Best Tube PreAmp under $500???

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,499
    This...
    audioluvr wrote: »
    6DJ8 / 6922's

Never had a problem with overheating and did monitor the area after they were installed.
    https://www.mundorf.com/audio/en/shop/Capacitors/AudioCapsClassic/MCapSupremeSO/MCap+SUPREME+Silver+Oil/?card=2891

Temperature range -25°C/-13°F...+60°C/+140°F
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,591
    I'm thinking I will put a easy to remove vented plexi glass top on it. I'll be trying new tubes and love to see the tubes.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,535
    Those are superb caps!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayCee
    CH46E wrote: »
    I'm thinking I will put a easy to remove vented plexi glass top on it. I'll be trying new tubes and love to see the tubes.
    May not be a bad idea. I mentioned the 18+ screws to get into it...my BHK has 2 thumb screws and a rectangular plate built into the cover. Similar to the Bachart Labs offerings. I do appreciate the design. Just a general comment...better air circulation is never a bad thing.
    Those are superb caps!
    Absolutely. Did a lot of research when I decided on them.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • CH46E
    JayCee wrote: »
    May not be a bad idea. I mentioned the 18+ screws to get into it...my BHK has 2 thumb screws and a rectangular plate built into the cover. Similar to the Bachart Labs offerings. I do appreciate the design. Just a general comment...better air circulation is never a bad thing.
    Those are superb caps!
    Absolutely. Did a lot of research when I decided on them.

Ok ok, fine. Send me your BHK and we will call it even! :smiley:
  • audioluvr
    When I first got my Belles pre I just left it out and the top off until I found the tubes that matched my system best. Then put it in the rack. It also has a ridiculous amount of screws to uncork.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • JayCee
    edited October 2020
    I mentioned the 18+ screws to get into it...

I stand corrected. I just counted. It's exactly 18. Strike the "+" from my previous statement and it seems much less daunting. :D
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,345
    I mentioned the 18+ screws to get into it...

I stand corrected. I just counted. It's exactly 18. Strike the "+" from my previous statement and it seems much less daunting. :D

I guess if that's the only bad thing about it, I could live with that.
  • CH46E
    No wonder this Hafler weighs 60 lbs.
    Largest transformer ive ever seen in an amp.

lsaiyv2hmhk0.jpg
    82ojjmhj1dv2.jpg
    0ia5bwo40ak0.jpg
    p1nsby7j0s3q.jpg
  • CH46E
    Got everything hooked up. Sounds great. I find the analog out on the Marantz 7007 sounds more natural. But when i let the Yamaha do the DA the bass is a little better.

I prefer the analog so far.

No more hiss and the low volume distortion is gone from the amp.
  • JayCee
    I've never seen a heat sink setup like that.
    m42bj1m2232c.png
    Glad to see your amp's back to normal.
  • CH46E
    edited October 2020
    There were 7 fuses. Took them out and cleaned the contacts and the fuse ends. Put it all back. So far all good.

Looks pretty easy to upgrade the skimpy power cord.
  • CH46E
    This ain't good is it????

12hhrcq1bvt9.jpg
    dxtqvwi2ctht.jpg
  • JayCee
    edited October 2020
    Whoa. I've never seen voltage sags that low. 17 amps? Mine fluctuate from 117.8-121V.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,212
    That will affect an amp ask me how I know.
  • audioluvr
    This ain't good is it?
    dxtqvwi2ctht.jpg

Nope. What is causing that???
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,518
    edited October 2020
    If you've got an AC circuit sagging that much under a load... you might want to get an electrician in. Tonight. I am not being facetious.

Now, I grant you that 17A is a pretty serious load... but... unless that 80 VAC is very transient, it does NOT look good. Is the wall plug that whatever power gizmo you're using is connected to warm (or hot)? How about the wall itself? Anything smell warm?

Check another circuit for the no-load AC voltage. Do you have a Kill-a-Watt?

I'd also probably go down to the breaker box and listen for huming/buzzing. Check that circuit's breaker and see if it is hot. Kill whatever's on that circuit and cycle the breaker off and one a coupla times.

Where's @Lightman1? Still spelunking? ;)

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,518
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Unless it has a SMPS, in which case it probably won't care at all -- until the house burns down. :/
  • CH46E
    edited October 2020
    Ok... so the 104.9 @ 15.4 amps was me pushing the room to the limit. 7.2 channel stereo,, Sub amp, main amp, HTR amp and Denon 2910 to include some room lighting and a small cooling fan. I think my router and modem were also hooked up to the power condition that is a Belking PureAv60. It is fed from a dedicated 10 awg 4 line direct to the panel on a 30 amp breaker. The 4th line is being utilized as a second ground. (Don't know if thats a good idea or not???? Please share your thoughts)

The second photo @ 80v and 17 amps.... well I just happen to walk through the room (it was not a transient ) late at night (nothing was on) and noticed out of the corner of my eye those numbers. I switched ever outlet off and back on. No change. I finally unplugged the entire Belkin unit from the Levitron Hospital grade outlet on the 10awg line and back in and it returned to normal 121v 0.0 amps.

Is this Belking toast.

I no longer run the main amp or the sub amp from the Belkin. The Hafler (MAIN) is on the second Levitron Hospital grade outlet. And the sub amp (a Class D Behringer NX3000) on the house main line on another wall.

Not sure what to think about this 80v situation. Is the Belkin going bad? I'm the original owner and its only about 6 years old....
  • CH46E
    I've never seen a heat sink setup like that.
    m42bj1m2232c.png
    Glad to see your amp's back to normal.

Me either. 16 transistors on the thing.
  • CH46E
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Unless it has a SMPS, in which case it probably won't care at all -- until the house burns down. :/

What is SMPS?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,925
    Switch mode power supply.
  • audioluvr
    Hmmm
    I'm not a believer in the power conditioner thing. Now I'm even more skeptical.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• CH46E
    Hmmm
    I'm not a believer in the power conditioner thing. Now I'm even more skeptical.

Im questioning it myself.
  • CH46E
    edited October 2020
    If money was no object I'd probably have the PS Audio Regenerater. But....$$$$ is an object for now. :'(
  • CH46E
    edited October 2020
    With this new Anthem tube pre, it uses 6922 tubes. I have some (6) 6SN7 tubes ( that I use in my Yaqin CD3 buffer) and found that the TubeDepot has some adapters so I can run the 6SN7 in a 6922 socket. Is this a bad idea? I will be buying some 6922s to play with along with the OEM tubes that JayCee is sending.

Just wanted some feedback about adapters.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,317
    Largest transformer I've ever seen in an amp.

You should see the iron I have in my amps, or the transformers on the Carver Silver Seven tube amps...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    edited October 2020
    Largest transformer I've ever seen in an amp.

You should see the iron I have in my amps, or the transformers on the Carver Silver Seven tube amps...

I wish. Silver 7 is one of the amps I drooled over as a kid reading my dad's Stereo Review mags.

You got some pics??
  • CH46E
    Belkin not Belking in my post above. :#
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,345
    With this new Anthem tube pre, it uses 6922 tubes. I have some (6) 6SN7 tubes ( that I use in my Yaqin CD3 buffer) and found that the TubeDepot has some adapters so I can run the 6SN7 in a 6922 socket. Is this a bad idea? I will be buying some 6922s to play with along with the OEM tubes that JayCee is sending.

Just wanted some feedback about adapters.

The 6sn7 has a heater current of 600ma and the 6922 has a heater current of 300ma so I wouldn't try it unless you check with the manufacturer first.