Anthem Pre2L tubed preamp Black

Options
dpowell
dpowell Posts: 3,054
Up for sale is my Anthem Pre2L tubed preamp. I'm the second owner and would say that this is in 8.5/10 cosmetic condition due to age. No scratches or scuffs that I can see.

This has a remote control but as anyone who has had a Pre2L will tell you, it is not precise and you have to be sitting directly in front of the preamp for it to work. Better than no remote at all though.

This Pre also has HT bypass and a headphone output that is part of the tube circuit.

I have the original box and stock tubes.

I'm selling a quad of Genalex Gold Lion 6922's that I used in this amp in a separate thread but I'll discount them a little of the buyer of this amp wants them.

Asking Polkie Price of $425 plus shipping for the preamp and add $125 if you want the quad of Genalex Gold Lions.

I'll get some actual pictures of the preamp up here once I get some batteries in the camera but you can see another one that sold here: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?107736-Black-Anthem-Pre-2L-Tube-Preamp&highlight=Anthem

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
Post edited by dpowell on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Arguably, one of the best hi-fi deals and piece of gear on the market. I would HIGHLY recommend this pre-amplifier so much so that I've owned 3 of them over the years. I believe I sold two of them on here.

Also easy to mod and bring it to the next level with a pair of Sonicaps($100 + 3 hours) on the output stage.

It responds very well to tube rolling and the best combination I found was with Mullard. Amperex Orange Globe also sounds very nice....with the stock Sovtek's being marginal at best.

The volume issue is a potentionmeter related snafu and common to a lot of these models. It was identified by Sonic Frontiers and at one time repaired for free by replacing it with an ALPS pot. It works fine as is, just responds oddly when using the remote....manually is of course perfect. It's a very minor issue for an absolutely top notch pre-amp.

If this doesn't sell within the week, I may just buy it myself and keep it for a rainy day.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    edited November 2011
    Options
    If only I would have known this was coming up for sale I would have never bought the velleman this weekend. Good deal on a nice way into tubes!
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Dpowell,

I'll take it along w/the Lions. PM sent.

John
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I think this might be mine. Sending PM.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Well, damn. 2nd in line!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I may be interested if by chance the others pass. Good deal.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Definately a sweet **** pre kids. SQ is off the charts and for this coin makes it a no brainer. Mark hit it on the tube rolling, anyone won't be disappointed in this puppy, snatch it up before I put myself in the dog house.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2011
    Options
    put me in line
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • JayCee
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Don't want to put a damper on anyone's day...but, if Dpowell agrees to sell to me this is done...unless I'm hit by a car or a fellow Pokie finds me and takes me out.:cheesygrin:

I'm checking my six as I go to my car.:loneranger:
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I own the Pre 1L with Mullard tubes and the Sonicaps mods. It is essentially the same as the Pre-2L without the HT bypass and the remote. It is one great sounding pre. I'm really sorry I didn't see this sooner because frankly I would have snatched this thing up. I often wish I had a remote with my 1L. Congrats on getting one helluva fine pre at a great price!
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Dawg - You should take the time and upgrade the two output caps on that unit as it's totally worth it.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • JayCee
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    I own the Pre 1L with Mullard tubes and the Sonicaps mods...Congrats on getting one helluva fine pre at a great price!
    Thanks, Dawg, I had no idea I'd spring for tubes when I woke up this morning; this is my first time down this path and I'm really looking forward to it.
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Dawg - You should take the time and upgrade the two output caps on that unit as it's totally worth it.

Doro, I upgraded my 1.2tl's and 1C's with Sonicraft caps and Cardas posts and coincidently, Jeff (Sonicraft owner), lives 20 minutes from my house. He contacted me after I ordered all my parts and wanted to save me the shipping cost since he is across town. Jeff had me swing by his place to pick up the parts. Damn nice guy and extremely knowledgeable. He's offered to have me hang out and show me what's "possible" w/the right knowledge. I've been too busy to take him up on it, but will speak w/him again on this upgrade.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited November 2011
    Options

Doro, I actually bought the pre from THSmith here on the board. He already had that mod performed when I bought it. I couldn't tell you how it sounded before, but I can tell you it sounds damn good now :-)
  • dpowell
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Looks like JayCee and I have a deal pending me providing some shipping info tomorrow.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I would have snapped this up if it was in silver

Great info on post number 2 for upgrading this to even better performance and will keep this knowledge in mind for later
  • JayCee
    edited November 2011
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    Looks like JayCee and I have a deal pending me providing some shipping info tomorrow.

PP sent.

John
  • dpowell
    edited November 2011
    Options
    This preamp is SOLD! I'll get it shipped out asap.

• dpowell
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Shipped. Let me know when it arrives. ENjoy!

• dorokusai
    edited November 2011
    Options
    This is my total favorite pre-amp and it just goes to show that it doesn't have to be some expensive, ultra rare or even boutique piece of gear to be awesome. Don't get caught up in the audio rags as the real deal is where we are now, the chatter, the hand offs, the actual real world experience that others have when it comes to audio.

Mark
  • dpowell
    edited November 2011
    Options
    All the praise for the preamp gave me plenty of second thoughts about letting it go but it currently is my ticket to SDA 2.3TLs. At least I can keep some tube goodness with the SDA's using the Anthem Amp 1.

• JayCee
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The volume issue is a potentionmeter related snafu and common to a lot of these models. It was identified by Sonic Frontiers and at one time repaired for free by replacing it with an ALPS pot.

I'll start researching, but any thoughts on if the ALPS pot is common and might still be available?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited November 2011
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    I'll start researching, but any thoughts on if the ALPS pot is common and might still be available?

Yep, they still sell all values of ALPS potentiometer's. You will need to get the specific specs for the stock unit used in the preamp and find a suitable matching ALPS model.

They are very popular and come in a variety of specifications. Definitely talk to someone who is knowledgeable and can give you some recommendations of something that will work if you can't find something EXACT. It doesn't have to 100% exact, but knowing what parameters will have what effect, is very important.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • JayCee
    edited November 2011
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Yep, they still sell all values of ALPS potentiometer's. You will need to get the specific specs for the stock unit used in the preamp and find a suitable matching ALPS model.

They are very popular and come in a variety of specifications. Definitely talk to someone who is knowledgeable and can give you some recommendations of something that will work if you can find something EXACT. It doesn't have to 100% exact, but knowing what parameters will have what effect, is very important.

H9

Excellent, thanks for the info.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Contact sonic frontiers. They will send you schematic for the preamp.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Just CALL Parts Connexion or email Chris Johnson about the POT.

Sonic Frontiers doesn't exist anymore, it's just Anthem now but they have the schematic. I doubt they would have but a few folks capable of answering that with authority, so go with Chris.
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2011
    Options
    The only thing I would consider to replace my upgraded Anthem Pre2L is with a Belles 21a pre-amp. I think the Belles 21a can cost between $1,000. and $2,000. I have about a grand in my Pre2L. My Pre2L has 1970 Mullards and Mazda tubes at $100. each, Dynamicaps self installed at $50. for the pair, Herbie dampers for got the cost, and Dynamat applied to the inner cabinet.
    I do wonder how the Belles 21a and the upgraded Anthem Pre2L would compare side by side.
  • dorokusai
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I think it would be time to upgrade into something better than the Belles and the Anthem if you want to make another step.
  • NJPOLKER
    NJPOLKER Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I think it would be time to upgrade into something better than the Belles and the Anthem if you want to make another step.

Speak to me baby for I am always looking for ways to spend spend spend :evil:
  • JayCee
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Shipped. Let me know when it arrives. ENjoy!
    Arrived, Wednesday, safe and sound. Overall condition of the pre is excellent.
    All the praise for the preamp gave me plenty of second thoughts about letting it go but it currently is my ticket to SDA 2.3TLs. At least I can keep some tube goodness with the SDA's using the Anthem Amp 1.
    Congrats on the 2.3's! I'm glad this sale helped you get what you want and can totally understand why you kept the Amp 1...

Holy Toledo!!! The Pre-2L is my single best upgrade to date! I decided to try it first w/my Parasound 1500A and recapped 1Cs (1.2TL's and Sunfire 300/2 are next). I installed the stock Russian tubes before moving to the Lions. For the moment, the Anthem has swapped with my NAD C-162 pre, which I like, but wow...what a difference. The depth, detail, texture and tight bass is phenomenal. To say this pre made a significant difference is quite an understatement.

I've gone through at least 20 CD's with my favorite tracks and haven't been disappointed. I have a copy of The Wall from the 80's and have always felt the sound was just ok. Now, the dynamic range, clarity and detail is mind-blowing. I'm able to hear subtle underlying sounds buried below the vocals and instruments for the first time. I can't say the sound stage has widened, but it's deeper and appears to come from behind at times. Male vocals are less muddy and anything centered between the speakers is placed dead center. My wife's probably tired of hearing me say, "Come here and listen to this!"

I've read the comments from the tube folks on this forum and always knew there was something to what they spoke of, but can honestly say I'm now a convert. I "know the glow" and couldn't be happier...:cheesygrin: :cheesygrin: :cheesygrin: :cheesygrin: :cheesygrin:

Anyone on the fence with respect to tubes or the Anthem Pre2L, jump head first into it!

Thanks again, dpowel.

John

FEEDBACK: dpowel was great during this transaction...good communication and speedy to ship: A+
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Is it just me or is anyone else jealous:mrgreen: and regretting not buying this after reading jaycee's thoughts on the anthem ?