New preamp arrived!

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Congrats on a stellar pre amp Joey. The new production 6h30 tubes are actually very good. If you go the 6H30 DR's, make sure they are the real deal before plunking down that much cash. I retubed from Upscale.

How to spot the real deal.

http://webboard.createhouse.net/index.php?topic=220.0

What’s the 6h30dr? Is that a nos tube type?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Congrats on a stellar pre amp Joey. The new production 6h30 tubes are actually very good. If you go the 6H30 DR's, make sure they are the real deal before plunking down that much cash. I retubed from Upscale.

@ joey_v here you go my friend.
    https://www.thetubestore.com/russian-6h30p-dr

theses are 6dj8 replacements.
    EH makes a 6h30pi and sovtek makes on for a lot less.
    i use the sovtek in my tube dac and it sounds great.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Joey_V
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »

@ joey_v here you go my friend.
    https://www.thetubestore.com/russian-6h30p-dr

theses are 6dj8 replacements.
    EH makes a 6h30pi and sovtek makes on for a lot less.
    i use the sovtek in my tube dac and it sounds great.

Wait... Marvin... is that $299 each??
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I just checked... I have ten of them in this package....

Dear Diary,
    Jackpot!
    Sincerely,
    JV
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Initial thoughts:

It’s definitely a solid performer.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options

Dear god my man, do you not research anything, or does it just have to be expensive ??

I'm one that looks into some piece of gear so deep they're usually on version 2 by the time I've made my mind up. If it has tubes I research the snot out of them to see what substitutions I may or may not be able to use and how hard are NOS tubes to find for it?

That's a very nice pre, some it would be end game.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    I watched a video of a little old lady soldering boards at the ARC! I've always loved their pieces.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • Joey_V
    edited July 2020
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Dear god my man, do you not research anything, or does it just have to be expensive ??

I'm one that looks into some piece of gear so deep they're usually on version 2 by the time I've made my mind up. If it has tubes I research the snot out of them to see what substitutions I may or may not be able to use and how hard are NOS tubes to find for it?

Haha

No time man. I read reviews and ask others for their opinion. At some point, doing all the research for the minutiaes isn’t worth my time or attention span.

Read about the Ref 40 for a long time, but never got into what tubes they use since most people stick with stock tubes on ARCs as they are matched etc.

I somehow landed a set where the owner rolled some Russian tubes and I asked for it as part of the deal.

Figured that I resigned that this would be my end tube preamp regardless of the ability to roll nos tubes.

There’s a saying in my profession, if it doesn’t change management, then no need to do it.

I was going to get the ARC 40 regardless of tube rollability. So it didn’t make a difference to do any more research into the tube type and choices.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    At some point you should get out of the 19th century technology, and move into the 21st century. Pass is a good starting point. :)

Enjoy.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    At some point you should get out of the 19th century technology, and move into the 21st century. Pass is a good starting point. :)

Enjoy.

Haha

Yeah next time
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Hey Joey when you get sick of that thing let me know. I'll swap pre's with you so you can hear what "Simply Perfect" sounds like. :p
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Joey_V
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Hey Joey when you get sick of that thing let me know. I'll swap pre's with you so you can hear what "Simply Perfect" sounds like. :p

Deal!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Some preamp designs subscribe to the "less is more" approach.

It appears that Audio Research subscribes to the "more is more" approach! :)

I was looking at the circuit board, it’s actually not complex... very symmetric and truly balanced.

I really like how thick the traces are on the PCBs. Definitely a piece of audio art.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Seek not to know all of the answers, but to understand the questions.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Good quote @SIHAB
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Listened to it last night, had it warm up for a couple hours.

Man it sounded good. Very dense imaging. It seems to want to be turned up. But I'm more interested in low level listening. More trials ahead.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options

H E A V Y _ H I T T E R _ A U D I O P H I L E !

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2020
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »

H E A V Y _ H I T T E R _ A U D I O P H I L E !

Haha

I like to refer to myself as a value minded audiophile
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Good to see you back on here.

How is the Covid battle going?

How are your kids doing??
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2020
    Options
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Good to see you back on here.

How is the Covid battle going?

How are your kids doing??

Hey buddy,

I think the numbers are down since mask mandate in Texas. I’m getting better and better at PPE combos for myself.

Kids and I wear a mask when we are in public places but I am not as restrictive as before. We have gone to 3 hotels for mini vacations this summer.

We just mask up and use hand sanitizers.

Kids are 6, 3, 2.

All enjoy Dad’s upgraded stereo. They have requests every night. The boy requested Harry Styles Watermelon Sugar “Pie” (he cant say “high”) yesterday.

Kids love the focal and Sonus Fabers too.

When I go to Best Buy to audition sound bars for the master bedroom, the girl was asking... why are you listening to that weird speaker?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Congrats on the new preamp Joey! Enjoy!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options

Man it sounded good. Very dense imaging. It seems to want to be turned up. But I'm more interested in low level listening. More trials ahead.

Benchmark LA4 is a great preamp choice for low level listening, due to the way that they implemented the volume control.

Worth a shot if the Audio Research doesn't work out! :)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Congrats on the new Pre Joey, still have the Cary 05?
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    Very nice preamp.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,076
    Options
    Glad to hear all of the good news, and see you back on the forum , Joey!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    VERY COOL Joey! Enjoy!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »

Benchmark LA4 is a great preamp choice for low level listening, due to the way that they implemented the volume control.

Worth a shot if the Audio Research doesn't work out! :)

Haha

I tested the low level listening last night.

It was superb
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Congrats on the new Pre Joey, still have the Cary 05?

No longer buddy

This one is significantly better in every measure of a preamp

Also corrected the errors of the ARC 5se as well
  • Joey_V
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    VERY COOL Joey! Enjoy!

Thx Steve!
    Glad to hear all of the good news, and see you back on the forum , Joey!

I’m just glad to be alive
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Very nice preamp.

Thx Indy!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Stayed up till 4am, gonna go back and take a nap cuz I’m kinda tired on my day off...

... but yes, the report is that this preamp is superb. Hi level and low level listening is just about what I’d expect a preamp if this caliber to be. It is different from the ARC 5se in that it is more complete, meaning I don’t hear that strident treble and that “forced” nature of the sound. Some people may call it immediate, I call it fake turbos. Rather have a naturally aspirated 700hp v12 Lamborghini motor loafing along.

Against the Cary 05, the Cary 05 I felt was overall brighter and while the Cary was really good at certain aspect of the stage (moreso than the Cary SLP98), such as bringing the singer out infront and center, the Cary was not as dense of an image as the Ref40.

I always felt like the middle of the mouth of the singer on the Cary 05 was taller than it should be, hence looking up when listening from a seated position... for me.

Also, even though the Cary 05 was able to highlight the singer, it was as if there was a tail of audio imagery behind them.

The 40, it was eerie because you could literally see nothing behind the singers image. The singer appears independent from the rest of the music.

If that makes sense...

Anyway, this was on stock cords. The Cary had the audioquest wels