4K Blu-ray. Any early adopters out there?

15678911»

Comments

• 9niksq3bh4f5.jpeg
    6au3hwxcqp0l.jpeg
    mwf1lswobadp.jpeg

@Emlyn you were right in the LOTR thread about the Oppo playing the 4K disc and downsampling it to 1080p for my Plasma. It never even occurred to me to even try to do that. I noticed some amazingly high bit rates to boot!
    One o deez ole days ima gowna git me a 4K OLED. I’m just being patient and waiting to see how the market plays out over the next year into 2022.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Carlton why did you think it would be 4K? What display?
  • I never said I thought it would be 4K. I said it never even occurred to me that I could play the 4K disc on my Plasma. It’s a Panasonic TC-P50ST60. The last of the Plasmas that they made.
    n359s55tq8e3.jpeg
    qs5v3d92wh3c.jpeg
    No this isn’t LOTR. I haven’t opened those up yet. I’m still gonna save that honor for when I do finally get a 4K OLED.
    These pics are from Avengers Infinity War and Endgame 4K Blu-Ray discs.
  • Just take a look at the bit rates in the top left corner of the pics above. Just try and get those kinds of bit rates from any streaming service!!
    This is the reason why the 4K Blu-Ray disc is superior to streaming.
    Streaming is just more convenient.
    Again this is playing on my Oppo UDP-205 and going directly to a Panasonic TC-P50ST60 Plasma and being downconverted by the Oppo to 1080p.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    The Oppo is not downconverting anything, The Oppo is sending a full signal just by seeing the bit rates. Put the regular bluray disc in the bit rates are less and it's still 1080p. The TV just doesn't have the ability to use the higher bit rates.

That is my take on it.
  • The audio on those discs seemed to be superior to what I heard on the regular Blu-Ray as well.
    I admittedly could be mistakenly attributing this to the discs when it could also have to do with the upgrades that I did to the Oppo.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    @honestaquarian, you don't watch movies with all that info on the screen, do you? ;)
    Even in the black bars, that would distract me LOL.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/