Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• jim 249
    jim 249 Posts: 347
    jim 249 wrote: »
    JayMX wrote: »
    No more new to me speakers.
    10-4. I do have some friends in Twin that could come pick them up and hold them for me if needed. Let me know if your other deal falls through.

Hey Jay, your fiends here in Twin bought my speakers. Sorry. PS: I gave them a great deal on them, $500 for the pair!

Glad you sold them, but to rub Jay's nose in it with the price is classless to say the least. You were gone for 6 years before your speakers came up for sale, so don't let that door hit you on the way out this time either...

These are Jay's good friends here in Twin. He will most likely get them in due time. So sour grapes won't work here.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    10-4. I do have some friends in Twin that could come pick them up and hold them for me if needed. Let me know if your other deal falls through.

Hey Jay, your fiends here in Twin bought my speakers. Sorry. PS: I gave them a great deal on them, $500 for the pair!

Glad you sold them, but to rub Jay's nose in it with the price is classless to say the least. You were gone for 6 years before your speakers came up for sale, so don't let that door hit you on the way out this time either...

WTF?
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434

All good. The brothers that bought them both already own several pairs of Polks. I have an open offer out to them if they decide the 2.3’s are too big for their space. I suspect they’ll come my way someday... No worries. I have plenty to enjoy for now. Good luck in St. George.
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Haha, I like the description.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited July 2020
    Monitor 7Bs. $125 Philadelphia area.

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/philadelphia-polk-audio-monitor-7b/7156795925.html

Someone help me out here. I already have a pair and this is the kind of Craiglist poster that reposts the same ad every couple days. I am getting tired of seeing them.

He has been listing them for a couple weeks so I think he wants to get rid of them. Offer him $100.

Edit: And a pair of Monitor 4 series 2 for $100. Looks like a pair of Frankenpolks with the RD0194 tweeters but it is listed for just the cost of the tweeters. Does anyone know what drivers these have?

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ele/d/feasterville-trevose-polk-audio-monitor/7149573786.html

• quote="nooshinjohn;c-2599889"]Let Jay grab these so we can keep them in the family. It's hard to watch a nice pair like these go to anybody else...[/quote]

Hi! "Someone else" here. The speakers are amazing. Though I am not in "the family," as active people if this forum are called, I can assure you that these speakers are not wasted on me and that they will be treated very well. My beautiful wife is even allowing them (for now, at least) in our master bedroom. I have an agreement with Jay that I will let him know if things change.

m6w7ptfts327.jpg

Sir, you owe Jim an apology. I have done business on Craigslist several times before, and don't think I have ever dealt with a better guy than Jim. He was upfront and honest with me from the beginning, and I showed him the same form of respect. He's a good guy. He never meant any disrespect to Jay. You guys are lucky to have people like Jim and Jay here. They are good people.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    So you joined just to bust my chops? I like you already! LOL...

This place is really more of a family feel than just an audio forum. We tend to look out for each other here.

Congrats on the speakers, and welcome aboard.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • So you joined just to bust my chops? I like you already! LOL...

This place is really more of a family feel than just an audio forum. We tend to look out for each other here.

Congrats on the speakers, and welcome aboard.

Thank you! I'm very excited about them. I plan on spending a bit more time here now that I have an account and these serious speakers to work on. I have a lot to learn still.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    There are two hard to find Polk 6509 on Ebay right now.

No affiliation.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I'm thinking about buying these for parts.m416wcixer83.jpg

Don't you dare!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    I'm thinking about buying these for parts. Does anyone know if these drivers fit other models? m416wcixer83.jpg
    https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/el-toro-vintage-polk-monitor-12-speakers/7163271876.html

They came with MW6503's so yes many others take those drivers
  • delkal
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about buying these for parts. Does anyone know if these drivers fit other models? m416wcixer83.jpg
    https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/el-toro-vintage-polk-monitor-12-speakers/7163271876.html

Someone beat me to the punch. :'(

How much was it?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I can't believe all these different Polk speaker models. It's as if they just tried as many different driver combinations they could think of.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • delkal
    delkal wrote: »

How much was it?

They were 125 dollars.

$125 for 8 drivers and 2 tweeters? Yes, I know it is a sin but get out the chop saw!
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080

How much was it?

They were 125 dollars.

$125 for 8 drivers and 2 tweeters? Yes, I know it is a sin but get out the chop saw!

Plus, I believe that the bass driver is shared with the one in the 3.1TL.

I have both. I can double check but I’m pretty sure the 3.1 PW is unique to the 3.1.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • xjghost
    Yea my 3.1’s are in the den at my house. I think my son stored the Monitor 12’s in one of the bedroom closet. If I have time tomorrow I’ll pull and compare.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

• nooshinjohn

Good that those speakers avoided your death sentence.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • There are 3 mw6511s for sale on eBay right now....
  • la2vegas wrote: »

Not that you need more opinions, but I say go for it. You obviously don't need these speakers to give you the satisfaction you need with your current audio setup, and the set you would like the parts for is obviously not performing to your satisfaction. If you leave these whole, you'll have two sets of speakers that you are unsatisfied with. Use them for parts and you have the potential of being completely satisfied. Plus, the more rare these things become, the more enjoyment everyone gets from finding the ones they find. I say it's a win/win.
  • xjghost
    xjghost wrote: »
    Yea my 3.1’s are in the den at my house. I think my son stored the Monitor 12’s in one of the bedroom closet. If I have time tomorrow I’ll pull and compare.
    M12 uses an SW 123

• xjghost
    l8kmw9hl143v.jpeg

• xjghost
    SDA 3.1’s use a SW-122

v3wiee8xexuo.jpeg

• xjghost
    No problem. They look a lot alike. I assume the weight might be the only difference. I love all my Polks.

• xjghost
    What is that?

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    SRT fronts. IIRC parts are nearly unobtainable. Also, the control module is required.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited July 2020
    Bass modules tend to have major issues at this point. If you're not looking for parts for an SRT system you already have, might not be worth the trouble.

I know there are others with more knowledge than me. Hopefully, they chime in.
  • nooshinjohn
    Those have been ridden hard and left in the rain... #walkaway.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    edited July 2020
    I wouldn't pay 500.00 for them UNLESS I had a good set. Controller is very hard to come by so there's that.

I know you said it was included, I'm just stating it may be the best part.