Becoming a Believer

skrol
skrol Posts: 3,330
I've had an issue with my LSi15 where I just couldn't get the bass to sound right. They have the DB840 upgraded subwoofers. Some of it was placement but I think I found another cause, speaker wires. I am ashamed to admit that I have been using basically 16 AWG zip-cord for the 35 feet run. I had been wanting to get some Bluejeans 12 or 10AWG but this is what I had. That length cable can get expensive for something decent.

I recently relocated my main amp, Parasound HCA-1000A to the basement so that the ambient temperature would be lower (I can potentially bias higher as instructed by John Curl) and get the amp a little closer to the speakers. I was able to cut the distance to 25 feet, which meant that the 50 feet of AudioQuest 14AWG cable that I had tucked away would now be long enough. This is still fairly low budget cable. I still wouldn't mind going with a thicker gauge wire for this length.

Low and behold, the bass was no longer flabby. The speakers sound so much more together, transitioning through the frequency range. Mostly the bass is much cleaner. I know that the speaker cable resistance has an impact on damping factor. Is it just the thickness of the cable? Or is there something to the AudioQuest cable design?
Stan

Main 2ch:
Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Stan, adequate gauge is a factor, but the metal(s), geometry and even the dielectric make a difference.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skrol
    The difference was much more than I was expecting and should have done this years ago. My question now is, would I hear even more improvement going with the Belden 12 or 10 or Canare 4S11 (paralleled to 11 AWG)?
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • F1nut
    I got away from considering speaker cables by the gauge a very long time ago. I'd suggest looking for reviews mentioning the sound characteristics of whatever cable you're considering.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Welcome to the “believer” club! Some don’t believe,that’s fine. I think maybe both groups can coexist.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I have a few sets of the Blue Jeans Cable speaker cables based on the Belden 5T00UP cable, aka "Ten White." They have virtually no characteristic of their own that I can tell. Pure signal flow. The easy to use and strong locking banana connectors on these are excellent for making sure speaker cables never pull loose from speakers or amps and are especially good for use with AV receivers that have speaker bindings posts close together.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6DL8UU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Supra quadrax, raw per ft is easily one of the best cables on the market
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • skrol
    edited June 2021
    Most folks seem to have rather shorts length of speaker cable (i.e. 8ft). For short runs, I can see where the cable design may trump the thickness of the cable. I wonder if that is true for longer runs like 25ft or more? No matter which, all cables have ohms, capacitance and inductance per unit length. Differences in the rate that these three components of the impedance increase over length would become more apparent over longer lengths. Does the resistance become more a factor than the reactance?

I may have to start looking at cable specs and how these components change relative to each other over length. Then, what does it mean for sound.

In the end, I have a very limited budget and I will likely stick with what I got or maybe some modest upgrade. But is may be a good mind (and PSpice) exercise.
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff:
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I have a few sets of the Blue Jeans Cable speaker cables based on the Belden 5T00UP cable, aka "Ten White." They have virtually no characteristic of their own that I can tell. Pure signal flow. The easy to use and strong locking banana connectors on these are excellent for making sure speaker cables never pull loose from speakers or amps and are especially good for use with AV receivers that have speaker bindings posts close together.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6DL8UU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^^^^^This^^^^^
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Audioquest builds all of their cables correctly. They also don't COLOR the sound. They just pass the signals along without changing anything. Cables the TUNE the sound are just colored cables that restrict frequencies from passing correctly and IMO ruining the sound not improving it. Run from these crappy trash designs.

The Reason for your improvements is Gauge and length. The Quality of the Copper, and overall construction all play a very small roll. Length and correct gauge plays a way high roll in signal transfer. It's just physics.

I don't think spending tons more money on high end speaker wire especially if it's from one of those brands who color the sound , will be any improvement, I think they all ruin the sound.
    You can buy higher end Audioquest speaker wires but the improvement will be small as you go up the line and then it will top out and then you will be just wasting your money if performance is your goal, you just get nicer cooler named wire after that point.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    skrol wrote: »
    The difference was much more than I was expecting and should have done this years ago. My question now is, would I hear even more improvement going with the Belden 12 or 10 or Canare 4S11 (paralleled to 11 AWG)?

