Power Line EMI Meter - Alpha Labs (Demo Program)

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Not a problem. The more research we can collect the better. Thanks for letting me know.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited February 2020
    Thanks to everyone for your patience. I received the PSA PowerPlant3 regenerator today, and have been conducting measurements this evening with the EMI meter. PM sent to tratliff for shipping info, because frankly...this tester is straight from hell >:) It will make you question everything!

Apparently, I should just use my Chang Lightspeed power conditioner, and be done! :D

I'll try to piece together some more formal comments.

P.S. I'll be conducting listening tests as well between my particular power devices, but will likely start a new thread. This may be like splitting hairs from a gnat's a$$.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • tratliff
    PM responded to with details. Thanks.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    @jdjohn, interesting findings. Thanks for sharing. I have a Core Power Technologies 1800 and will perform the same as you w/my gear. I definitely hear a positive difference running my BHK pre, amp and PSA DAC through the CPT. Don't tell me I may question my entire conditioning beliefs when I get this meter. Say it ain't so!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • jdjohn
    @JayCee ... brace yourself. The question is: do I let EMI measurements alone make my decision on power products?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    So @jdjohn Chang Lightspeed power  looks like its the one to find? Did you notice a sound quality difference regardless of how it measured against the PSA?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • JayCee
    edited February 2020
    CPT, ie. Underwood Hifi/Walter Liederman, has a product called Deep Core. Was created by the previous owner of CPT but had major problems smoking gear. Long story but that's all been worked out and Walter now stands behind/owns CPT.

Deep Core is supposed to tackle EMI, RFI, DC and is billed as the companion to the 1800. It's currently on the perpetual "on sale" train Underwood is known for. I've contemplated getting it but the one caveat to buying "on sale" from Wally is there are no returns (eval periods) if not purchased at list price.

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/deepcore-1800

The techno jargon on the website is a bit fuzzy convincing me it works and it's hard to find any reviews of the product so am on the fence. I may just call him to discuss further as this weekend is Underwood's President's Day sale and I'm close to getting Verbs loaner EMI meter. Decisions, decisions....
    Post edited by JayCee on
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • jdjohn
    edited February 2020
    Hey @erniejade , that will be a separate thread for listening tests.

One thing I can see say unequivocally at this point is: Chang Lightspeed power conditioners deserve a lot of respect...especially at their price point. They are a good value.

EDIT PS: As more time passes with the PSA P3 regenerator in-line, there is more separation sonically from other power sources.

Clear as mud?!? :D
    Post edited by jdjohn on
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    jdjohn wrote: »
    @JayCee ... brace yourself. The question is: do I let EMI measurements alone make my decision on power products?

Imo I think that's the very least a power product should do is lower the emi. I tested 3 different pc's that I had here and got rid of one that actually added emi. The other 2 lowered it with expected results of the more expensive one lowering it the most. Testing power cords though ranged from extreme disappointment to astonishment. That's the area where I agree with your comment about the tester "coming straight from hell".
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    verb wrote: »
    Of course you can have an extension!
    Viking64 wrote: »
    SCANDAL!!! OUTRAGE!!!

https://youtu.be/o5PDrkzuaFQ
    When I'm with you girl I get an extension
    And I don't mean Alexander Graham Bell's invention
    Switchboard Susan, can we be friends?
    After six, at weekends

B)

I'd like to point out that this is on topic -- it will be recalled that the decibel (dB), an important unit of measurement for both acoustics and electronics, is a tenth of a Bel, and the Bel is named after none but Alexander Graham Bel(l).

You could look it up.

x8qw4hntqmb3.png
    I'm a long distance romancer
    I keep on trying till I get an answer
    Gimme gimme one more chance
    She's a greater little operator

She's a greater little operator

Hey babe, you're number's great
    38-27-38
    Oh you bring a smile to my dial
    Oh you're great, operator's great

(plus, it's a great song...)

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    JayCee wrote: »
    CPT, ie. Underwood Hifi/Walter Liederman, has a product called Deep Core. Was created by the previous owner of CPT but had major problems smoking gear. Long story but that's all been worked out and Walter now stands behind/owns CPT.

Deep Core is supposed to tackle EMI, RFI, DC and is billed as the companion to the 1800. It's currently on the perpetual "on sale" train Underwood is known for. I've contemplated getting it but the one caveat to buying "on sale" from Wally is there are no returns (eval periods) if not purchased at list price.

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/deepcore-1800

The techno jargon on the website is a bit fuzzy convincing me it works and it's hard to find any reviews of the product so am on the fence. I may just call him to discuss further as this weekend is Underwood's President's Day sale and I'm close to getting Verbs loaner EMI meter. Decisions, decisions....

