Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    itj29t7k3meq.jpeg
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Some interesting news from the The Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at John Hopkins University
    • For the first time ever, the number of recovered in China has exceeded 50% of known cases: 42K vs. 80K
    • Italy has now exceeded 1,000 cases.
    • France, Germany and Singapore have now exceeded 100 cases each (only 2 deaths in France, including an 80+ Chinese tourist, not 12 deaths, as was erroneously stated elsewhere).
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Parallels have been drawn with influenza. Yes, there are more deaths every year from influenza than have been recorded from COVID-19. But just like traffic accident deaths and gunshot deaths, those do not impact the financial markets, because they are predictable. They occur every year, in greater or lesser amounts, but the market expects them to happen.

COVID-19 is having such a significant effect on the markets because it is unpredictable. Bud has already hinted that he got out of the market because of fear of losses, not because he feared catching the virus himself.

Not everyone can just get out of the market, though. I haven’t sold a single position because getting out of the market would mean planning for Capital Gains tax: 200K for every million in Capital Gains.

Furthermore, getting back in the market is not that simple either: for every million in Capital gains, there would then be 200K less to put back in the market when the time comes. This would have a significant effect on investment leverage.

It would be easy to lose any advantage from selling in the first place under those circumstances. Timing the market when the upswing happens - and is maintained - can be a tricky thing.

So, the politics of reporting on the outbreak has little bearing on this perspective. If market forces judge that there could be economic consequences from the spread of the virus, then the market will fall. It’s that simple, and this has been demonstrated unequivocally during the last week of trading.
    Alea jacta est!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    If anything, this should be an eye opener on how globally connected economies are and how important China is to it.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Kex wrote: »
    Bud has already hinted that he got out of the market because of fear of losses, not because he feared catching the virus himself.

I didn’t hint. I did, except for some I would have had to pay tax on if I sold it. Being 70, my investments are conservative, so hopefully they will weather this storm. Of course this assumes I don’t catch it and checkout from this planet.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2020
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Bud has already hinted that he got out of the market because of fear of losses, not because he feared catching the virus himself.

I didn’t hint. I did, except for some I would have had to pay tax on if I sold it. Being 70, my investments are conservative, so hopefully they will weather this storm. Of course this assumes I don’t catch it and checkout from this planet.
    BlueFox wrote: »

So deaths caused by flu will rise from 60K to 3M. That is 3 million people meaning if you have 200 friends in your Facebook profile around 10 of them will be dead until the end of the year. It may be your son, father, coworker, best friend etc.

No worries Bud, if you do pass from COVID-19, you will be back by the end of the year ;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Ah, a refreshing voice of reason.....bravo!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    I did buy a small bottle of hand sanitizer today. I feel I am now ready to face the Corona virus head on. Does that make be a prepper?
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    This might be an issue for the Chinese but here in the US the agenda driven media are solely responsible for all the hoopla. More Americans will be killed by years end by meteorites than by this fake news virus.
  • Kex
    edited March 2020
    JPMorgan, Citi and Goldman Sachs suggest that there hasn't been enough pain to call a bottom yet. Things may bounce tomorrow, and they may not, but in the Great Recession, the bottom did not happen until early March 2009.

Latest news from JHU CSSE Corona Virus Tracker:
    • China exceeds 80K cases (almost 45K recovered).
    • South Korea exceeds 4K cases.
    • Italy heading for 2K cases within days. The number of recovered nears 100.
    • U.S.A. almost certain to exceed 100 cases within days.
    Anyone basing their investing decisions on information found on alt-right conspiracy propaganda websites like zerohedge dot com deserves everything that comes their way. They will reap what they sow.
    Alea jacta est!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    ...Anyone basing their investing decisions on information found on alt-right conspiracy propaganda websites like zerohedge dot com deserves everything that comes their way. They will reap what they sow.

nbwfhh9mgp4i.jpeg

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Kex
    edited March 2020
    ^^^^
    It’s been quoted more than once in this thread, but it is not a credible source of information, by any stretch of the imagination. They make stuff up, to put it mildly.
    Alea jacta est!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    ...it is not a credible source of information, by any stretch of the imagination. They make stuff up, to put it mildly.

Sounds like they would fit in nicely with the rest of our main-stream media...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    First death here in Western Australia. Well he doesn’t look Australian but is ,he also came of that floating incubator from Japan
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I really don't get all the attention this is getting. In the US you guys have more people dying everyday from car crashes, guns and other illnesses. Do you really think this virus is the main reason the fall in the markets, come on! They are riding the coat tails of the fear the media is injecting into your lives. Just use common sense, wash hands don't lick the escalator railing and don't spit in or let others spit in your mouth and eyes.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited March 2020
    So what's your theory on why the markets are falling if not fear of the impact upon global economic growth that could be caused by a possible panemic?.........fear of Bernie winning the democratic nomination, and then *possibly* the Presidency?

The volatility is no doubt due to the fact that something like 90% of the trading is algos. now, as crazy as that is.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Market chain disruption. Media hype/fear mongering.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Willow
    The virus didn't cause the markets to fall, the fear that people won't be able to get their newest iPhone, or whatever else is made in China did. People can wait, this will all settle soon enough. The moment there is a little blimp in the world, oh it's time to sell share holders are scared they won't get their extra million this year.
  • treitz3
    la2vegas wrote: »
    No offense, but your logic is faulty.
    Care to back that up with any intelligence?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    @willow this is by no means an event that is isolated to the US markets. Global markets have been taking a hit comeon lol
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Willow
    I never stated it was isolated. Global, yes because everything we buy is made in China.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    If you're in the market for a globe, which market is the best to buy it from??
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited March 2020
    @willow this is by no means an event that is isolated to the US markets. Global markets have been taking a hit comeon lol

Absolutely, maybe take a step back and actually look at how much dependency from all over the globe is put in China. Cheap labor, cheap goods, etc. Their economy tanks, most everyone elses will too.

We make jokes about everything being made in China, right ? Shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    While I have not "fact checked" this.....I heard on the news yesterday that back in the last economic recession of '08-'09, China only had 4% of the world market share. Today, they hold 16%. That's a big difference. FWIW

Tom
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited March 2020
    Because of the scare, I feel it is also hitting some small business owners. I run Karaoke and DJ in a few small bars. For the past few weeks, the bars that are usually packed during the winter ( 100+) have only had 10-15 customers all night on a Friday. Summertime they usually slow down a bit and loose some to places that have an outdoor patio but, not as bad as I have seen in the past few weeks.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited March 2020
    It amazes me how poor people know everything about the stock market.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    So much for the gloom and doomers. Stocks are roaring back!
This discussion has been closed.