Threads

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Hermitism wrote: »
    On the older version of Vanilla, they made the text area narrow to show more of a jpg background. Now that a picture background had been eliminated, how about widening the text area and get rid of the empty space on the sides. It looks great on a tablet in desktop mode, but on a pc, there is so much blank space (highlighted in green in attachment).
    m07vi5vjzyry.jpg
    I like the green. I think it should stay.
    I disabled signatures.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    tonyb wrote: »
    I still have to sign in every time i visit on the mobile app, even after checking the box to keep me signed in.

I have that same problem.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    https://www.chargerforums.com/whats-new/posts/400293/

That is another forum that uses this kind of template or style BUT they have dark mode and it makes all the difference in the world. Not to mention they have a nice pleasing picture at the top of the forum.
    It's dark mode guys if you add it I think most of us would like it much more.

And fix the Alerts, once you read you alerts, they should refresh, they don't here. I get an alert , go read it come back and the alert is still saying like it's un read. I don't like that.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I believe I am going to suffer permanent diminution of retinal function from that green!

B)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited March 2021
    mantis wrote: »

That is another forum that uses this kind of template or style BUT they have dark mode and it makes all the difference in the world. Not to mention they have a nice pleasing picture at the top of the forum.

And fix the Alerts, once you read you alerts, they should refresh, they don't here. I get an alert , go read it come back and the alert is still saying like it's un read. I don't like that.

I don't care for the dark mode, but the layout on that forum is miles better than this mess.

Edit: Now I see why, that forum's software is by XenForo NOT Vanilla.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    F1nut wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »

I don't care for the dark mode, but the layout on that forum is miles better than this mess.

Edit: Now I see why, that forum's software is by XenForo NOT Vanilla.
    At least with that forum you get the option to use it or not. For this style of Forum the Dark mode really helps calm all this down. But yeah their style is so much better.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    Perhaps it is the combination of fairly small text and it being spread out over a very long area? I mean that other forum is far easier to view. I think having a narrower reading area, to some extent, makes it more legible.
  • F1nut
    Hansvelton wrote: »
    Perhaps it is the combination of fairly small text and it being spread out over a very long area? I mean that other forum is far easier to view. I think having a narrower reading area, to some extent, makes it more legible.

YES!!!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited April 2021
    Is it too late to simply go back to the previous theme that we had before?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    The mobile side of the new forum has stepped back 20+yrs. It is an absolute horror to navigate, if you can even call it that.
  • Clipdat
    Surely the previous Vanilla theme that the forum used could be used again, even though the forum software itself has been updated. Even if they don't have an exact version of the theme we were on previously, I'm sure they have a similar one which would be dramatically better than this.

Aesthetically this new version is just atrocious. I can't get used to it and it's visually infuriating.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The mobile side of the new forum has stepped back 20+yrs. It is an absolute horror to navigate, if you can even call it that.
    It's actually identical to the desktop site (at least in iOS and MacOS), and depends solely on ⓵ landscape orientation, ⓶ zoom levels, and ⓷ screen size.

Unfortunately, the ONLY tablet screen size that will look like the desktop view at 100% zoom appears to be 13". Even an 10" iPad has to be zoomed to 85% to get the right hand column that includes all the Quick Links, and Who's Online.

Zooming using gestures has no effect on the mobile vs. desktop display format. It has to be a "system" zoom to work. For iPads, the "system" zoom is in the URL bar (iPadOS 14, but I think it's been the same since something like iOS 10).

iPadOS screenshot with zoom menu active:

i6t9yludywa6.png
    Alea jacta est!
  • Clipdat
    Kex this is what it looks like on iPhone now. Pretty atrocious.

inz9sc6hbp41.png

54mk0z9nel77.png

• Kex
    edited April 2021
    Zoom out, @Clipdat in landscape mode on your phone, using the text sizing tool in the URL bar, and you'll get the desktop display format.

Unfortunately, on an iPhone X, you have to zoom all the way to 50% before it'll work, but then you can, zoom back in with the pinch gesture to make it more readable. If you have a Pro, it might work at a better zoom level than that (retaining bigger text).

