How fast cars are today.

Ok,
Yes I'm buying a 2021 Challenger Scat pack most likely a 1320 or a loaded up Scat Pack to my liking. Is it stupid fast for the street? Yes it is but It's a car I need.
Anyway my Wife won a Day Rental of a 2017 Porsche 911 Carrrera 4S Turbo Convertible 420 HP car with it's famous Automatic Transmission. We drove it around Yesterday, had some fun, went to Diner in it, got many Thumbs up and what nots from many people.
I basically scared my wife with it when we merged onto the highway and I gunned it and got well over 100+ mph super fast. I let off and was surprised how fast we where going as I was merging into traffic that averages around 75-85 mph. Everyone is in a hurry these days as I typically take the low right lane and cruise around 68-72 mph.
Every time I did a pull with the Porsche it rocked forward like a missile. Since it's all wheel drive, it didn't spin the tires at all. So smooth and controlled unlike the Challenger that spins the tires gets sideways and roars down the road like a un caged beast. Totally different feel.

It got me thinking now many people own cars that are this fast and faster and drive them everyday. Back when I grew up in the 70's and 80's cars where not this fast. I started driving in 1986 and my first car was a Toyota Corna Station wagon followed by a 1973 Pontiac Ventura 350 350 Auto Trans which was a pretty fast car. Nothing like the beasts and murders of today.

The Scat pack I have driven a few of them now and it's a caged animal but is more practical then most sports cars on the road. It has a nice size back seat, large trunk and super comfortable to drive when your not in beast mode.

I can't see myself going after a Hellcat or anything remotely faster then the Scat pack as these damn things are straight out nuts and that is coming from a life long car guy. Race cars for the track is fine to be nuts as your less likely to kill yourself or people around you. On the street with all that monstrous power is crazy. The Porsche can get away from you as its so smooth and balanced. The handling on that car was like it was stuck to the ground and nothing can move it off it's path. What a car.

Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited September 2020
    My '73 Charger was no where near as fast as my 2018 R/T.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    That challenger will handle swimmingly in the winter snow. ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    I remember taking a 5.0 Mustang out for a test a few years ago. I stomped it on the
    entrance ramp to I35. Same kind of deal. Even a v6 Camry anymore is pretty impressive.
    I see a lot of v8 Dodges, Camaros, and Mustangs around here. And they are all hauling. 80 down a 45mph zone isn't that unusual. Zig zagging, threading the needle in traffic. And the accidents are spectacular. I saw one the other day in a 35mph zone. The guy had plowed through two power poles and wrapped around a 3rd one.
    How fast do you have to go to do that?
    Speed kills, and the streets are loaded up with these cars. Go watch the top gear video of the Dodge beating a Lambo at the drag strip.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    It's the 0-60 and 0-100 that is crazy now days. Only the fastest motorcycles in the 80's could hit 60 under 4sec

In the 70's and 80's 0-60 in 6-7sec was mind blowing
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    T E S L A
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited September 2020
    I grew up in Europe in the 1980s where even VW Golfs are built to cruise at 100 mph. American roads aren't built for speed, they're built for trucks. :)

But I can do 0-60 in 4.0 seconds in my sedan if I wanted to. I don't.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I grew up in Europe in the 1980s where even VW Golfs are built to cruise at 100 mph. American roads aren't built for speed, they're built for trucks. :)

But I can do 0-60 in 4.0 seconds in my sedan if I wanted to. I don't.

I had a (new at the time) '86 VW GTi while stationed in Germany. That thing was loads of fun on the autobahn.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Emlyn
    The most dangerous people around these parts appear to be people tailgating in Hyundai Sonatas while drinking Starbucks concoctions, texting, taking selfies, or fixing their hair in the mirror. And anyone with New Jersey plates.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    edited September 2020
    They still have speed limits, though.
    And radar.
    And... umm... technology.

It will not be long before the car just generates the ticket for you and you can pay it right away via your infotainment center.

EDIT oh, and 18 months after those models are introduced, the newest models will prompt you for the ABA routing number for your bank account the first time you start 'em up, and just debit the fine when you misbehave.