IIRC someone here bought one of these and loves it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • JayCee
    edited February 2020
    IIRC someone here bought one of these and loves it! :smile:

Hmmm. I'll have to search...must've missed it. I spoke w/Walter while he was eating lunch in Maui. LOL. Took my order from his table. He's definitely done well and makes no apologies for doing so. Should've asked him what the catch of the day was.

Should ship o/a Monday and I'll have it midweek. Will give me a few weeks of play time before the EMI meter arrives. The CPT 1800 I purchased last year 100% works as advertised and I love it. Deep Core was designed as a companion piece. Not sure how much I'll gain but I'm curious enough to bite. I like the power regenerators but have gone the passive approach. I'd like to have something that performs as advertised but won't require recapping in the future.
  • jdjohn
    The tester is now on its way to @tratliff . Thanks again to @verb for setting up this demo tour...and allowing my time extension :)
  • jdjohn
    Okay, here are my final measurement results, taken from three different outlets, utilizing products as shown.
    1y3qqewgmkvy.png

Regarding the locations, it may be of interest to note that (as numbered) these progress further away from the control panel. #1 is literally on the other side of the wall from the panel. #2 is about 10ft away as the crow flies (probably 20ft of cable run). #3 is in an upstairs bedroom.

Obviously some strange anomalies occurring, with the best/lowest, end-results (measured from power products) coming from the 'noisiest' location. To put a finer point on it: location #3, with 975mV straight from the outlet, came down below 100 when using the power products. Also interesting to see that the PP9000 consistently measured better than (or equal to) the new P3. And, the CLS beat them all for this test. SMH

I can't help but wonder if location #3, being furthest from the panel, is most easily 'cleaned'. #1 & #2, being closer to the panel, might be more stubborn? I can't say conclusively...just conjecture.

Clearly, I was not able to get into the 'No Concern' level of <60, but luckily never into the 'Severe Concern' level >500 with a power product in place.

Anyway, an interesting experiment to be sure, and thanks again to verb!
  • JayCee
    edited February 2020
    @jdjohn, excellent breakdown and comments. Interesting, indeed. After tabulating your results do they confirm what you hear?

I don't remember coming across CLS products in the past. Appears to be a passive device?...which is what I'm interested in. Spent time reading on their tech and found this tidbit:

https://www.changlightspeed.com/learn-more

"Lightspeed Powerline filters are unique in their ability to effectively block voltage spikes and RFI/EMI without the use of any inductive coils. In addition to preserving your investment by protecting your delicate circuitry, Lightspeed Powerline filters enhance system performance. Freed from a coil's leaden effects, Lightspeed meets moment-to-moment current demands without hesitation.

Audiophiles benefit from increased spaciousness, transient resolution and dynamic contrast. Videophiles enjoy more stable images, better color saturation and fewer noise-induced artifacts. Home theater aficionados enjoy improvements in every operating parameter. Lightspeed users report the following performance enhancements:

Improved musicality
    Deeper and wider soundstaging
    More precise focusing
    Improved transient resolution
    Greater dynamic contrast
    Extended frequency response
    Improved video clarity, sharpness and color saturation
    Improved performance of electrostatic loudspeakers"

My CPT EQUI=CORE 1800 balanced power conditioner uses a big a$$ coil. Not exactly sure what's in the guts of the Deep Core I ordered but will pop the hood when I get it. Deep Core's even more relevant to this test as it's specifically designed to target EMI, RFI, etc. Since I'll have 2 separate components I'll be able to conduct measurements on each piece of the puzzle.

Not surprised w/the P3 results; I've read very positive reviews on the PSA regenerators. I can't find the CLS-6400 on the CLS website. Is it an older model? How does it compare in price to the P3? Wonder how it would fare a step up from Steller to the Perfectwave offerings? EDIT TO ADD: the P3 at location 2 appears to be an anomaly compared to the wall. Perhaps it was the time of day or other influencing factors; heater running, microwave, UFO?

As you stated before...the measurements might not tell the entire story. I'm keeping an open mind and will treat the EMI meter results as another data point. Hopefully, I'll see some sort of correlation to what I hear. But, bottom line with respect to conditioning, I either hear a positive difference or I don't. Nothing's staying in my system unless it's for the better.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    CLS -6400 is a discontinued model from 1999 according to my research. Looks like the CLS 309-509 are similar to the CLS-6400
  • JayCee
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    CLS -6400 is a discontinued model from 1999 according to my research. Looks like the CLS 309-509 are similar to the CLS-6400

Thanks. Older than I would've guessed. Wonder if they've made major improvements in 20+ years.
  • jdjohn
    Hi @JayCee . pitdogg is correct that the CLS-6400 is an older model, and I agree that the 309/509 are the most similar current models. Actually, I can't figure out the difference between the 309 & 509. One difference compared to the old 6400 model is that the old model has the power cord hard-wired, and the current ones have an IEC socket.