I would highly recommend you check out the below video; it may save you thousands of dollars, allowing you to buy more music or better equipment/speakers on your audiophile journey.

I do not necessarily agree with all things by this gentleman, but I’m thoroughly convinced by him when it comes to cables, due to his background.

Also watch the video at 1.5x speed to get through faster.

https://youtu.be/KzwAdwvy9l4

FYI, I have been using Blue Jeans Cables 5T00UP with locking bananas for years, and love them (I went with the gray outer jacket version). Same with using their interconnects and optical cables.

I have alternatively used Philips PXT1000 interconnects also, which are very well designed, and more flexible than the Blue Jean Cable interconnects.

Aside from resistance, inductance, and capacitance (importance of measurement is in that order, btw), is the jacketing material of cables. For example, GR Research has demonstrated how some cables act as an antenna (cables that have jacketing with a high dielectric constant, such as PVC).

Other cables act as a filter using jacketing with a low dielectric constant, such as teflon (as found on Litz-wire configurations - think Kimber Kable), PE, and foam PE (which the affordable Philips PXT1000 interconnects have foam PE insulation!). You can find GR Research videos on Youtube also.

So your major points with cables are: Resistance (low), Inductance (low), and capacitance (low), RFI/EMI rejection as benefited by low dielectric constant jacketing materials. High purity, low gauge 10 or 12 AWG, stranded silver and/or copper wire (the best conductors of electricity).

Just remember, cables are the simplest part of the entire audio signal, if they are negatively impacting sound quality, it is likely due to poor conductor materials, poor measurements of R/L/C, or RFI/EMI.

One doesn’t have to spend a fortune on these to get great sound.

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited June 2021
    Stan try Alpha Core Goertz. It matches the impedance of the cable more closely to the loudspeaker. They are ultra low inductance. I make them myself and it is difficult at first but you can save a bundle. They are not overly expensive from the company that purchased the patent and took over manufacturing. I make mine with thinner but wider copper of a better purity. Here's the patent if you are interested:

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=5393933A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=19950228&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited June 2021
    If you try $10,000 speaker cables on a $299 40 year old AVR with $50 speakers you probably won't hear a difference. The purity of the signal upstream is 90% of how speakers will sound. Cable purity probably only accounts for 10% but that 10 % can be huge if you are searching for that heavenly 100%. It's kinda like the difference between seeing the sky getting dark from a near solar eclipse and seeing the epic god like blackness of the sun disappearing, getting goosebumps from the cold, seeing your own breath and the scream of everyone around you.

;)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    mantis wrote: »
    Audioquest builds all of their cables correctly. They also don't COLOR the sound. They just pass the signals along without changing anything. Cables the TUNE the sound are just colored cables that restrict frequencies from passing correctly and IMO ruining the sound not improving it. Run from these crappy trash designs.

The Reason for your improvements is Gauge and length. The Quality of the Copper, and overall construction all play a very small roll. Length and correct gauge plays a way high roll in signal transfer. It's just physics.

I don't think spending tons more money on high end speaker wire especially if it's from one of those brands who color the sound , will be any improvement, I think they all ruin the sound.
    You can buy higher end Audioquest speaker wires but the improvement will be small as you go up the line and then it will top out and then you will be just wasting your money if performance is your goal, you just get nicer cooler named wire after that point.

One huge problem with your thoughts on the matter. Audioquest wouldn't make a boatload of different models if the different cable models didn't color and tune the sound to one degree or the other. HELLO!

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    F1nut wrote: »

One huge problem with your thoughts on the matter. Audioquest wouldn't make a boatload of different models if the different cable models didn't color and tune the sound to one degree or the other. HELLO!
    They make a boat load of different models because they can sell all those different level cables to people willing to spend the money on them. They perfected the signal transfer much earlier in their lines and kept going to not sonically improve but to visually improve. Then they make up those wild stories and cool names ( they have some of the coolest names in the business ) to make people want them.
    The DBS system is a load of crap and absolutely does nothing to improve anything. I use audioquest cables because they do make good quality cables . I however will not spend money on any DBS system cables. I have tired so many and they do nothing.
    I'd much rather spend my money on better speakers , room treatments or nicer equipment. Not waste it on going up the ladder of cables and not hearing sonic benefits.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    edited June 2021

They make a boat load of different models because they can sell all those different level cables to people willing to spend the money on them. They perfected the signal transfer much earlier in their lines and kept going to not sonically improve but to visually improve. Then they make up those wild stories and cool names ( they have some of the coolest names in the business ) to make people want them.
    The DBS system is a load of crap and absolutely does nothing to improve anything. I use audioquest cables because they do make good quality cables . I however will not spend money on any DBS system cables. I have tired so many and they do nothing.
    I'd much rather spend my money on better speakers , room treatments or nicer equipment. Not waste it on going up the ladder of cables and not hearing sonic benefits.

Just wow!!!

President of Club Polk

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited June 2021
    I just replaced my Audioquest Robinhood speakers cables with Thunderbirds. I can tell you the Thunderbirds provide a significant improvement in bass response and just overall sound better to me than the Robinhoods did in my system. Both cables use the same metal and technologies but have different geometry and gauge. According to their website , "While the Mythical Creatures are all-out assaults on the state of the cable art, the Folk Heroes use all of the same technology with fewer conductors".

Is the Thunderbird new price worth the additional price compared to the Robinhood? For me I would say no but since I got a good deal on mine used I am happy worth what I paid and what I got in increased performance. The performance of the Thunderbird is better than the Robinhoods.

The guy in the video is an idiot. He belongs with those knuckleheads on ASR forum who believe your ears are not a reliable indicator of sound quality and that everything that matters in sound quality can be measured by their tests. I browsed through the video and nowhere did I hear him actually talk about what they sound like, just what they measured. As far breaking the banana, he's a rookie.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I run all Audioquest in my rig, with a double bi-wire run of Meteor speaker cables and WEL from my preamp to the amp. Everything else is low level Cinnamon XLR. I don't think I need anything else.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • skrol
    Oookay...I think I'll stay with the AudioQuest cables... I think.?.
    Stan

Main 2ch:

HT:

Other stuff:
  • audioluvr
    edited June 2021
    25' is a LONG run! I'd be using 10 ga. or better with whatever brand you go with.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 305
    edited June 2021
    Interesting information from highly regarded Roger Russell of McIntosh Labs...
    He was a wealth of knowledge.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm
  • F1nut
    edited June 2021
    odcics2 wrote: »
    Interesting information from highly regarded Woger Wussell of McIntosh Labs...
    (Link removed on purpose)

He was an idiot and if you buy what he sold, then you are too.

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    edited June 2021
    Why a personal attack??
    You don't agree with his research, so be it.
    Did you read it all or just dismiss it?

• audioluvr
    edited June 2021
    Interesting information from highly regarded Woger Wussell of McIntosh Labs...

Damn it! You mean this whole time I could have got away with 22ga. Speaker wire???!!!
    Why a personal attack??

I read it. The problem with that article, in regards to speaker wire anyway, is there really is no findings on how it sounds. Mr. W.W. could be tone deaf for all we know. I was once told by an audio tech that amplification is all the same. Just different designs to achieve the same end result. I don't use him any more.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• F1nut
    Why a personal attack??

Read it many years ago, it was BS then and it's BS now. The guy is among other things a hypocrite.

That was no personal attack.

President of Club Polk

• odcics2
    Why a personal attack??

Read it many years ago, it was BS then and it's BS now. The guy is among other things a hypocrite.

That was no personal attack.

Guess that's your opinion.
    It was a personal attack against Roger, may he rest in peace...

I took no offence myself. I've been around too long to take internet stuff seriously! B)

In the past, I have done A-B comparisons with interconnects and speaker wires with buddies.
    Briefly, one can spend a lot for no apparent sonic benefit.

To each their own. It keeps folks working and the owners get rich!!
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Just like,”all pizza tastes the same”?
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited June 2021
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Just like,”all pizza tastes the same”?
    I prefer cryogenically treated pizza vs Domino's/pizza hut/papa johns...

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • odcics2
    Absolutely an attack on him and well deserved. Total hypocrite.

Can you further explain?