Best Tube PreAmp under $500???

Options

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Geez @WLDock stop tempting all of us :)
    FWIW, I love my Rogue Audio Triton phono pre-amp, and would not hesitate to purchase more Rogue gear.

Of course I'm still trying to sell my Don Sachs tube pre-amp B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    @WLDock. Wow, great list brother! Going through it now.

Thanks!
  • CH46E
    Options
    Ive seen the Schitt Freya and saw in a review a microphonics issue. If you tap on the base of the unit it transfers to the speakers. Now is this due to sub standard tubes? Or a design flaw? I have 2 nice pair of 6SN7.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Ive seen the Schitt Freya and saw in a review a microphonics issue. If you tap on the base of the unit it transfers to the speakers. Now is this due to sub standard tubes? Or a design flaw? I have 2 nice pair of 6SN7.
    Yes, it looks like there were improvements with the Freya+

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sold-schiit-freya.931427/

https://fairhedon.com/2019/10/08/listening-to-the-schiit-freya-preamplifier/#:~:text=The differences are significant.,state has also been redesigned.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Looks like someone's gotta take a Schit out of the closet.
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/ele/d/edmonds-schiit-saga/7212170894.html
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Nice! One of those brands I would own.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • CH46E
    Options
    That ModWright would be nice.

But price wise, I may keep an eye out for a used Schiit Freya Plus. But that Chi-Fi looks very interesting.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    Are there any stereo tube preamps under $500 that have a plethora of input options to possible include Bluetooth under $500?

What constitutes a plethora of inputs? I've got one of these in my storage...

3yq6m89de9fy.jpg

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • CH46E
    Options
    engie490 wrote: »
    Are there any stereo tube preamps under $500 that have a plethora of input options to possible include Bluetooth under $500?

What constitutes a plethora of inputs? I've got one of these in my storage...

3yq6m89de9fy.jpg

Do tell more. Remote???
  • CH46E
    Options
    I think I'd be ok with 3 rca inputs and a remote. I forgot to mention a remote might be a deal breaker.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    engie490 wrote: »

What constitutes a plethora of inputs? ...

One
    line level input -- and a switchbox.

B)

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,276
    Options
    Tube rectifier and tube regulation what more do you want.
  • CH46E
    edited October 2020
    Options
    invalid wrote: »

I dont know what any of that means. :/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options

Pretty lights....
    :D:D:D
  • invalid
    Options

The sound of tube goodness.
  • CH46E
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Pretty lights....
    :D:D:D

I LOVE THAT SONG!!!!

https://youtu.be/Sk9XYQMRiLY
  • CH46E
    Options
    NO...... really.... i don't know what that means.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    That means no remote.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    edited October 2020
    Options
    My requirement when I was searching for that current, affordable(ish) tube pre was XLR inputs and remote. Which is FAR more limiting than your requirements. Stick to your guns. If that's important then keep looking. Something will come around. Plus you may have more money by the time something ideal comes around. I'm under the philosophy that if it's something that you get lots of enjoyment out of, don't use budget as your primary limitation. There's some really nice stuff out there in the $800- $1,500 range and if you explain it properly to your mate, they will understand.

Of the two I posted I think the Belles and Modwright would be leaps and bounds ahead of what you have. Also I think Joules and Rogue should be added to that list basically because they are can be had in that range, built in the USA and don't have a bazillion tubes to have to deal with maintaining.

Just my 2 cents worth
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Of the two I posted I think the Belles and Modwright would be leaps and bounds ahead of what you have. Also I think Joules and Rogue should be added to that list basically because they are all can be had in that range, built in the USA and don't have a bazillion tubes to have to deal with maintaining.

Agreed.
  • invalid
    Options

The rectifier tube changes AC power to DC power and is smoother sounding than solid state diodes. The regulator tubes keep the voltage constant at a predetermined level, plus they are gas filled so you get a nice colorful glow out of voltage regulator tubes. You can also tube roll rectifier tubes, I've found them to make a difference in sound, even in a preamp.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    You can also tube roll rectifier tubes, I've found them to make a difference in sound, even in a preamp

Agreed
  • CH46E
    Options
    This Silk Audio is moving up on the list.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224164860149
  • CH46E
    Options

The rectifier tube changes AC power to DC power and is smoother sounding than solid state diodes. The regulator tubes keep the voltage constant at a predetermined level, plus they are gas filled so you get a nice colorful glow out of voltage regulator tubes. You can also tube roll rectifier tubes, I've found them to make a difference in sound, even in a preamp.

Thanks man. That I did not know.
  • CH46E
    Options
    The Marantz UD7007 should be here soon and the pre amp is next.

Taking my Hafler to a vintage repair guy for a check-up and adjustment. Turns out the DC offset is a little higher according to my new meter.

Maybe I can manage to get these Infinity crossovers done in time to put it all together.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited October 2020
    Options
    OOH! Here's another one you should consider. Nice thing about eBag is you can pay for it with a credit card, hide the cash from the boss (wife) and get airline miles to boot!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTL-2-5-Line-Stage-Preamplifier/264670054975?hash=item3d9f908a3f:g:jNoAAOSwVoJecAEK

This beauty was my first real foray into tubes, and it was such a profound improvement it hooked me on the tube pre/SS power amp combo! IIRC the Polkie price I got for that baby was way less. Ya never know what will pop up in the FS thread!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    If you were local, I’d let you borrow my arc 40 so you could try it.

Tube pres are awesome

Good luck on your search
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited October 2020
    Options

It means that the power supply uses a vacuum tube rectifier ("rectumfryer", in the tube patois) for HV power and vacuum tube regulators to control the P/S voltages. :)

Opinions differ (imagine that?!) on the relative merits of ss vs. vacuum tube rectification, stiff vs. somewhat squishy power supplies, choke/capacitor vs. all capacitor filtering. A well designed vacuum tube P/S (regulated or not) will work just fine.
  • invalid
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

It means that the power supply uses a vacuum tube rectifier ("rectumfryer", in the tube patois) for HV power and vacuum tube regulators to control the P/S voltages. :)

Opinions differ (imagine that?!) on the relative merits of ss vs. vacuum tube rectification, stiff vs. somewhat squishy power supplies, choke/capacitor vs. all capacitor filtering. A well designed vacuum tube P/S (regulated or not) will work just fine.

I also find that rectifier rolling can make a difference in sound, and it doesn't have anything to do with voltage sag, try rolling a solid state rectifier.