Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ezBecK788

I didn't read the whole thread so apologies if this was previously posted
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    @ptrooper i have first hand experience with a sunfire sig Ii 625x2 and sda. They play very nicely together. I had 2.3 and 1.2 on the 625x2 with excellent results. I also had a McIntosh 2105 and a sunfire 300x2 , the sig II is a much better sounding amp. I sold it to @vcwatkins a while back to "upgrade" to a McIntosh mc402. I still feel to this day it was not an upgrade, it was just a different sound. Mine was redone by Roland.

Good amp choice in my opinion.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Speaking of past SDA, when i had the basement to myself, i had the 1.2 & 2.3, so placement was never an issue. FF to years later to the livingroom with one side wall 13 feet on the right and 20+ feet on the left using 3.1's and they did suprising well. Actually darn good. I only sold them to go to the Tyler's that are way too big for the room but i still like them.

I know the 3.1 were designed for a smaller room and seem more forgiving on placement. Was there a difference on the sda with the 3.1 or was it just placement of the drivers within the cabinet?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Good choice for the old SDA anyway. It may be a little thin for the L800. I had a 625x2 as well, and it was excellent with the 1.2TL’s. It also was very well matched to the LSI line.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    This is my understanding of SDA per Polk audio's explanation. Seems logical for sure. Flat speaker baffles. ;)
    cbiu4zcb36yx.png

I immediately thought about DCM Time windows when I saw the new Legend L800 pictures. These Time Windows are very spacious sounding because of their angled baffles I believe. I've owned 2 pr's of these DCMs and know their sound quite well.
    ex4ok8mk9stx.png

Each design is superb!

But...how do you combine the two designs and think it'll work. I'm also thinking and agreeing with the above comments, adding the other elements of the new L800 may be a negative. But what do I know, I don't own a set of the L800's yet.

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126

Check page 14 and the next couple pages after. We've had some solid discussion related to this review.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • nooshinjohn
    erniejade wrote: »
    Speaking of past SDA, when i had the basement to myself, i had the 1.2 & 2.3, so placement was never an issue. FF to years later to the livingroom with one side wall 13 feet on the right and 20+ feet on the left using 3.1's and they did suprising well. Actually darn good. I only sold them to go to the Tyler's that are way too big for the room but i still like them.

I know the 3.1 were designed for a smaller room and seem more forgiving on placement. Was there a difference on the sda with the 3.1 or was it just placement of the drivers within the cabinet?

There is only one driver for the dimensional array, so placement was much less critical. They are the most forgiving of placement issues of all the SDA line IMHO.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • erniejade wrote: »

There is only one driver for the dimensional array, so placement was much less critical. They are the most forgiving of placement issues of all the SDA line IMHO.

Could be the only thing shared between the past SDAs and the L800 excluding the XOer circuitry?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • nooshinjohn
    By the looks of it, the term SDA is the only thing they share.

• mpitogo wrote: »
    Just speculation on my part, but I wonder what influence the massive power port firing out the bottom has on the imaging issues everyone talks about with the L800. From my experience with the L200, there was a bunch of sound coming from the back.

I have never heard a set of SDA have the difficulties the new ones are said to have, and the major functional difference is that port.

SDA operates above 370hz and I believe is limited in upper frequency as well but has a tweeter for some of that range. The port tuning is definitely non directional. I can’t hear or localize it so the power port is doing it’s job to minimize port noise and chuffing even at high volumes. I must so say the L800 plays deep at low volumes and scales well up to a point.

This answered my next question: if the second tweeter was a part of the SDA circuit like the first gen SDA-CRSs.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    I only had to hear the positive side of this review and i was sold. B)

Check page 14 and the next couple pages after. We've had some solid discussion related to this review.

• nooshinjohn
    You ordered a pair?

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    ptrooper wrote: »
    I only had to hear the positive side of this review and i was sold. B)

Look forward to your impressions.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Will be a sweet shoot out, your modded sda versus the L800!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ptrooper
    @VR3 we'll need an Abbot L800 upgrade to be fair! B)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    I was interested in the route. Congrats on your speakers!

68al4wp2ytdd.png

36 h (3,417.1 km) via National Highway A1
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    edited March 2020

Oh dear! That route crosses the Nullarbor Plain, which is the area where hitchhiker Jamie Lee Curtis was being pursued by a killer in the film "Road Games". :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uigWezEe6v4
  • ptrooper
    edited March 2020
    Correction. Thank you. 3 days with stops .
    I have done the crossing over the Nullarbor whilst in the 3rd Royal Australian Regiment from Sydney to Perth and back 3 times and this was a 3 day ride only stopping for feeds!😀

68al4wp2ytdd.png

68al4wp2ytdd.png[
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    @ptrooper - I believe you win the award for furthest traveled to get a pair of speakers to feed your audio hobby. Wow!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ptrooper - I believe you win the award for furthest traveled to get a pair of speakers to feed your audio hobby. Wow!

Tom

Ummmmm.....no. :o
  • ptrooper
    edited March 2020
    Sorry Tom.I got a bit carried away talking about the distance which i had forgotten the time it takes to drive ! I definately wouldn't drive to pick them up.couriers would be far cheeper considering fuel prices here!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    ptrooper wrote: »
    921z53b1tzs1.jpg
    Polks demo room.How far apart do you think these speakers are?

That's one of the demo rooms at the old Polk HQ in Baltimore. The demo rooms at the current ARAD facility are much larger.

BTW, that's the back of Polk Paul's head. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    edited March 2020
    This is the space my L 800’s will have with a maximum of 4 ft between them, they'll be the best telly speakers in the house 😀, x07ys6m92zrn.jpeg
    uygg9tb99zi7.jpeg
    pp4yi68tn69u.jpeg
    Post edited by ptrooper on
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    why would you pay that much for speakers if your setup will not allow them get anywhere near their full potential ? like buying a souped up race car when the speed limit is 40 mph all over your state.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    @ptrooper
    Your place looks very nice...
    Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the L800 especially vs the SRS SDA's...
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Audiholics L800 SDA Speaker Unboxing & Setup

https://youtu.be/6MLgmBm-LtE

Interesting as he touches on the type of amp you SHOULDNT be using with this.

Looking forward to his actual review.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Interesting. Looking forward to more