What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• OldmanSRS
    OldmanSRS Posts: 418
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Do you notice any drum hits/strikes that are more noticeable in stereo?

Tom

I'm not running stereo on the subs since the Adcom amp is driven from combining both channels in the left sub's preamp and feeding that mono signal to both channels of the Adcom which in turn feeds the driver in each sub speaker.

Downstairs in the garage I do run one stereo channel to each sub. I can't say I notice much separation. Sometimes the bass content below 40 hz contains some out of phase info that when running stereo subs mixes in your head instead of being cancelled out by making it mono first, and I can hear the results like a ghost bass image behind me but it's rare.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '05 HSU VTF-3 Sub (Original OEM)
    '20 HSU VTF-3 Sub (three more, 100% cloned)
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (upgraded/restored)
    '88 Adcom GFA-555 (a second one upgraded/restored)
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    '91 Kenwood Basic M1D Amp
    '89 Pioneer Laser Disc media
    '89 Sony SuperBeta HiFi media
    One PGA2310 based custom built remote volume control
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• OldmanSRS
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Also, when listening, do you pull them out from the wall? The ports are choked when they are up against the wall like that.

Tom

Not thus far. I listen pretty loud and the cones are not moving all that much. I ran a continuous 25 hz test tone through them and cranked it up until I could hear some port noise but I have yet to get them that loud with material. I will play around with distance from the wall and see if it changes their response.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    '89 Fosgate 360 Digital Space Matrix, internal surround amp bridged to drive only a center channel
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    OldmanSRS wrote: »
    I'm not running stereo on the subs since the Adcom amp is driven from combining both channels in the left sub's preamp and feeding that mono signal to both channels of the Adcom which in turn feeds the driver in each sub speaker.

Downstairs in the garage I do run one stereo channel to each sub. I can't say I notice much separation. Sometimes the bass content below 40 hz contains some out of phase info that when running stereo subs mixes in your head instead of being cancelled out by making it mono first, and I can hear the results like a ghost bass image behind me but it's rare.
    Hmmm, thanks for your observations. I have my subs up on stands and at the same height with the tweeters. The signal is in stereo on a full range system. If you ever have a chance to do this? I would highly recommend it sir.

Great looking system!

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • OldmanSRS
    edited March 2020
    I was looking at your setup and did not know those were subs on the stands. I'm sure having them inline with the tweeters helps with sound continuity. What subs are they and how much do they weigh? I was planning on running stereo subs in the main room but since I could no longer buy the HSU plate amp for the second sub, I went with dual channel mono. T he main thing my 1.2s lack is tight bass when the listening position is midway between the speakers and a rear wall. I fought this and lost in several homes. My last home had a 26 long by 14 wide room and I listened from near the rear wall. The bass was great but if I moved to midway, the bass and the punch disappears. These subs restored that and then some in my current setup.

I'm not a real high end guy or an audiophile. I just like stuff that works well enough for my taste, and to impress friends occasionally and I like to build as much of it as I can.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• OldmanSRS
    Dang, I just typed a long response to you and then edited it but it went away! It's too late to keep going. Signing off til tomorrow.
    '65 427 Shelby Cobra
    '72 Triumph TR-6
    '93 Carver TFM-35
    '88 Carver M-1.0t
    '88 Adcom GFT-555
    '88 Adcom GFP-555
    '05 Onkyo DV-555 media
    Four Polk T-15's
    Two Polk TSi-200's
    Two Polk TSi-100's
    Two Polk CS-10's

• treitz3
    The subs are Rythmik F25's. As for the weight? Good question. They are heavy. Definitely a two person lift onto the stands. Once they are on? I simply twist them to make adjustments...although not easy given the space restraints.

Even full range speakers could use subs IMO/IME.

Although I am a KISS (Keep it simple stupid) kinda guy, the subs round out the system as a whole and offer yet another level of (in spades) listening enjoyment. When in stereo, the sound stage is at an even higher level of enjoyment/playback realism.

It can offer you pinpoint reproductive efforts with so many things other than the drums. With the drums, it can offer you pinpoint locationality cues to where one can point a laser at each individual component within the drum set and/or sound stage.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    OldmanSRS wrote: »
    Dang, I just typed a long response to you and then edited it but it went away! It's too late to keep going. Signing off til tomorrow.

Trust me when I say that I have been there, done that. The guys on this forum have given me grief about it as well. It happens. TTY tomorrow.

Tom
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    you need to get those bad boys set up now! :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    marvda1 wrote: »
    you need to get those bad boys set up now! :D

Between you and Skip, I swear!
    Sending my Nordost Heimdalls out to be re-terminated from bi-wire to shotguns on Monday. But I will use a set of Canare 4S11 or whatever they are...

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    What ever could these be...
    vy75b10s8f34.jpeg

Maybe catnip?
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    You would think...
    But between those and our modular closet set, the dining room is loaded with boxes and the cats are going gaga
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Wipe them down with antiseptic wipes and bleach first. You don't know where they've been. ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    vy75b10s8f34.jpeg

New Elba 2's ?

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited March 2020
    I will use a set of Canare 4S11 or whatever they are...
    Not a dang thing wrong with Canare wire.
    I just happen to use a dual run to each speaker of 4S11. I can thank Frank at Signal cable for the idea. Is 8 gauge cable overkill???
    Nope!
    😁😁
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Indeed. Walnut pair.

Good for you! I'll have to plan a little road trip this Summer. I'd love to get ears on a pair.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Very cool...get busy we want to see them!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Very exciting! I'm jealous, but hopefully at some point I'll snag a pair. Walnut would be my color of choice as well :)
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Indeed. Walnut pair.

Congrats on the Elbas's.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I just happen to use a dual run to each speaker of 4S11. I can thank Frank at Signal cable for the idea. Is 8 gauge* cable* overkill*???
    Nope*!
    😁😁
    go big* or go home*!

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I just happen to use a dual run to each speaker of 4S11. I can thank Frank at Signal cable for the idea. Is 8 gauge* cable* overkill*???
    Nope*!
    😁😁
    go big* or go home*!

I found there's a lot more to speaker cables than gauge when I tried a double run of Canare wire.
    I had to try it and see for myself though >:)

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited March 2020
    I found there's a lot more to speaker cables than gauge when I tried a double run of Canare wire.
    I had to try it and see for myself though >:)
    Is your Canare 4S11 10 gauge, too? That would make a double run equal to 7 ga? Specifically, what did you learn...? I’m gonna dodge a tomato or two before this is over.

IME doing internal speaker mods, one channel’s speaker at a time; (more recently) bit by bit, progressing towards bi-amping*, size made an undeniable diff especially in the lower octaves. In the case of Polk speakers of ~12 years ago I’m certain that’s due to their wimpy internal wire. Jess says it’s 16 ga. I say 18.
    *and eventually tri-amping

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174880/tri-amped-rti-a7#latest

Upgrading the internal wire to 12 ga of my CC made most male dialogue heavier* and/or thicker*. Further, after I removed the passive XO filtering I upgraded to Canare 4S11 inside and out. More so* than before, I felt forced to make light use of my CC’s EXO’s PEQ capability to rebalance its tone.

I hope this helps you to understand why I must chime in anytime someone attempts to downplay the value of wire gauge. I realize gauge increases doesn’t always apply. If it didn’t make a diff, I’m sorry, but you won’t know till you try.

Sorry for the long winded rant. Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • LoStrings
    LoStrings Posts: 38
    Love the stands!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Thank you :)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Those stands look nice.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Glad you’re liking the 703’s
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2020
    vy75b10s8f34.jpeg

Years back, within hours after I brought the new-to-me Altec 604E Duplexes back from western Vermont to MA, I was greeted with this tableau:

grdqzlxiyf6s.png

Fortunately (??) I had draped a towel over each of the Duplexes to give them some semblance of protection -- but apparently all I really managed to do is to create a (tabby) attractive nuisance.