooler heads (his) prevailed. His was never on the market. This is what is going on here because of Rivian electric vehicle manufacturing taking over the old Mitsubishi car plant. Folks are being approached and offered lots of money to sell their house.
  • Tony M
    edited March 2022
    Options
    At this rate you won't be able to afford the trip to the lumber store to board up your business.

That was some great connecting of exactly what's "happening" now. plus one more;)

https://youtu.be/gp5JCrSXkJY
  • Tony M
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »
    I think he means lumber prices.

Much of our softwoods in dimensional lumber comes from British Columbia

He was right. I thought we got millions of board footage from Canada. It was that way many years ago. I just thought nothing's changed.

I guess Canada and the US had a disagreement somewhere along the way. :#
  • Tony M
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I feel your pain at the lumber store, the pump, the grocery store....etc. The real truth is the prices were increasing months ago. That's why we decided to stay put in our modest home even last summer.

We've done the same thing. Stayed here even though we could've bought a new and bigger home 15 years ago up until today. No mortgage for over 15 years has been a blessing. Paid rent for 10 years I guess it was. I was lucky in the rental I was in 30 to 40 years ago. It was 200.00 a month. Now it would be around 1100.00 maybe. :s
    It was 900 sq. ft. 1story w/1/2 basement. But it was nice. :)

I always hated paying rent! But I also knew I was lucky at 200 a month!

My second goal was to own a home.

The first goal was to get to a comfortable financial plateau where I didn't have to worry where my next meal might come from.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    I get emails, postcards and phones calls to buy my house.
    It never ends. After being de-annexed the taxes are dropping
    About 30%. And service from the county is much better.
    Houses go on the day listed. Investors are buying a huge chunk
    Of them. When the investors stop buying, it's going to drop
    Like a rock. 2008 will come back in a big way.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    Options
    They're still selling sub-prime McMansion mortgages to Micky-D's employees.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    Options
    Next will come Credit Default Swaps because I'm sure the government hasn't put anything in place to prevent the old deja vu all over again with the Banksters and their too big to fail parachutes.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Just caught this thread, and I can tell you my garage was well over 200% over what we had quoted a few years before we actually broke ground. Everything was over double, from concrete, to lumber, roofing, windows, insulation, drywall, electrical, even frigging paint! I'm just glad we're nearly done!

Labor support was a joke too, from people not working while getting free money, my contractor delaying work on the garage because a quick money job popped up. We almost fired the guy, but who else are you gonna get? He does quality work, so that's a plus. But our situation is not that different from anyone else I know who's having work done.

Ironically, my general contractor wound up laying the bricks himself last year because the brick guy would rather bang out driveways and make the quick cash. Even though he committed to dong the job months prior. After over 6 weeks of delay, my contracted said eff it and did the bricks. He did a great job too!

In all this, it's hard to maintain a sense of joy when you're having to constantly put pressure on your contractor to move forward. And get frustrated with excuse after excuse.

But with the end result near, it's getting easier to forget it!

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    Options
    Just picked up a couple non PT 4 x 4 x 8 ft at Home Depot for $16 and change each. Crazy.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Tony M
    Options
    Dave, it's too bad the Contractors couldn't even think about eating the cost increase like some probably have done in the past. This time around is just "frikn bizzaro world" crazy. 3 times + increases in prices of plywood products and some lumber going back up again.

I just priced OSB again and nothing's changed yet. :s

I was going to throw some old 6' weathered decking boards away today and paused....
    I then took them to my side porch for storage. :# Crazy. I'm going to go price decking boards now.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    A sawmill and a woodlot look better all the time.
    That's the way folks do it in northern New England. :)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    I had to cut 15" off an overhang of a building in my backyard last week and had intentions of buying all new materials for the job. I was disgusted with the prices so I reused everything possible for this little job. I did have to buy 2 8' 2x6s 2 3/4" quarter round, 2 10' drip edge and 6 gutter hangers at $79. I thought food prices were insane until I took a stroll around HD. It did make me happy though that my remodeling days are mostly behind me.
  • Tony M
    edited April 2022
    Options
    My projects are about done here too. My barn shed needs a new roof though. I have saved some very nice 1/2" plywood for what-ever. I have about enough to re-do the barn shed with it. Savings of about 450.00 as of today's pricing. Ridiculous. It should be 180.00 worth max.

I priced the decking boards again last night. :# They're about 2.00 a foot for premium. Reg. knotty boards are about a 1.00 a foot. :#
    I paid a 1.00 a foot for premium just a few months ago. I waited 2 whole years for those prices to come back down. I'm sure glad I bought them at the lowest price dip. ;)

What is this Country's leaders doing?! >:) Buying stocks in HD and Lowe's and maybe Georgia-Pacific probably.

I've been working on our yard for years now and it seems Miracle Grow soil, Black Kow and Milorganite have remained about the same. (for now) :)

I think the fertilizer spreaders have doubled in price though.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Here's an article about it: https://www.newsweek.com/why-are-lumber-prices-so-high-are-they-going-down-2022-1681105

Lots of factors at play, including:
    - Construction boom (high demand)
    - Supply chain issues:
    • Labor shortage
    • Canadian trucker strike
    • Railcar shortage
    - Wildfires and weather in British Columbia, making harvesting and transportation difficult
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon