What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,196
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I swapped out an under-powered (free) HK receiver to a Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 integrated amp last night.

This is my first experience using Class-D with my main 2-ch system. I gotta say, I listened for about 5 hours last night and was very impressed. It does not have the smoothing effect that my LSA Statement (in the shop for repairs) has on poor recordings, but it really does have incredible detail and imaging on the really good recordings. The dynamics are really there in spades too. The extra power Class D can push makes a big difference with my 4ohm/89db sensitive Sony SS-M9 speakers.

I think the LSA puts out something like 250-300WPC into 4ohms, but this Class D amp can push over 550wpc into 4ohms without breaking a sweat.

I haven't had the LSA in my system now for over 8 months, so I will have to do another comparison when I get it back from repair, but for the time, I think I might be content with this little integrated amp. Perhaps I'll be moving away from tubes (in the preamp section) after something like 10 years.
    Post edited by billbillw on
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • guyincognito
    guyincognito Posts: 128
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Saturday i finally got around to adding an ethernet switch and making a couple more Cat6e cables. I now have a hardwire connection to my bluesound streamer and my Arcam SR250.

Today was the big change though. Took delivery of my new Parasound JC5 amplifier and spent the afternoon installing it in the box-out behind the TV with my Arcam SR250 (keeping the wife happy). I put in some cooling fans and a thermostat due to the tight space. I have not had the chance to bust out the laptop and re-run Dirac but so far its a major improvement from the internal amp in the Arcam SR250 (which I really liked).m68fp9wu2lu2.jpg
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Audio Note UK gear in for review! AN-K/LX speakers in a stunning olive wood veneer and OTO PP Phono tube integrated.

rbnbndxo8cc3.jpg
    1fz1g8cqy1ea.jpg
    vki3903rjcb3.jpg
    6z1huctl522o.jpg

ikx6zekvxamt.png
    ys39umx0s6rp.png
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Audio Note UK gear in for review! AN-K/LX speakers in a stunning olive wood veneer and OTO PP Phono tube integrated.

rbnbndxo8cc3.jpg
    1fz1g8cqy1ea.jpg
    vki3903rjcb3.jpg
    6z1huctl522o.jpg

ikx6zekvxamt.png
    ys39umx0s6rp.png

I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions. They are beautiful!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Currently going through the "bedding-in" process. The integrated is quoted at requiring 200-250hrs and the speakers 100hrs.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I just purchased some items that I am implementing in my main system. I just removed the Zu Libtec speaker cables,and replaced them with Analysis Plus Oval 9's. My first impressions are a taller soundstage,and a bit fuller bottom end.

The second addition are 4 Harmonix ENACOM AC line filters. These definitely make a difference in my system. I am now experiencing a much blacker background. I probably should have waited before introducing multiple changes,but sometimes I'm like an impatient little kid!

I have a 3rd item,a Wegrzyn Custom Cable Copper Slam Power cord. That,I am in fact going to wait a couple days to introduce into my system. I want to get comfortable with the changes I made today,and also figure out were to place the power cable. It will be either my preamp,or DAC.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    NICE! :p

I think that 8" woofer should put out some nice low-end bass.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Yeah, we'll see. I haven't really tried to push them yet. They're only rated down to 50hz though, so I don't think they will be bass monsters.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Yeah, we'll see...
    If that gear sounds half as gorgeous as it looks, you should enjoy yourself immensly

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Clipdat
    Options
    The integrated doesn't have a remote, which means I have to actually GET UP to go change the volume level. Can you believe that?! :smiley:
  • Clipdat
    Options
    And it even has a remote control!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    And it even has a remote control!

:D I was pretty interested in the AN you have in for review, until it was let out that it didn't include a remote ;)

• Clipdat
    Options
    Yeah I actually didn't realize it either until it showed up. Definitely seems like an oversight in 2021 to have a product that doesn't have a remotely controlled volume.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Yeah I actually didn't realize it either until it showed up. Definitely seems like an oversight in 2021 to have a product that doesn't have a remotely controlled volume.

I'm betting the presentation will out shadow that little oversight.

• Clipdat
    Options
    Got about 40 hours on the system so far, so just trying to give it some time before I get down to business.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    Running in a Cary Audio SLP-98L. This little guy is putting out some BIG sound :)

jc369cz9nxwh.jpg

Those are very nice I'd love to have one, one day.
  • JayDog
    JayDog Posts: 266
    edited February 2021
    Options
    GEBBY44 wrote: »
    Finally getting a taste of the higher end Musical Fidelity sound. I've been lusting over it for a while and was so excited when I got home I said screw it and hooked it up on the floor of the bedroom. The sound this baby produces has me floored.

yv5ldjtvu28j.jpg
    2i8e2wxmgbne.jpg
    0bzm4coa35wg.jpg
    wt1umrgglmmy.jpg

That is a very nice peace of MF gear, Congratulations! I bet it sounds good!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Looks to be in mint condition, nice!
  • GEBBY44
    GEBBY44 Posts: 939
    Options
    The midrange has a richness to it that I haven't heard outside of full tube amps. Probably won't be able to do solid state gear without that now. Damn this hobby.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Moving things around, and decided to try this combo. Source is a Logitech SqueezeBox Touch. Speakers are Boston Acoustics T930.
    6bvxf58ym0l2.jpg
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    GEBBY44 wrote: »
    Finally getting a taste of the higher end Musical Fidelity sound. I've been lusting over it for a while and was so excited when I got home I said screw it and hooked it up on the floor of the bedroom. The sound this baby produces has me floored.

yv5ldjtvu28j.jpg
    2i8e2wxmgbne.jpg
    0bzm4coa35wg.jpg
    wt1umrgglmmy.jpg

That is a sweet piece of kit there. A few here have already spanked the monkey listening to that bad boy.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Sold stuff... didn’t buy anything but moved stuff around.

R2R with dbx now lives in the main rig. Running some 1970’s tunes on 10” reels. Recorded @ 3 1/4 40 years ago (or so).
    b3v4yanom701.jpeg

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    What are those speakers? Are they mirror imaged with angled front baffles or is that an illusion?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • ALL212
    Options
    More of an illusion. Those are Odyssey Audio Liquids.
    Here’s from the top. They ain’t square!
    zz4znfmcim2d.jpeg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,557
    Options
    Those are gorgeous speakers! Wow!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Sold stuff... didn’t buy anything but moved stuff around.

R2R with dbx now lives in the main rig. Running some 1970’s tunes on 10” reels. Recorded @ 3 1/4 40 years ago (or so).
    b3v4yanom701.jpeg

Did I know you had an A77?
    I knew there musta been some reason that I like you...

B)
  • ALL212
    edited February 2021
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Did I know you had an A77?
    I knew there musta been some reason that I like you...

B)
    [/quote]

Prbly not. It’s been in the wings waiting for it’s chance to perform.

Old tapes are a bit stretched at the start and end. Wow and flutter is noticeable but it sure sounds nice.

Hmmm. Tape is fine. Take up side doesn’t have good torque with a full reel.
    Anyone know where the zerk is on that side? I’ve got grease... :o

I rebuilt the dbx a couple years ago and pulled the stock opamps and put in Burson. Made quite the difference.

Didn’t I threaten you with a visit some year? :)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited February 2021
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I rebuilt the dbx a couple years ago and pulled the stock opamps and put in Burson.
    DBX? Burson? I have some DBX stuff. Enlighten me...

Thnx Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work