Yes, these are passive devices, and as you read, no inductors or transformers are used in them, which means they are not current-restrictive like some other products.

I'm glad they finally updated their website. The older version had some rather 'cartoonish' images to help explain their technology, which sometimes made me question the products. But once I tried one, I didn't care about the cartoons. I paid somewhere in the $300-400 range for my 6400s a few years ago since they were several years old at that point. Looks like a new 309 sells for $645 at thecableco.com , so quite a bit cheaper than a new P3! Both products have 6 sockets.

As far as listening results, I still need to experiment more in order to make a hard determination of how it compares to the P3. I use one CLS for my side/test system, but do have a second one that I can work into my main system, and try to do some listening tests between it and the P3. As I'm sure you know, it can be difficult conducting these types of tests due to 1) time and effort of swapping power supplies, and 2) auditory memory is rather short.

Having started with a Chang Lightspeed as my first foray into power conditioning, I can honestly say it impressed me when I first used it...and I had no good reason to move on from it. But as often happens, upgraditis hit me, which is why I decided to try the PSA products. The CLS are rather unassuming in appearance, and perhaps I thought I needed more bling :D Or...I wanted something to match my other PSA gear. I see that you can relate to the PSA 'thing' :)
  • JayCee
    Thanks for the details. Yes, I'm a PS Audio fan. The Perfectwave (or similar products...Niagra, etc) are most likely what I should be looking at but I'm having fun playing around on the cheap. At heart, I'm always looking for price vs performance, but will pay more for something if I've thoroughly vetted it and am looking to keep very long term. The Directstream DAC and BHK stack are examples but I purchased at steep discounts vs MSRP. Generally speaking, those days for PSA equipment are over.

Back to the conditioners...compared to the 2 CPT products I have/will have, the CLS 309 is much cheaper and an all in one offering. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? I'm on the east side of WA State. Would be sweet if we were close enough to do a shootout.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I can't help but wonder if location #3, being furthest from the panel, is most easily 'cleaned'. #1 & #2, being closer to the panel, might be more stubborn? I can't say conclusively...just conjecture.

I'm betting 1 and 2 are on the opposite 120 leg of 3. In my case I have one very noisy leg and 1 quiet leg. I have my dedicated lines just a couple feet from the panel and I've had them as low as 11. I think if anything the lines should be quieter when they're closer to the panel as there's less line to pick up interference.
  • jdjohn
    @motorstereo Interesting since 1 & 3 are the two noisiest at the wall.

@JayCee I'm in Nashville, TN, so just a day trip! ;)
  • tratliff
    I received the EMI meter from @jdjohn this morning. I had to give it a try here at the office. Outlet right near my desk was reading 165.

I'll put together a test plan and start testing in my stereo room this evening.

Thanks @verb for allowing us to borrow this.
  • verb
    You're welcome sir! @GlennDog you're next!
    xycaz28cd2y5.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tratliff
    Gave it a quick check on one of my dedicated lines when I walked in and thought great it was showing 20.

Didn't check any others and went to have dinner. Came back after dinner to check the same outlet and it was up to 760. I thought what the hell.

Checked all lines I was planning to check and they were all very high. Average 700. And the shared circuit was 1100.

Started to check what was powered up in the house. Noticed the heater was on. Turned it off. Now the highest on any of my dedicated lines is 27. And 42 on the shared circuit in the room.

Anybody else notice anything like this?

I will capture numbers with both the heater on and off and share results.
  • verb
    Interesting. Electric heater, or gas furnace?
  • tratliff
    Interesting. Electric heater, or gas furnace?

Heat pump - electric.
  • verb
    Noise coming from the air handler's fan motor? Just speculating.
  • tratliff
    Noise coming from the air handler's fan motor? Just speculating.

That seems very possible but not sure how to track it to the motor.

Going to check how the breakers for all are configured. All my audio equipment is in a sub panel. Not sure how the a/c is aligned with the sub panel. Just a thought.
  • jdjohn
    I wondered the same thing - about the air-handler being on/off - but could never get conclusive results. Actually, my quietest outlet was on the other side of the wall from my air handler...and the EMI measurements didn't seem to vary much whether the handler was on or off. Curious to hear tratliff's results.