Best Tube PreAmp under $500???

Options

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    I also find that rectifier rolling can make a difference in sound, and it doesn't have anything to do with voltage sag, try rolling a solid state rectifier.

Yeah, these are darned hard to roll...
    ieyid5n1zb12.png

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,553
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Now I have to wait a little longer. The stocks I were going to sell some of, lost $11.00 a share. I should have sold when they were at $30.00. (I paid $1.32 a share last year for most of them. Some were bough at $3.00+ ) Should of, would of, could of right? I'm sure they will bounce back and ill jump then.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Now I have to wait a little longer. The stocks I were going to sell some of, lost $11.00 a share. I should have sold when they were at $30.00. (I paid $1.32 a share last year for most of them. Some were bough at $3.00+ ) Should of, would of, could of right? I'm sure they will bounce back and ill jump then.

I hear ya

Been there many times.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    If when a stimulus goes out its a good chance they will jump back up.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    Should of, would of, could of right?

Nope. Should HAVE, would HAVE, could HAVE.
  • CH46E
    Options
    My Hafler XL600 started making distortion in the right channel at low volume.

Taking it to a vintage repair guy in Melbourne FL here in just a few min.

Hope its nothing major. :s
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    My Hafler XL600 started making distortion in the right channel at low volume.

Taking it to a vintage repair guy in Melbourne FL here in just a few min.

Hope its nothing major. :s

That sucks! There's some really good Hafler techs out there that might be able to help troubleshoot. You could call Rolland at Hi-Tech Audio in Stevenson,
    WA. to see if he has any ideas.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    Options
    I dropped it off and should know something by Monday COB.
  • CH46E
    Options
    So he called me back today. Turns out the bias did not need adjusting and only minor dc offset that is not adjustable was found. The main reason for the distortion at low volume was dirty relay contacts. He said they were pretty bad. He cleaned them up and its only going to cost me $48.00. :)

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    now back to tube PREs! :D
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    So he called me back today. Turns out the bias did not need adjusting and only minor dc offset that is not adjustable was found. The main reason for the distortion at low volume was dirty relay contacts. He said they were pretty bad. He cleaned them up and its only going to cost me $48.00. :)

That's a great HONEST technician. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    And also an amazing turn around. I hear horror stories of competent techs being backed up for months.
  • CH46E
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    And also an amazing turn around. I hear horror stories of competent techs being backed up for months.

Especially around here just after lightning season.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Another very nice pre but with no remote. Now if you use a DAC/streamer as your source you can always use it for volume control (which is what I'm doing)

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649631967-audible-illusions-3a-tube-preamp-excellent/images/2765708/
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Another very nice pre but with no remote. Now if you use a DAC/streamer as your source you can always use it for volume control (which is what I'm doing)

How often do you have to change tubes, I've read those are hard on tubes but do sound really good.
  • CH46E
    Options

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649631967-audible-illusions-3a-tube-preamp-excellent/images/2765708/

Sweet, I like that. Id put a plexi-glass lid on it. But that is just too far above the budget.

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Try this site, they have a new tube preamp for about $650. http://www.space-tech-lab.com/
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• CH46E
    edited October 2020
    Options
    . To bad the Anthem does not have remote control function.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Ya, Sorry. None of these have remotes.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    edited October 2020
    Options

@CH46E, I have an Anthem PRE-2L, same as 1L but w/remote, that I purchased from @DPowell back in 2011. Approx 1 year later, I upgraded the output caps to Mundorf Silver/Oil. The 2L started my quest for additional tubed gear that's ended w/PS Audio BHK Pre and amp.

Paired it w/my upgraded Parasound 1500A and Sunfire 300/2 amps. IMO, exceptional for the price and even better with the Mundorf's. Been in storage for several years. Was thinking I paid around $700 until I just looked at the original FS thread. Haven't figured out a price but should be around what you want to spend w/the original stock tubes. It's in the same condition as DPowell described with the exception of no longer having the original box...had seen better days. Still have the internal packing.

Here's the original FS thread:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/125805/anthem-pre2l-tubed-preamp-black/p1

Several CP members owned this Anthem series and have regretted selling. I may be one of them. Not fishing but this may be the catalyst for me to move some quality gear on to other CP members at a fair price. I also have an Adcom GFP-750 (solid state) in storage that needs a good home.

Not fishing here but let me know if you're interested and we can discuss.

John
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • CH46E
    Options
  • CH46E
    Options
    Looks like I've found my device thanks to JayCee! :)

• CH46E
    Options
    Thank you all so much who contributed info, ideas and suggestions. Greatly appreciated! I think im on the right track to a quality tube preamp!

Next, possibly a Tube DAC or solid state DAC.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    And it’s a good looking preamp as well. Congrats.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    Options
    I kind of sidestepped a FS thread but only because I was thinking out loud. Keeping in the tradition of CP good faith with everyone re. pricing and the components provenance for future reference, here's what transpired:

"Not in any rush and finally decided I should stop thinking about it. In the meantime, I'll get her out and ensure she's in working order. Been sidelined since 2014 when I moved to Germany. Didn't want to run it off a 110/220V transformer.

Just looked at my sales receipt for the Mundorf's and they were $167, minus 20% sale. Looks like I have ~$558 into it, not counting the Gold Lion tubes I also purchased from Dpowell and I'm keeping. How does $475, friends/family to avoid Paypal fees, + actual shipping sound? Should keep you right around $500.

Will add I was going to upgrade the Alps pot and had reached out to Chris @ Partsconnexion in Canada. Volume is not as precise when controlled with the remote but in no way affects the sound. More a PITA if you want that micro amount of control from your seat and I decided to live with it.

I've attached the schematics, OM and correspondence with Jeff, from Sonicraft, regarding the Mundorf's. Super great guy and was a big help at the time.

No worries if you pass. Like I said, I've been saying I'd sell for quite a while and think the time's right. I honestly think this could be your huckleberry. I have history with Infinity speakers and have really enjoyed your posts on the restoration. This should make a nice addition to them."

Pics of this beauty...
    xm7knlvh8u3r.jpg
    3ankz954db1q.jpg
    j3fousmk3woi.jpg
    1aoxpeqdo9s7.jpg
    fz35sg1u351y.jpg
    ej46vosapijo.jpg
    aeg41giity1m.jpg
    3jxkwaseothm.jpg
    7r0sa7k5c1bb.jpg

Congrats to Chris. I listened to it for a while and it really is a superb pre for the price. FWIW, anyone looking in the future should consider the Pre-2L. I'm sure he'll enjoy it.

John
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • audioluvr
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Only thing I would suggest is to install some type of heat shield between the tube and cap that are in close proximity to one another. Not sure that tube gets hot enough to affect it but why take that chance. Other than that, Congrats! and welcome to the world of tubes.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited October 2020
    Options
    small signal tubes shouldn't get very hot (although in a closed in environment like that, they might generate some heat in the vicinity). Are those 85 degree C or 105 degree C rated capacitors? If the latter, they would be fine, I would think. 85 degree capacitors might (?????????) be a little bit iffy. I'd be astonished that the tubes would run more than 70 degrees C or so (and maybe even less). I assume they're some kind of twin triodes? 12AX7, 6922, something along those lines?
  • audioluvr
    Options
    6DJ8 / 6922's
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC