Best Tube PreAmp under $500???

Options

Comments

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Awesome. Wild that screw came loose. Glad you found the location. The case screws are really small and there are EXACTLY 18 :smile: Be careful with them. Ask me how I know. Happy listening.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,549
    Options
    Unfortunately it will be tomorrow before I can play with it. But I'll let ya know!
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    It will sit there and taunt you all night! :smiley:

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • CH46E
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    It will sit there and taunt you all night! :smiley:

Bro.... it already has. I have to move my Hafler amp out of the stack to make room. That means putting it behind the stack in the closet. My back is effed and I don't feel like moving that amp yet. I did literally stand there and look at everything to see if i could do it tonight. But I have to get up early for physical therapy. :#
  • CH46E
    edited November 2020
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    Awesome. Wild that screw came loose. Glad you found the location. The case screws are really small and there are EXACTLY 18 :smile: Be careful with them. Ask me how I know. Happy listening.

yes. But I can't figure out this Canadian screwdriver that Sonic Frontiers included with the amp.

pa4ui4z510al.jpg
  • CH46E
    edited November 2020
    Options
    My stack, to give you an idea of what has to move to make room.

3q102udswz4b.jpg

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Looks good man

Btw, speaking of warm amps. My Plinius ran hot in class a bias.

The boulder runs warm.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • CH46E
    edited November 2020
    Options
    So this would sum up my first impression!

sc6qkpifna3r.gif

s6kf0ysv5s0m.jpg

inor7ttoh3z4.jpg

• JayCee
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Sure looks nice. Know the glow! Congrats, bud!

Edit to add....that Dolphins pennant has to go. GO HAWKS! Okay, bad Sunday for Seattle.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • CH46E
    Options
    Hahah, wife is from Miami. I've lived in Seattle on two separate occasions in my life. My son starting watch football last time we lived there and its when they won the SB. So he is a Seahawks fan too.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Hahah, wife is from Miami. I've lived in Seattle on two separate occasions in my life. My son starting watch football last time we lived there and its when they won the SB. So he is a Seahawks fan too.

BTW Happy Birthday Brother! Raise a glass for Chesty Puller and Archibald Henderson!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Navy_Goat
    Options
    @CH46E, @nooshinjohn, Happy birthday to you both.

-Uber
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • CH46E
    Options

BTW Happy Birthday Brother! Raise a glass for Chesty Puller and Archibald Henderson!

And Dan Dailey plus all the Marines before us that gave all.

All Gave Some, Some Gave All.
    SEMPER FI!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    So this would sum up my first impression!

sc6qkpifna3r.gif

Knew the tubes would match well with the big Hafler. Congrats!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    Options
    I'm looking for some new tubes for the Anthem Pre 2L. The oem tubes are a bit noisy for my liking. Looking to purchase some tubes for Christmas! 🎄

Is there any reason I should not get these with the options I selected?

r86jzpnalizq.jpg

wnpj1dwjlisl.jpg

"Genalex - Gold Lion E88CC / 6922 Preamp Vacuum Tube | TubeDepot.com" https://tubedepot.com/products/genalex-gold-lion-e88cc-6922-preamp-vacuum-tube
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Electro-Harmonix 6922 EH Gold Pin also look like a good choice.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    how many 6922s does it take?

(and, no, that's not a setup line for a bad joke -- I don't remember and, as usual, I am too lazy to look)

• dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

(and, no, that's not a setup line for a bad joke -- I don't remember and, as usual, I am too lazy to look)

It takes 4 of them.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2020
    Options
    dpowell wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

It takes 4 of them.

Lemme see what's lurking in the basement.
    What flavor of 6922's was in the preamp as you received it? And before you tee off on me for not remembering -- 1) no memory and 2) too lazy to look at your earlier posts.

:p
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • JayCee
    edited November 2020
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

Agree on the Mats. Chris, when I mentioned in a PM that I had thoughts of what to try when you were ready, this was it. I have 2 sets I've rolled in the BHK Pre. Liked them enough to order a second as backup and am speculating the price will go up in the future. Without looking I believe you'll need to adjust the voltage. I do on the BHK. They're also compatible with my BHK 250 but I've not rolled them there, yet. SOB is heavy and the tubes go in on the backside.

Much better price here: https://watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=4825 but you'll have to factor in shipping and fee to match. Once you place the order, Derek will email with Royal Postage price to confirm it's okay and will adjust your order accordingly. I've purchased 5 sets of various NOS tubes from Waterford and, based on watching the exchange rate, I've managed significantly cheaper than stateside prices. Don't want to jinx myself but zero problems w/overseas shipping and no issues w/items vs advertised.

Edit to add....I did not try the Mat's in the Pre-2L but would've if I'd kept it. And,
    JayCee wrote: »
    Hit up Chris @ Parts Connexion and he'll give you the skinny on what's possible.
    He'd be a great resource for tube recommendations since Sonic Frontiers was his baby when the 2L was produced.
    Post edited by JayCee on
  • CH46E
    Options
    I got the new Alps volume Potentiometer installed. This this is is perfect now. No crackling in the volume when turning it up and down. No more right channel dropping out at very low volumes. No more feedback hum ie. lower noise floor and very smooth operation. It might just be in my head but I feel like the bass has come alive. That might also be at least part of the new Pangea power cord. ????

Mark, @mhardy6647 sent me some GE tubes to try. Possible tomorrow ill be able to listen for a few hours to compare the tubes.
  • CH46E
    edited January 2021
    Options
    The Alps was much larger and heavier and required a little customization by my local repair guy. Between parts and labor its the best $100 I've spent in a long time.

tuhmkyojysaa.jpg
    lvsvpc2hp7q0.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Looks like they did a nice job retrofitting the ALPS pot. :)

• xfactor
    xfactor Posts: 66
    Options
    Your not going to find anything decent in that price range as far as "Tube-Gear" is concerned. Save your money, be patient. A decent "Audio Research", "SP-9" can be had starting at about $1,250. But again, "Patience". It's a virtue......
    A really nice "vintage" preamp are the "Nak", Ca-5 and Ca-7 preamps. The Ca-5 starts at about $500. Mint Ca-5 is close to $1000 now. The only decent "cheap" tube preamp that I know of is the "Schitt", "Freya" which is "I think" about $1500 now. It's not "great", but 'very decent for the money. But very hard to find also. Tube rolling makes them a lot better but that is going to cost you. But well worth it. I settled on "Tung-Sol" valves for that preamp.
    I'm not sure you really want tube gear though. "UNLESS", you have a fairly "Efficient", as in (98 or better), set of speakers. Why? Any tube amp putting out over 30-40 Watts? Over that and really your out of the sweet spot for tube power anyway. Unless you go wayyyyyy up in price.
    But if your like me? It's inevitable!
    And if you think I am kidding? Here's a pic....One of my primary rig. And "no", it will NEVER be done. And then rigs 2 and 3. v4bjpthvckfc.jpg

4yimoft23lot.jpg
    rmljs5axznyz.jpg

Good luck!
    S.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    xfactor, are those M504's in the back?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • xfactor
    Options
    Um,. 2 x M-504 and 3 x M-508, "Grand Integra". There is one you cannot see on the bottom left.
    S.
  • xfactor
    Options
    I have a lot of the Onkyo "M" series amps....5k2m9fezhevl.jpg
    ux9pzb1wox1c.jpg
    S.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Looks kinda cluttered.
    xfactor wrote: »
    v4bjpthvckfc.jpg

Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus