Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Got an email from work, if I get exposed to corona at work, I'll be quarantined for 2 weeks.

And they said don't even try to apply for workmen's comp.

Kinda insulting.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I wonder how much longer before it really takes off in the US. Also, it will be interesting how the stock market behaves next week. Stay tuned.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2020
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Got an email from work, if I get exposed to corona at work, I'll be quarantined for 2 weeks.

Kinda insulting.

This is one of the very real downsides of this situation. What if many of our medical caregivers are quarantined. They are stretched pretty thin as is.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Kex wrote: »
    Italy has now leapfrogged South Korea as the world’s second highest concentration of cases detected. Almost 7.5K, with 366 deaths. Their death toll is therefore approximately 5%.

France and Germany have both exceeded 1K cases each, with 19 deaths in France, and none in Germany (so much lower percentages than Italy, but still almost 2% in France).

The IATA is warning that airlines might lose over $110 billion in 2020 from lost revenue. Norwegian Air Shuttle, in particular, has lost 70% of its value. The airline relied heavily on the 787 and the 737 MAX for their expansion plans. The 787 experienced extended groundings last year because of engine faults, so Norwegian cut routes, and replaced other aircraft with “wet” leased aircraft that were more Inefficient to operate.

Italy may have a not so good healthcare system. Even South Korea only has a 0.7% death rate so far and they have pretty much the same number of cases.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Italy may have a not so good healthcare system. Even South Korea only has a 0.7% death rate so far and they have pretty much the same number of cases.
    That’s a rather arbitrary statement, but proves your point earlier about lies and statistics (statistics don’t lie, but one can interpret them differently according to the point that one wishes to make).

In fact, Italians enjoy universal healthcare, and their healthcare system is regarded by the World Health Organization as the second best in the world after France. Italy has the world's sixth highest life expectancy
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Proves the WHO doesn't know squat.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    We have been told not only to cancel all meetings and business trips, but also, that if any personal travel is expected, that we must self quarantine for two weeks upon our return.
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    We have been told not only to cancel all meetings and business trips, but also, that if any personal travel is expected, that we must self quarantine for two weeks upon our return.

Kex, is that travel outside the US, or travel anywhere?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    This is one of the very real downsides of this situation. What if many of our medical caregivers are quarantined. They are stretched pretty thin as is.
    The nursing home in Washington state has stated that 70 of the 180 healthcare workers in their employ have now tested positive, and are quarantined at home. They say that they desperately need more staff.

They also weren’t able to test all residents before last Thursday, because no tests were available for those without symptoms. They also stated that patients deteriorate from asymptomatic to life threatening or dead in an alarmingly short period of time.

Some patients in that home have died in suspicious circumstances, but have not yet been tested to determine if they died from COVID-19, so the actual death toll there could be worse.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    edited March 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    Proves the WHO doesn't know squat.
    They knew how to deliver 100,000 test kits to the U.S. a month ago, but then some people like to stick their head in the sand, or ignore facts.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2020
    That’s a rather arbitrary statement, but proves your point earlier about lies and statistics (statistics don’t lie, but one can interpret them differently according to the point that one wishes to make).

In fact, Italians enjoy universal healthcare, and their healthcare system is regarded by the World Health Organization as the second best in the world after France. Italy has the world's sixth highest life expectancy

I guess you missed the word *may*. Further info, that we don't have would probably shed a lot of light on the situation, like perhaps they had a disproportionate number of patients that fell in the over 80 or pre-existing conditions crowds.

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Kex
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Kex, is that travel outside the US, or travel anywhere?
    Meetings and business travel is cancelled everywhere, including domestic travel.

For personal trips, quarantine is only required according to the current CDC list. It’s a liability issue. They are worried about liability if anyone in the office becomes ill or dies from COVID-19.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    I guess you missed the word *may*. Further info, that we don't have would probably shed a lot of light on the situation.
    No, I didn’t, but the implication was there. It’s not a personal attack in any way, shape or form. Like you, I’m mostly interested in the implications for investment income, although I’m obviously concerned for anyone that has a family member that dies from this, or a loss of livelihood.

Alea jacta est!
  • Gardenstater
    I just want to make clear that I too am very much concerned for anyone who becomes a victim of this virus and my heart goes out to them and their families. Everyone is concerned with survival, both literally and financially.

George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    So far it is likely more people have died while driving to the store to hoard toilet paper, rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer than have died because of the virus. The media in this country has blood on their hands.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited March 2020
    Many colleges and Universities are relying on outside class activities

The issue will become a real PITA when it enters our public school systems with 3 months left in the school year
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Northern Italy claims that ICUs are overburdened with 10% of all hospitalizations requiring breathing machines. They simply don't have that type of space or equipment to handle this type of infection rate.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • BlueFox
    So far it is likely more people have died while driving to the store to hoard toilet paper, rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer than have died because of the virus. The media in this country has blood on their hands.

Virus cases at 520 in 30 states in the US at 4:30 PM on Sunday. It seems to be accelerating each day. Should be in all 50 states by end of day tomorrow. At some point it will really take off.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Gardenstater
    Sorry I couldn't help it.......S&P 500 Futures down 4.8%. Here comes the panic. Gold only up 1.7%
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • BlueFox
    Sorry I couldn't help it.......S&P 500 Futures down 4.8%. Here comes the panic. Gold only up 1.7%

I have never understood the ‘Futures’ market. If the stock market is closed then what is being bought and sold? Or is this another market that runs 7/24 a week?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    edited March 2020
    Indeed, and the Nasdaq is down a by similar amount. The DJIA is set to open down by over 1,000 points (over 4%).

Separately, oil is down 22% at $32, which is extraordinary (it had been down as much as 27% at $30). Goldman Sachs is warning that it could drop even lower.

The media are hardly hyping this at all. In fact, if one thinks back to when Bud first started this topic, if anything, they under reported the risk for quite some time. Without the media, it’s impossible to get anyone to take measures to combat an epidemic. Those who say that there’s nothing to worry about are the ones who are putting others’ lives at risk.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    ... If the stock market is closed then what is being bought and sold? Or is this another market that runs 7/24 a week?
    It is a separate platform available to qualified investors (the requirements seem to be easily met). It operates virtually 24 hours a day, 6 days a week.
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

Kinda insulting.

Sounds like disability to me.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305

Virus cases at 520 in 30 states in the US at 4:30 PM on Sunday. It seems to be accelerating each day. Should be in all 50 states by end of day tomorrow. At some point it will really take off.

Pretty safe to say it was in all 50 states several days ago. Exponential progression should show (reported) cases in the millions within 7-10 days, if they test that many people.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Gardenstater
    It certainly did not progress that rapidly in China, however they are in the unique position of being able to deny people's freedoms, such as freedom of movement and travel.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Ted Cruze quarantined himself after attending AIPAC meeting.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • BlueFox
    daddyjt wrote: »

Pretty safe to say it was in all 50 states several days ago. Exponential progression should show (reported) cases in the millions within 7-10 days, if they test that many people.

If it even does half that, or takes twice as long, then we will have a total economic collapse.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited March 2020
    I can tell you if one doc goes down, 1/6 of coverage goes down.

If another goes down, we will be running at 1/3 deficit.

If another then we will be at 50%.

I can tell you if we start dropping, there’s no back up. The hospital will simply have to deal with a coverage black out.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
This discussion has been closed.