Best Tube PreAmp under $500???

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,345
    CH46E wrote: »
    Not that a class A Krell is going to be anytime soon, but I did just pick up @JayCee Anthem Pre2L tube pre with mundorf Supreme caps.

And I think i should move to a colder climate than FL.

That is a cool tube preamp. The krell I have is class a but has a different kind of bias scheme, it doesn't run too hot unless you're listening loud.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,212
    Yea all the Krell amps I've been able to touch run HOT. Buy the Krell and a larger AC unit....
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,424
    Live feed from @SCompRacer 's house:

sfw1ywquonx5.jpg

(photo from thread HERE)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,591
    agfrost wrote: »
    Live feed from @SCompRacer 's house:

sfw1ywquonx5.jpg

(photo from thread HERE)

Thats funny!!!!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,646
    Everyone knows that Nelson Pass makes the best amps for your hotplate needs...

gi.mpl?u=64&f=passeggs.jpg
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • CH46E
    I borrowed a friends B&K 125.2 (iirc) and that was the hottest 🔥 amp I've ever seen. I dont know if something was wrong or not. Sounded great! In an open room with. Celing fan pusing air almost directly over it and nothing on top of it, my thermometer was showing like 165 degrees maybe even 171 again iirc.
  • invalid
    I borrowed a friends B&K 125.2 (iirc) and that was the hottest 🔥 amp I've ever seen. I dont know if something was wrong or not. Sounded great! In an open room with. Celing fan pusing air almost directly over it and nothing on top of it, my thermometer was showing like 165 degrees maybe even 171 again iirc.

The bias was probably not to spec, that's pretty hot for that amp.
  • invalid
    I'm surprised that scompracer's ksa 250 doesn't appear to have the purpling of the heat sinks, at least it doesn't show in the picture.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,786
    Nelson Pass is a third rate hack.......
  • pitdogg2
    invalid wrote: »
    I'm surprised that scompracer's ksa 250 doesn't appear to have the purpling of the heat sinks, at least it doesn't show in the picture.

I've never noticed it and I've been close to it. Rich has done a little work on if IIRC. I believe Rich replace some board stuff which he made the comment that one of the resistors gets rocket hot 400° or so. That one went on the back side to save components on the front side from the heat.
  • invalid

[/quote]

I've never noticed it and I've been close to it. Rich has done a little work on if IIRC. I believe Rich replace some board stuff which he made the comment that one of the resistors gets rocket hot 400° or so. That one went on the back side to save components on the front side from the heat. [/quote]

Was the resistor in the soft start circuit?
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2020
    I honestly can't remember.
    Tale was the SRT King came walking up to the door with it under one arm carrying something else in the other hand.
    I personally did not witness this
    Lol
  • invalid
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Tale was the SRT King came walking up to the door with it under one arm carrying something else in the other hand.
    Lol

That is pretty impressive, that thing weighs 150lbs.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,214
    edited November 2020
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Everyone knows that Nelson Pass makes the best amps for your hotplate needs...

On that subject, the Threshold Stasis 12's...200watts class A ran cooler ambient temps that my XA35 due to the larger heat syncs. I used my thermal gun to take radiant temps.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    JayCee wrote: »

Pics of this beauty...
    xm7knlvh8u3r.jpg

Brings back great memories. Glad to see its being put to good use!

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • CH46E
    edited November 2020
    It will be here tomorrow. Luckily the wife will be at work. I'm going to put it in the rack, and when she takes notice I'm going to try the "what? That old thing?" Wish me luck guys.
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • pitdogg2
    Lol

You ever seen Ed? Dude carries bodies for a living. Stout comes to mind.
  • invalid
    Lol

You ever seen Ed? Dude carries bodies for a living. Stout comes to mind.

I haven't ever seen him. Is he the guy recovering from a bad case of covid-19, hope he's doing well.
  • pitdogg2
    Yes the very same.
    Great guy
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,499
    edited November 2020
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • CH46E
    I know! Can't wait. There is a chance I'll miss the delivery though. My son has become pretty sick and now it's starting to look like streap throat. Going back to the doctor AGAIN at 4pm.

I did leave a note on the door asking the driver to get the signiture from my neighbor. I left the driver some bottled water and some beer. Hope he will take it over there for me. I usually hook them up with cold waters during the summer.
  • CH46E
    Every truck I hear i check my cams. Nothing yet!
    am4y4qnyqen0.jpg
  • JayCee
    edited November 2020
    My son has become pretty sick...
    Sorry to read. Hope he's better. Did you ask the cat if it is it's fault after last week?
    I left the driver some...beer.
    That's awesome. Hopefully, he/she obliges. Best wishes for your son.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • CH46E
    JayCee wrote: »
    My son has become pretty sick...
    Sorry to read. Hope he's better. Did you ask the cat if it is it's fault after last week?
    I left the driver some...some beer.
    That's awesome. Hopefully, he/she obliges. Best wishes for your son.

Actually my wife was asking him if Sam (our 19 year old cat) was around his face. Unfortunately Wednesday will be Sam's last day with us.
    6dw0so25n19f.jpg
  • JayCee
    Wow, so sorry. My attempt at a joke strikes so close to home. Wife and I grew up with and also had animals for our kids but we've chosen not to as empty nesters. I have many friends with four footed family members. Condolences for what is/will be a tough time.
  • CH46E
    Your joke was fine man. Its all good.

So thebUPS driver pulled up seconds after i got home. Received safe and sound. Putting the tubes in now.

a58znbp24nn4.jpg
    91ekmveenbkk.jpg
  • CH46E
    I did find this little guy rattling around inside. I'll see of i can find its home.

rbisdrdav6kg.jpg
  • CH46E
    edited November 2020
    Found it! Turns out there is a nut on the backside that fell also. I dont think im goingbto take that back board down for the one screw.

11lxzxblq8st.jpg
  • invalid
    Let us know how it sounds.