It's imperfect, I know, but that's how it is for now, at any rate.

IMHO, it would be a big improvement if they added the Quick Link items to the menu in "mobile" mode.

FYI, if you zoom in on a desktop, it'll also switch to what looks identical to the mobile version you posted above. With an external monitor, that might work, but those with viewing issues might soon hit the limitations of how much zoom they are comfortable with before it switches display format.
    Alea jacta est!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I can’t get my iPhone to NOT look like the version @Clipdat posted. I’ve requested the desktop version, zoomed out...
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Kex
    edited April 2021
    Requesting the desktop website will change nothing, as far as I can ascertain.
    1. Which iPhone (screen size)?
    2. Are you using Safari, or a different browser?
    3. Are you running some iteration of iOS 14 (although it should work with some older versions too, just not ancient versions)?
    4. Did you try zooming in landscape mode, to 50%?
    P.S. although this will work, you will probably be disappointed, because even on an iPad mini, the text is very small at the necessary zoom level (85% for an iPad mini in landscape, 50% for an iPad mini in portrait).

Once zoomed to where you get the desktop presentation, you can use the pinch gesture to increase the text size, but to get the desktop display, you MUST first resize the screen using the sizing menu on the left of the URL field (see iPad screenshot posted earlier in this thread).
    Alea jacta est!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021

Kex wrote: »
    Requesting the desktop website will change nothing, as far as I can ascertain.
    1. Which iPhone (screen size)?
    2. Are you using Safari, or a different browser?
    3. Are you running some iteration of iOS 14 (although it should work with some older versions too, just not ancient versions)?
    4. Did you try zooming in landscape mode, to 50%?
    P.S. although this will work, you will probably be disappointed, because even on an iPad mini, the text is very small at the necessary zoom level (85% for an iPad mini in landscape, 50% for an iPad mini in portrait).

Once zoomed to where you get the desktop presentation, you can use the pinch gesture to increase the text size, but to get the desktop display, you MUST first resize the screen using the sizing menu on the left of the URL field (see iPad screenshot posted earlier in this thread).

Finally got it to work, but your “PS” is correct, text is waaay too small for these old eyes. Plus, I don’t prefer landscape mode. I do appreciate the help though.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Clipdat
    At the very least can we make the text and accent colors actually be BLACK?

Who the heck thought gray on gray was a good idea?!
  • mhardy6647
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Who the heck thought gray on gray was a good idea?!

i3n1h0xqasbh.png
    4s5yiz7jf8m8.png

Contrast is so 20th Century.

;)
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    i3n1h0xqasbh.png
    Nothing to do with the forum format but worth mentioning....NKAWTG....Noone Kicks A$$ Without Tanker Gas. We used to say "Go Blue"....blue would be a nice addition to the forum.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • mhardy6647
    We see this happy couple most every week in the warm weather, long 'bout sunset, usually on Wednesdays or Thursdays.
    Not the bu-t-t kickin' kind of customer, perhaps, but thirsty nonetheless (I guess)...

17953977378_ca203cba49_b.jpgmidair by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • F1nut
    edited April 2021
    Hey, p o r n isn't allowed here.

President of Club Polk

• JayCee
    edited April 2021
    Looks like a C-17 in the rear. Tanker up front? Heading East? May be a west coast bird receiving gas just prior to a hop to Europe.

My first 135 flight was when I was stationed @ Pease. We used to do touch-and-go's over the Portland, ME, airport. I say "over" because it's often simulated as to not put more stress/cycles on the landing gear than needed....especially w/green pilots! Air refueling training was done w/the FB-111's, also @ Pease, in support of the nuc big boom commitment. The 111's were 24/7 on alert (SAC days) and trained for a one way flight in the event of a "superpower" war. Tanker's would "hit" them (pass gas) over the Atlantic on their one way mission. Pilot's pretty much knew if the $hyte hit the fan....there may not be a base to land at after dropping said ordnance. Loring AFB was the last tanker unit on the CONUS before anything flew the "polar route". Both Pease and Loring closed around the same time.

