Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    BlueFox wrote: »

If it even does half that, or takes twice as long, then we will have a total economic collapse.

The only way to win is to completely destroy everything and blame the guy at the top while everybody suffers in the fallout.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited March 2020
    Basically to put things into perspective.
    For our single hospital, there are 6 docs in my specialty.
    So with 1 or 2 docs down, that's a brutal scheduling hole.

Now, let's talk about let's say a neurointerventionalist (stroke interventionalist). I have 1 contact for every 3 hospitals.

So if he goes down.... well, you know what that means. You better not have a stroke for the remainder of the quarantine period.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Pretty safe to say it was in all 50 states several days ago. Exponential progression should show (reported) cases in the millions within 7-10 days, if they test that many people.
    All 50 states? Very probably, and it happened more than just several days ago IMHO.

As for millions in 7-10 days? No. Firstly, we won’t be able to test that many. Furthermore, it just seems doubtful. New cases are being detected at much slower rates in China now, which has a much higher testing capability. With a population of over 1.4 billion, 80K cases have been detected, so the numbers in the U.S.A. could be in the tens of thousands, certainly, but hardly in the millions.

We can learn from other countries, including China (hopefully, at any rate), so with any luck, we’ll see infection rates more similar to France, Germany, or Italy. The impact of carriers walking around for a month, infecting others before detection, could make things end up more like Italy, which has a population of 60 million. The number of cases in Italy seems likely to exceed 10K within a week.
    Alea jacta est!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Kex wrote: »
    Italy may have a not so good healthcare system. Even South Korea only has a 0.7% death rate so far and they have pretty much the same number of cases.
    That’s a rather arbitrary statement, but proves your point earlier about lies and statistics (statistics don’t lie, but one can interpret them differently according to the point that one wishes to make).

In fact, Italians enjoy universal healthcare, and their healthcare system is regarded by the World Health Organization as the second best in the world after France. Italy has the world's sixth highest life expectancy

You should talk to some Italians. Second best in the world ? Laughable. Same with Canadians, talk to those who actually have to use the system for serious issues. I have family in Italy, friends in Canada.....they come here to get serious stuff taken care of.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I haven’t been to the gym since the end of October, due to various medical issues. Now I feel pretty good and want to start working out, but am hesitant since various people will be sweating on the gear. Maybe I will just use the treadmill.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^ yeah, I go to the gym twice a week to continue my cardio rehab., may need to rethink this
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorhead43026

If it even does half that, or takes twice as long, then we will have a total economic collapse.

The only way to win is to completely destroy everything and blame the guy at the top while everybody suffers in the fallout.

Yep, when you take all the credit when times are good, you get all the credit when times are bad. But the guy at the top just might get his chance to start with nothing like 2009. I just hope the helicopter money gets dropped on the peasents in the form of infrastructure work and repairs and the like. Rather than the banks and financial institutions. Give proplegood jobs building our 8nfrssrurture
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    tonyb wrote: »
    What's the death toll here now....12 ?

Jeffery Dahmer ate more people than that.

Just sayin'.....

Fixed it

• motorhead43026

Yep, when you take all the credit when times are good, you get all the credit when times are bad. But the guy at the top just might get his chance to start with nothing like 2009. I just hope the helicopter money gets dropped on the peasents in the form of infrastructure work and repairs and the like. Rather than the banks and financial institutions. Give prople good jobs building our infrastruture and watch it trickle up rather than not down.

• Kex
    Oil suffers greatest loss since 1991 Gulf War - 30%
    Brent for May settlement tumbled as much as $14.25 a barrel to $31.02 on the London-based ICE Futures Europe Exchange, the biggest intra-day loss since the U.S.-led bombing of Iraq in January 1991. It pared some of those losses to trade 21% lower at $35.71 a barrel as of 9:15 a.m. in Singapore.

West Texas Intermediate crude slumped 21% to $32.48 a barrel after sliding as much as 27% to $30 a barrel just after the open. Trading was frozen for the first few minutes because of the scale of the loss.

Brent is the worldwide benchmark (not West Texas Intermediate crude).
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex

Jerry Dahmer ate more people than that.

Just sayin'.....
    It’s nice that you can laugh about, but actually, it’s 21, and climbing daily.

That number does not include all deaths, since many have not been tested, even if COVID-19 was the suspected cause of death.