:|

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,869
    Our MDX was in getting the windshield replaced, they loaned me a 2020 rdx. Acura reintroduced the turbo, smart of them. On the way to return the rdx some but-plug decided he would run up my rear. Gave it some time to see if he'd cool down. He didn't. Turned it on to sport+ and floored it. I was now at 160kms hour. Yikes didn't know I'd be going that fast, well that fast! I left the guy in his jetta in the dust.
  • Emlyn
    That 2.0 liter Honda turbo engine is a hoot.
  • Emlyn
    VW Golf with a 1.4 liter turbo engine on the autobahn on a wet winter's day going up to 200 kph (about 130 mph). No problem, except for the occasional left lane dawdler. Oh yeah...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrPOfXcf1wE
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    edited September 2020
    https://oldcarmemories.com/1976-buick-electra-the-titanics-last-cruise/

My parents had one exactly like this. The light beige exterior, with the plush dark red cloth interior. No need for speed when you can nicely snuggle in the back seat with a date. My 1966 GTO got them, the Buick well... ;) (scared them away) :)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    I learned how to drive in one of those Buicks.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,096
    One of the last land yachts! 455c.i. loved gasoline. But was a very nice ride cross county.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    the ol' deuce and a quarter.. Loved them
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    I love speed, my kids follow in my footsteps- I had nothing to do with it! Yeah right.
    My daughter and I were on I-65 with her driving, got her new car up to 155 before the speed limiter kicked in. spur50q5rr5a.jpeg
    Last October she was driving and pulled out onto a 40mph road, a guy hit her doing about 70.
    jylt1699yf77.jpeg
    She walked away, too bad Roxanne was totaled.
    I’m a little more wary about high speed, not much, a little.
  • fish357
    I made an offer on this car in July, dealer was asking 7, I offered 5500, he accepted, then reneged. Later found out a guy came in with 10 cash and bought it out from under me. 4w2tlhqsaui8.jpeg
  • pitdogg2
    Holy sheep!!!! One lucky girl
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,926
    fish357 wrote: »
    Last October she was driving and pulled out onto a 40mph road, a guy hit her doing about 70.
    jylt1699yf77.jpeg
    She walked away, too bad Roxanne was totaled.
    Wow! The safety features on that car really did their job to perfection. Many have been left with life altering injuries from that type of crash.
    Alea jacta est!
  • fish357
    edited September 2020
    @Kex Yes they did, and I agree. Did you zoom in and notice the drivers seat through the door? You can see the seat controls too. 😕
    Now the jobless idiot that hit her is suing her...
  • pitdogg2
    What is all the purple and red sparkles in the door frame?
  • Kex
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Reflections from the patrol car's lights?
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    If I were searching for a "practical" family rocket, my choice today would probably be the BMW M5.
    • It's "only" 100K. 😜
    • 0-60 in 2.8s
    • 1/4 mile 10.9s at 129 mph.
    • Exemplary handling.
    • And for practicality: 4 doors & almost 19 cu. ft. cargo capacity.
    Alea jacta est!
  • fish357
    Kex wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Reflections from the patrol car's lights?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    edited September 2020
    I remember back in high school how happy my father was that his Olds 98 was longer than the Cadillac his boss drove.

Remember the ads for the "wide track" Pontiac Bonneville? My father bought one after taking one for a drive around a curvy route the salesman used for his demo route. He had a Bonneville convertible that was a great looking car. He let me take it on a few dates in high school instead of my 57 Chevy which was fun at the time. The girls liked it.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Yeah my 17 Pilot does 0-60 in like 6 seconds. That's pretty quick for that whale of an SUV LOL.

Makes having a family car fun...vtec has it's perks.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    How fast cars are... tomorrow!
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    I remember when Cobra 427s were doing 0-60 in 4.2 seconds....and those numbers were mindblowingly fast.

Then came the Nissan GT-R with a sub 3 second 0-60....not bad for a gasoline powered car with a weight issue.

Yesterday, I watched a new episode of "Motor Week" with a road test of the new Porsche 911S....0-60 in 2.6 seconds. OMG!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    edited September 2020
    On the 427 Cobra, they tested it and it did 0 to 100 MPH and back to 0 in 13 seconds. That was unheard of back then. If I remember correctly the 0 to 100 time was 8.3 seconds.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.