Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    daddyjt wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    ....I did not argue, just went with it! :smile:

You sir, are wise beyond your years.

Lol! Thank you! Yep I did tease her and reminded her that she needs to go to the range with me and get some time in the handgun I bought for her a few years ago. She thought about it, and did not immediately dismiss the idea!

Zombie apocalypse?

Kinda reminds me of all the craze during the prelude to Y2K, a lot of panic over, well, not too much.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited March 2020
    This university president needs to be fired...

"The novel coronavirus is not the first challenge this region, or our university, has faced," Cauce urged. "It will not be the last. In its 158-year history, the UW has endured two world wars, a depression and other crises that have tested our resilience and our compassion.“

Seriously.... endured two world wars? Tell me, pray-tell, the horrors you experienced of two World Wars that your campus endured while safely isolated from enemy action within the boundaries of the continental United States.

That he has the stones to compare this to some of the greatest horrors in human history is appalling.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ESLLaz-UUAI3-oI?format=jpg&name=large

People are really stocking up on a years supply of toilet paper? WTF. I better check the grocery store for a pack tomorrow before it all disappears. A pack.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    Good time to invest in TP companies.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    Yeah, man. What's the deal with toilet paper? I saw a fight between 3 ladies (online) and my father in-law said that similar things were happening at a Costco down in Florida where there was a long line for toilet paper. A LINE!

What in the....?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    It's a case of monkey see, monkey do.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,119
    edited March 2020
    What are people expecting.....supply line shortages of toilet paper? Is toilet paper made in China too? I doubt it. I did buy some KMB and CLX on Friday as the stock market panic continued.

How hard would it be to get some delivered from Amazon?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    AAAAHAHAHAHA

stupid.

urz55ol93qni.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    Yep... he just ate something with too much grease.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Stay away from a place called the Broken Arrow.. the food will have you barfing your Face Off.

• treitz3
    Is that like the Blue Oyster bar, John?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    No... more like The Urban Cowboy, except they only serve Swordfish during lent.

• treitz3
    edited March 2020
    Roy, it ain't like that. While the death rate is low (unless you are old and with pre-existing illness)? It's doom and gloom presented by many folks.

You and I have a .9 percent of being offed by this thing. Whoopdie-do! We have a higher percentage of dying if we cross certain roads. Some folks love to live in fear. In fact, I would swear they thrive on it.

I don't get it but I will say that the media is WAAAAAYYY over-hyping this thing. To the point of being ridiculous. Good to see you posting, my friend!

Tom
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    For something as trivial as the Polk ‘experts’ keep saying there sure is a lot of action trying to slow this outbreak down.

‘Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte signed a decree early Sunday that will put millions of people across northern Italy under lockdown due to the novel coronavirus.

The sweeping move puts the entire Lombardy region, as well as 14 other provinces, under travel restrictions, and is one of the toughest responses implemented outside of mainland China to get the Covid-19 epidemic under control.’

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/08/asia/coronavirus-covid-19-update-intl-hnk/index.html
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,942
    "The best estimates now of the overall mortality rate for COVID-19 is somewhere between 0.1 percent and 1 percent," said Brett Giroir, an assistant secretary at the Department of Health and Human Services, at a press conference yesterday. The good news is that as more testing data comes in, the lower the mortality rate for COVID-19 falls."

Yep... truly scary stuff. The common flu is deadlier that these numbers.

The mortality rate from a non US based source put the mortality rate closer to 3 percent, which makes one wonder why our government may possibly lowball this important number (?)
  • Gardenstater
    If you look at the actual Chinese situation, the deathrate has come way down. It was initially bad because they were overwhelmed and had to turn people away from healthcare and testing and didn't know as much about how best to treat it. Also, the initial cases were the older people and people with pre-existing conditions, so that skewed the data. I posted a link to an article about this. So our estimates of the deathrate are highly inflated at this point in time because they are based upon the Chinese data which is being misinterpreted.

I don't see anyone saying this is trivial though........
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,598
    1) It all boils down to whom is "misinterpreting" data.
    2) As an aside, an Elisa-based test would be faster than an RT-pcr based test, if one exists.
    3) And on a lighter note, all the TP shortage stems from someone posting on the net that "Things are about to get ****"
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,060
    All Hospital Beds In The US Will Be Filled With Patients 'By About May 8th' Due To Coronavirus: Analysis

https://www.zerohedge.com/health/all-hospital-beds-us-will-be-filled-coronavirus-patients-about-may-8th-according-analysis
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Hey, if your gonna be put under lock down, what better place than Italy. You can lock me down on a coastal town anytime.....for any reason. I may book a flight just for that reason. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gardenstater
    Well we have 436 confirmed cases now in US, whereas I think we had 102 late Mon night last week, but the testing is rolling out in a big way now so that 102 figure was falsely deflated. Lets say we keep doing 4x every week..........on second thought lets not !!!
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2020
    xschop wrote: »
    1) It all boils down to whom is "misinterpreting" data.
    2) As an aside, an Elisa-based test would be faster than an RT-pcr based test, if one exists.
    3) And on a lighter note, all the TP shortage stems from someone posting on the net that "Things are about to get ****"

"There are 3 kinds of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics" - phrase popularized by Mark Twain

Here's the article I referenced earlier:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/03/809904660/why-the-death-rate-from-coronavirus-is-plunging-in-china

Here's one excerpt:

Still, it's worth noting that even after China got the death rate down to 0.7%, or even 0.4%, that's still about four to seven times greater than the death rate for seasonal flu. (The rate for the flu is about 0.1% — or 1 in 1,000 patients.)
    Post edited by Gardenstater on
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Roy, it ain't like that. While the death rate is low (unless you are old and with pre-existing illness)? It's doom and gloom presented by many folks.

You and I have a .9 percent of being offed by this thing. Whoopdie-do! We have a higher percentage of dying if we cross certain roads. Some folks love to live in fear. In fact, I would swear they thrive on it.

I don't get it but I will say that the media is WAAAAAYYY over-hyping this thing. To the point of being ridiculous. Good to see you posting, my friend!

Tom

If it bleeds, it reads. It does seem IMO that the media is way over hyping this issue. For many reasons (not to go over them here), but for me, I'm not that worried.

Precautions? Sure I will. Probably things I should have done every year during the flu season, but never did.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    My wife told me yesterday that she isn't too worried and she can't quite figure out why because when she watches the news, all hell is breaking loose and events all over the world are getting cancelled. She just ain't skeert! Either am I.

Now is it on our minds? Obviously but we are not obsessing over it.

Tom
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Yep... he just ate something with too much grease.

If "Battlefield Earth" didn't kill him, nothing will.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    As Doris Day would say, "Que sera, sera".

Sal Palooza
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,872
    Italy has now leapfrogged South Korea as the world’s second highest concentration of cases detected. Almost 7.5K, with 366 deaths. Their death toll is therefore approximately 5%.

France and Germany have both exceeded 1K cases each, with 19 deaths in France, and none in Germany (so much lower percentages than Italy, but still almost 2% in France).

The IATA is warning that airlines might lose over $110 billion in 2020 from lost revenue. Norwegian Air Shuttle, in particular, has lost 70% of its value. The airline relied heavily on the 787 and the 737 MAX for their expansion plans. The 787 experienced extended groundings last year because of engine faults, so Norwegian cut routes, and replaced other aircraft with “wet” leased aircraft that were more Inefficient to operate.
    Alea jacta est!
This discussion has been closed.