The final number will almost certainly be far less than influenza, traffic accidents, or gun violence, but that’s not the point. None of the latter will keep anyone from buying stuff, going to Starbucks or the restaurant, or traveling. None of the latter will cause a drop in GDP. This has the potential to bring back memories of the Great Recession, and that will impact everyone.
    Alea jacta est!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    And as long as the media and certain government officials keep hyping this up as a a mass extinction level event, they will get exactly what they want, a cratered economy they can blame on 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, and 9 months of being able to point the blame.

Then as soon as the dust of November settles, everything will be magically all better.

This would be laughable if it wasn't so transparent that only the blind can't see it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    edited March 2020
    Yeah, it’s true... 😂

I don’t care about gas prices. If it costs $40 to fill a tank, or $90, it has less impact on my daily budget than Starbucks.
    Alea jacta est!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    My investments are down 6%! If it hits 10% I'm buying a ton of stock! Gotta love Chaos!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Kex wrote: »

Jerry Dahmer ate more people than that.

Just sayin'.....
    It’s nice that you can laugh about, but actually, it’s 21, and climbing daily.

That number does not include all deaths, since many have not been tested, even if COVID-19 was the suspected cause of death.

The final number will almost certainly be far less than influenza, traffic accidents, or gun violence, but that’s not the point. None of the latter will keep anyone from buying stuff, going to Starbucks or the restaurant, or traveling. None of the latter will cause a drop in GDP. This has the potential to bring back memories of the Great Recession, and that will impact everyone.

Greed is more powerful than a virus, commerce will continue to happen virus or no virus. People die every day from various sources, and so far this thing doesn't hold a candle to any of them.

Gdp....stocks, all temporary set backs. Everything is temporary. You could live your life in fear of a meteor hitting us and punching everyone's ticket, or live in fear the super volcano under Yellowstone will explode, or the big one to hit the west coast, a scary virus that might wipe out half the world's population.....supposedly depending on who you listen to.

Become a prepper, stock up and find a cave to move into before the zombie apocalypse. Meanwhile, the rest of us will continue to live our lives as best and as full as we always have. Send a postcard every so often so we know you preppers are ok. 🙂
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Oil down 30%!

Great, that means that in California regular unleaded will drop by 5 cents, at or around $3.50 a gallon. :#

SWEET!

Can't wait to fill up on $2.00 a gallon 93+ for my supercharged pickup truck!

Might have to get a buttload of jerry cans and stock pile a bit!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • motorhead43026
    edited March 2020
    Whew, looks like I was posting after taking my Ambien last night.

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited March 2020
    Global markets plunging pre-market. Now down almost 1300 points. We could be in store for another record breaking DOW loss today. Might be time to crack open the treasure chest and buy some more stocks on the cheap. Also looks like trading was briefly halted on the S&P last night due to the drop in price. Will be interesting to see where we open and how low it might go.
  • motorhead43026
    edited March 2020
    Yep, the PPT " plunge protection team" stepped in.

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    I'm one of the older guys on this blog and in the second category on the chart of people most likely to get the virus. I try to read stories that keep me informed. I don't mind all of the funny comments, cartoons, etc. In fact, I believe humor is one of the best remedies for concern.

The story below seems to be one of the better descriptions of how the virus kills. Some of you may read the story; otherwise, continue on.

There Is a ‘Tipping Point’ Before Coronavirus Kills

https://www.bloombergquint.com/politics/coronavirus-nears-fatal-tipping-point-when-lungs-are-inflamed

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • motorhead43026
    I fall into the higher risk category myself.

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    22 dead in US. Stock market halted limit down. CRAZY
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    22 dead in US. Stock market halted limit down. CRAZY

Wow ... has that ever happened b4?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Gardenstater
    Not sure. Maybe last time Oct 27, 1997.....asian financial crisis
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Take a deep breath fellas. Fear is the mind killer
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Haven’t been able to make up my mind if we are nearing the peak worldwide, or if we are just getting started. Seems like we are in the just getting started stage. Stock market sure is down. Glad I got mostly out before this started.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026

The 2008 financial crisis.

• motorhead43026
    dromunds wrote: »
    Take a deep breath fellas. Fear is the mind killer

Not worried about the mind. It's the rest of me falling apart

• Gardenstater

The 2008 financial crisis.

Nope. Didn't happen then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_curb
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
This discussion has been closed.