New preamp arrived!

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Oh and the Cary 05 lacked bass in comparison. One of the big things you will first notice
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Wait til you try all that on a AQ Niagara, will change EVERYTHING
  • Joey_V
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Wait til you try all that on a AQ Niagara, will change EVERYTHING

Will see

I have the Torus RM15 but would like the Niagara
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    Sounds like great synergy with the Boulder creating a fuller soundstage. That's what makes your low level listening more enjoyable IMHO.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Joey, let me know when you're ready to move up to a big boy piece and I'll ship you my Benchmark LA4 for audition.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Joey, let me know when you're ready to move up to a big boy piece and I'll ship you my Benchmark LA4 for audition.

You're the best man... will do!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    haha, you're a good sport. :D
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Another 4am listening session.

Someone take away the Ref 40 please so I can have my sleep cycle back.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Another 4am listening session.

Someone take away the Ref 40 please so I can have my sleep cycle back.

No problem just give me your address and I'll stop by and haul it away for you.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    Options
    I can be over in about 20 minutes to solve your problem.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    That’s what she said! ;)

Congrats Joey on your new piece(s), looks pretty sweet!
  • audioluvr
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    tratliff wrote: »
    That’s what she said! ;)

Congrats Joey on your new piece(s), looks pretty sweet!

That's also what he said. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,087
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Wrong thread . . .sorry
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Stayed up till 530am just today (need to go nap again), I was able to get some good comparisons with regards to a simple but current model $999 Rotel preamp and ultimately the ARC 40.

The Rotel paired to the boulder actually sounds very good. But the ARC 40 is just realistic.

Like the comparison between a 128kbps mp3 and flac.

Imaging on a horizontal plane is not very different at a lower volume level, but the key is what happens at normal volume and higher. The Rotel image becomes stretched and hollow in terms of density.

The arc40 remains grounded and appears to be more dense the higher above normal you go. We are talking sub 80db.

But bottom line, I spent about 30 min doing comparisons, around 3 full component switches at variable volumes.

And then the rest of the hours spent on exploring tidal.

It was awesome.

I think I should've bought the ref40 sooner. It is truly a good combo w the boulder and Emm.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Best part about this:

I still have so much room to improve.

And the system is so much better than I expected already.

On my to do list:
    1. Finish bass traps to rear, need to order 4 bass columns
    2. Need to fix up and add permanent diffusion to 6 regions
    3. Need to control front wall/ceiling interaction to remove smear.
    4. Need to improve all low level connections... all XLR wires need to be upgraded.
    5. Need a better streamer, something with better power supply.
    6. Need better isolation for preamp and need to lift Boulder from floor.
    7. Need a JL Audio CR1 crossover to high pass the front main speakers.
    8. Need a vinyl rig (in 2 years).
    9. Need to tube roll the Russians into the Arc 40.
    10. Need to spike the front speakers to the floor. Still on casters geez.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Congrats, looks great!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    Congrats, looks great!

Thx man.

I am convinced this has been the best preamp I have ever had.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Do all of arc's reference preamps use tube rectification?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    11. Buy a Niagara
  • audioluvr
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Interesting you mentioned isolating your pre. My setup is inside an oak entertainment center (open face and back) with the feet on sliders because I have carpet. I was told I need to spike everything to isolate my components but when I put spikes under my pre I lost some of that "Live" detail that I enjoy so much. I've been using 2" x 2" squares of Blackhole 5 under the feet with great success (at least in my setup) My room acoustics is probably better than though so that probably helps overall.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Joey_V
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Interesting you mentioned isolating your pre. My setup is inside an oak entertainment center (open face and back) with the feet on sliders because I have carpet. I was told I need to spike everything to isolate my components but when I put spikes under my pre I lost some of that "Live" detail that I enjoy so much. I've been using 2" x 2" squares of Blackhole 5 under the feet with great success (at least in my setup) My room acoustics is probably better than though so that probably helps overall.

Did you have a tube pre too?
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Yes I have the Belles 21A I modded.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Joey_V
    Options
    invalid wrote: »
    Do all of arc's reference preamps use tube rectification?

I don't know exactly.

I know the Reference Anniversary 40 uses 8 tubes in the preamp section, 4 for each channel +/-.
    There are 4 tubes in the power section, a 6550 and a 6h30.

I don't believe it is tube rectified.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Yes I have the Belles 21A I modded.

Yeah man... I need some rack space. Current situation, the power supply unit sits on top of the Emm transport. The preamp unit is sitting on the Rotel 1570 preamp.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    I would love to bring home an ARC pre. I've looked at several in my area but I'm too chicken to drop cash down on something that has SO MANY tubes I know nothing about. That's why I like the Belles and Rogue Audio stuff. Simple circuitry and 2-4 strategically placed tubes.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Joey_V
    Options
    I would love to bring home an ARC pre. I've looked at several in my area but I'm too chicken to drop cash down on something that has SO MANY tubes I know nothing about. That's why I like the Belles and Rogue Audio stuff. Simple circuitry and 2-4 strategically placed tubes.

I had the Cary slp98, it had 4 tubes. It was easy to roll.

Of course the Cary 05 was better, had 6 tubes plus a rectifier tube. Easy to roll as well since the tubes were exposed.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    I heard the SLP 98 could be modded to surpass the 05. Not sure the details but I know the Belles 21A went from good to spectacular with a cap upgrade. I'm thinking the new(er) ARC pre's are already loaded with these goodies.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Joey_V
    Options
    I heard the SLP 98 could be modded to surpass the 05. Not sure the details but I know the Belles 21A went from good to spectacular with a cap upgrade. I'm thinking the new(er) ARC pre's are already loaded with these goodies.

Doubt it honestly. Sounded flatter and less density in the midrange and less extended up top when I had them back to back on the same rack. I even had the F1 version of the 98.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    The 05 cannot be compared to the Ref40. This thing just sounds right. The Arc 5se is also subpar and to me sounded harsh relatively.
  • audioluvr
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Nice. But some of what you heard could possibly have been mismatch of components and what your perception of ideal actually is as we all have a different view of that. What's most important is that you've found your "Perfect Match".
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC