Scary virus outbreak in China

Options

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    That video has some interesting information. For those with kiddos and as was pointed out to me previously by members kids can contract the virus but usually don't get sick. They provided an example such as Hep A, kids don't get sick but can pass on to their parents or care givers.

From Wiki:

"Michael T. Osterholm is a public health scientist and a biosecurity and infectious disease expert in the United States. Osterholm is the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at the University of Minnesota and a Regents Professor, the McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, a Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the University of Minnesota Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. He is also on the Board of Regents at Luther College in Decorah, Iowa."
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    edited March 2020
    Options
    It shows some signs of an increasing slope, however 3/5 - 3/8 looks pretty darn linear. How much of this is simply due to increased testing? Also, it is more accurate if they do it based upon onset of symptoms.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    I have to echo a lot of folks here trying to keep this thread on topic. Not sure why any tragedy thread here has to devolve into something political, or personal.

I have my views for sure, but they are mine, mine alone, and thus never up for debate or criticism. Everybody has a right to their views, and we have to respect that.

I remember the CA fires thread a while ago took a similar path. Jeez fellas!

Bottom line for me, and for everyone here I pray, who I admire and respect, is to be vigilant. Take precautions sure, as I have done for the first time in my life during flu season, but this too shall pass.

Surely, anyone who is deemed a high risk demographic must take extra precautions, as you are most vulnerable. My thoughts and prayers go out to each and every one of you.

Take care everybody. Don't panic, pay attention to the facts, and be well! Listen to the experts and not to those that just pontificate. Take a moment to think about all those that may be infected or at risk, and wish them well too!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
    Sorry for my dumbness but I didn't know that the UFC guy did anything else outside of the fights.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    krazypolk wrote: »
    Sorry for my dumbness but I didn't know that the UFC guy did anything else outside of the fights.

He is quite the prolific interviewer. A cornucopia of different people for different reasons.

Everything from comedians to Elon Musk to Neil DeGrasse Tyson to Edward Snowden.

Some are a waste of time, others are interesting and informative.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    He runs about the most popular podcast out there. The thing I like about it, is he talks to anyone interesting, and he allows his guest to speak 70-80% of the time. I’ve learned of several interesting people from his podcast: Alex Honnold, Bret Weinstein, Jordan Peterson, Jako Wilinik, Mike Baker.... the list goes on and on.

Good stuff
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Medicare coverage for those of us using it. However, it doesn’t cover beer, which is a crock.

https://www.medicare.gov/medicare-coronavirus?utm_campaign=20200310_gmd_prv_gal&utm_content=english&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    They have shut down a Waffle House in Atlanta after an employee has tested positive. For the first time, all Waffle Houses in the area are undergoing a thorough cleaning.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,684
    Options
    verb wrote: »

I can remember people in that thread saying that they would be happy if California fell into the Pacific Ocean. Oddly, no one was banned over that.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,184
    Options
    Well because that's just common sense...........KIDDING!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,099
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

I can remember people in that thread saying that they would be happy if California fell into the Pacific Ocean. Oddly, no one was banned over that.

If you have a problem with why you were banned, discuss it with the mods. For most of us, we were glad you were gone.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

If you have a problem with why you were banned, discuss it with the mods. For most of us, we were glad you were gone.

I was talking about a different thread, Beatrice.

If every post I make causes you to cry, you should just put me on ignore like all of the tough guys do. :p
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Please don’t get this thread closed. We have already been warned about these off topic posts.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Please don’t get this thread closed. We have already been warned about these POLITICAL posts.

*fixed
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Yes. That’s right. Political posts, but the mods have a wide latitude of what is considered political.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I wonder if this virus is going to cause a permanent change in the way we work? In Silicon Valley there are just way to many jobs, so traffic is terrible.

“Google has asked all of its North America employees to work from home to prevent coronavirus spread”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/10/tech/google-work-from-home-coronavirus/index.html

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    This beauty is going up on eBay soon. Should be able to pay off my mortgage and retire with the proceeds. Many thanks to the media for making this possible.

x35rj5qov1al.jpg

Dang. No club Polk offer first?

Hahaha. Love the post!!!!!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    My company has pulled all the account reps off the road. Told to work remote from home or local office.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I understand taking precautions, but there's just way too much freaking out. Swine flu (H1N1) killed about 12k in the US alone and an estimated 150k-500k worldwide. I don't recall the hysteria we are having now. I even traveled to Veracruz for work 2 weeks after the news broke.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic
    https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm

I am far more worried about public panic than an actual infection.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    What I haven't heard mentioned yet, is ...are these test kits suppose to detect various strains of the corona virus, or just the more deadly one.

If they detect all forms of the virus, then the numbers are skewed and irrelevant. If they can only detect the deadly strain, then how is the test accurate if the virus keeps mutating ? Hmmm....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    This was on another forum, and I assume it is accurate. Basically, it shows exponential growth of the virus infections.

nlv8seqvcy71.jpeg

I posted the same thing previously
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I understand taking precautions, but there's just way too much freaking out. Swine flu (H1N1) killed about 12k in the US alone and an estimated 150k-500k worldwide. I don't recall the hysteria we are having now. I even traveled to Veracruz for work 2 weeks after the news broke.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic
    https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimates_2009_h1n1.htm

I am far more worried about public panic than an actual infection.

From Italian ICU attending.

Read it and learn that this is real.

bs0igmhvymnc.png
    4htnj41i0j0w.png
    tuwg7ebpb2hl.png
    f0k1t8s57bwr.png
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    The thing that stands out is they don’t even staff the moderately sick even if they “arrest” meaning you are about to code and no one is there.

Wow
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    This was on another forum, and I assume it is accurate. Basically, it shows exponential growth of the virus infections.

nlv8seqvcy71.jpeg

I posted the same thing previously

Sorry. It’s easy to lose track of all this information. But it’s still relevant. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    Options
    Sounds like the Ita Lians are in deep deep doo doo.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I gotta call b.s. on the supposed under staffing.
    ITALY ON A NORMAL DAY....is understaffed. Welcome to Gov. Run H.C.

Joey, your hospital has only 7 ICU beds ? That's just crazy. Even hospitals out in the suburbs here have 20 or 30. Some more than that.

During flu season, hospitals are short on beds to begin with. Throw in an unexpected contagious virus and you have an instant crisis.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    This article from March 10 has some good up to date coverage of the issues they are having and shows why Italy finally decided to lock things down...

https://fortune.com/2020/03/10/coronavirus-italy-cases-hospitals/
  • tonyb
    Options
    With the shortage of equipment Italy is facing, and doctors , one has to wonder...
    Isn't this what the U.N. is for ?

Can we relocate doctors from other organizations like Red cross or Doctors without borders, etc.

And, this is not something new for Italy that 1500 docs leave the country every year. You think the best and brightest want to work for peanuts ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    Options
    A thousand cases in the US as of Tuesday night (3/10).

nlv8seqvcy71.jpeg

Three 20 amp circuits.
This discussion has been closed.