The pic and clear sky you posted reminds me of the stunning blue and sunsets...always beautiful flying over New England, the coast and evening landings vectored in around Kittery, Porsmouth, etc.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2021
    JayCee wrote: »
    Looks like a C-17 in the rear. Tanker up front? Heading East? May be a west coast bird receiving gas just prior to a hop to Europe.

My first 135 flight was when I was stationed @ Pease. We used to do touch-and-go's over the Portland, ME, airport. I say "over" because it's often simulated as to not put more stress/cycles on the landing gear than needed....especially w/green pilots! Air refueling training was done w/the FB-111's, also @ Pease, in support of the nuc big boom commitment. The 111's were 24/7 on alert (SAC days) and trained for a one way flight in the event of a "superpower" war. Tanker's would "hit" them (pass gas) over the Atlantic on their one way mission. Pilot's pretty much knew if the $hyte hit the fan....there may not be a base to land at after dropping said ordnance. Loring AFB was the last tanker unit on the CONUS before anything flew the "polar route". Both Pease and Loring closed around the same time.

The pic and clear sky you posted reminds me of the stunning blue and sunsets...always beautiful flying over New England, the coast and evening landings vectored in around Kittery, Porsmouth, etc.

I didn't know this forum had played host to not one but two tanker crew members(!) -- the late Mr. Grand being the other one of which I knew (NJ National Guard, if memory serves).

8rkr08e3c0pr.png
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184927/the-i-miss-george-grand-discussion/p1

Yes it is a C17 (at least it looks like one to me). We see 'em flying both directions; usually fairly low (I am guessing about 10,000 feet) although usually if I have my camera, they're up higher (or the clouds are low). I am not sure its not training, but I really don't know. Hearing those high-bypass fans is a dead giveaway when they pass over. We don't get that from any other air traffic here (despite having an airport nearby that sees quite a bit of bizjet traffic).

That evening they were plenty low, but they were almost out of range before I got 'em in frame, in focus and hit the shutter.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Hey, p o r n isn't allowed here.

... doin' it monoplane style.
  • JayCee
    edited April 2021
    For the record, I wasn't aircrew like the man, the myth, the legend....Mr. Grand. I did, however, meet him once. Cool pic of George. His headset is what's called "David Clark's" and common throughout the flying world.
    q9hfrmkic8n3.png46n3784k57xc.png
    Edit to add...looks like he's in the boom pod area looking down and out at a receiver? Don't remember if he was a "boomer"?

I have a trashed set of DC's that was shorted and destined for the dump. I rescued them and use 'em as hearing protection during my loud garage projects. SOOOOO comfortable. The earpads are a nice, soft gel.

Much of my career was 135 time and I was lucky enough to get some really cool "incentive flights" on many different aircraft. Used for show and tell background in what I did, but I'd hitchhike on anything I was allowed to.

I was a maintenance analyst and conducted statistical analysis/special studies on whichever airframe, or specific mission platform, I worked on. We were also mainframe database managers for the data systems used for said data. Only in the AF would these 2 disciplines be combined...never in the real world.

One of my coolest incentive flights was on Bush Sr's support helicopter when he'd head to Kennebunkport for some Maine Coast R&R. They'd park Air Force 1, and 2 when he was VP, in the big hanger (where I worked) that still exists on Pease. Marine pilots on the CH-46 loved to make all the AF guys puke with sideways rolls and drops (@CH46E, this should make you LOL). I hung out the "gunner" door as we flew along the river from Dover to Portsmouth. Have video on 8mm cassette somewhere and it's of one of the orange sunsets I referred to, earlier. Helo looked like this:
    azhxe78gyy51.png
    Very likely the C-17 and friend you see are routine training. Often, they fly tracks which are commonly used/designated routes. Not sure if you could find them on the FAA tracking sites? We had a system I'd use to follow mil aircraft but not sure if the commercial side feeds the same data for routine flights.
    Post edited by JayCee on
  • JayCee
    edited April 2021
    Apologizes to the OP. I forgot we were in the "Threads" thread...rather, shooting the breeze in the "Post a picture..." thread; ended up really off topic.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program, Constructive Criticism....
  • Clipdat
    Black text. As elusive as black paint?
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    I'm holding out for mauve and/or puce.
    Sal Palooza