Does Apple just keep making the experience worse?

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,031
Hello all,
Photos, lets talk about this. Back just a few years ago we had iPhoto which was a perfect working way to manage your photos, create albums go on vacation and combine shots from different days etc.
When Photos came out they lost so many abilities and created new ways to use them and I can't stand it. Also now I just learned they dropped Back to my mac feature which basically was a sharing ability that put your photos on all devices setup to do so. So what was awesome about that is I could take a photo with my iPhone( Any model) and then open my computer and there was the photo. Now thats gone and they want you to use iCloud drive. Geez now I have to learn how to use that? Sounds like I just need to go to the Apple Store with a Genius appointment and relearn all the things I learned and loved about Apple Mac computers etc.
Maybe I'm just getting old but for me it's pretty hard to keep up with all these changes. I have a hard enough time keeping up in my industry let alone now I have to change all my thinking with Apple. I hate it.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    mantis wrote: »
    Hello all,
    Photos, lets talk about this. Back just a few years ago we had iPhoto which was a perfect working way to manage your photos, create albums go on vacation and combine shots from different days etc.
    When Photos came out they lost so many abilities and created new ways to use them and I can't stand it. Also now I just learned they dropped Back to my mac feature which basically was a sharing ability that put your photos on all devices setup to do so. So what was awesome about that is I could take a photo with my iPhone( Any model) and then open my computer and there was the photo. Now thats gone and they want you to use iCloud drive. Geez now I have to learn how to use that? Sounds like I just need to go to the Apple Store with a Genius appointment and relearn all the things I learned and loved about Apple Mac computers etc.
    Maybe I'm just getting old but for me it's pretty hard to keep up with all these changes. I have a hard enough time keeping up in my industry let alone now I have to change all my thinking with Apple. I hate it.

@Mantis,

I share your frustration with recent "improvements" to apple products -- software and hardware.

Apple has los and turned away from the direction Steve Jobs gave Apple from the outset. the last time they turned away from his demand for ease of use in everything he would approve for release, Apple went down a path which led to their rehiring him as CEO after they had forced him out of Apple under John Scully in the late 1980s. Now, they don't have the option of rehiring him to lead them out of the swamp.

I worked directly for Steve Jobs for over three years when he was "on leave" from Apple and founded NeXT Computer, Inc., whose NeXTstep operating system provides the basis for both OS X and iOs today, and one of his common behaviors that I vividly recall is his reaction to developers who brought him new products for his review. If he could not use those proposed "improved" products without instructions or manuals after two intuitive attempts, he sent those developers packing to bring back to him a product that was intuitive for any user.

Today, I believe Apple has moved to the more common practice of companies in the US of first and foremost designing, developing, and releasing products that maximize present and future profits for the corporation, not products that immediately satisfy the customer. If Apple continues down this path, the firm will become just another producers of mass market, second-rate consumer electronics.

The emphasis on the use of iCloud is a case in point. Apple appears to be pressuring all of us loyal Apple users (me for over 20 years) to move to a scheme which, while it has benefits for users who prefer to store their data on iCloud, does not benefit those of us who want to keep our data "at home." Keeping all my photos on my hard drive, does create a profit opportunity for Apple to rent storage space to me.

Your citing the differences between iPhoto and Photos is a second case in point. My wife far more than I used iPhoto extensively to edit her photos. Many of the functions in iPhoto that she used regularly either disappeared or became difficult to use in Photos. When she upgraded her computer and found that it came only with Photos, not with iPhoto, she finally called Apple Technical Support. The associate told her that they were very aware of the "improvements" in Photos that made these features difficult to use or no longer available. Finally, they explained how she could reinstall iPhoto on her "upgraded" new computer.

I recently purchased a new iPad Pro with 2TB of storage so that I could store virtually all my music on it and use it in my car while driving back and forth to our second home and to use as a NAS in our second home. For a variety of reasons that I will not bore you with, I found it all but impossible to transfer my music to the iPad Pro. such an activity had been simple with all prior Apple devices that I used. After several hours on the phone with Apple Support, we kluged a way to do what I needed to do. Having spent in excess of $2K for the iPad Pro, although I achieved my goal, I was not a happy camper in the end. The difficulty in achieving my goal, I believe, is the result of Apple's desire to move music storage and access to iCloud and the steps they have taken to facilitate their profit goal, not my goal as a user.

As far as I am concerned, Apple's competitive advantages are rapidly eroding.

C'est la vie.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I only use i devices for remote controls and that is frustrating. I never saw the appeal beyond the first iPhone. A lot of o people like em but a lot of people like McDonald's. Maybe you should go to the other dark side? I at least find Android more useable.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I never bought into the Apple way.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Muchieman
    Muchieman Posts: 204
    who pays a 1500 for a phone
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited January 2020
    Every time I open an MS Office 'app' and it's been changed by the most recent update(s), I have pretty much the same reaction about the Microsoft goobers (FWIW).

rmqcs39sq6au.png

EDIT: Oh, in full disclosure: If you were to ask for a definition of Schadenfreude, I would respond with:
    How Marky feels whenever he catches wind of even the faintest whiff of Apple-bashing, especially by the erstwhile faithful.

B)

Sorry, but I've been less than enamored of Apple's tactics for a long, long, long time.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited January 2020
    One of these days this cloud stuff is going to implode big time. Our company is now 100% cloud storage. The way state hackers are it's just a matter of time before the intellectual property of or a vast amount of state secrets or companies proprietary information is lost to say China or North Korea and others to steal. By the time it's figured out it's way too late.
    I'd gladly be 100% wrong but who's to say it 100% can't happen?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I refuse to upgrade my phone.

ps3l1d85vtxi.jpg
  • Muchieman
    Muchieman Posts: 204
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I refuse to upgrade my phone.

ps3l1d85vtxi.jpg

lmao, nice!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Looks like a call to Juanita.
    The mystery woman of Mayberry
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Looks like a call to Juanita.
    The mystery woman of Mayberry

"Let's see....shower....shave....call Thelma Lou. Yup, that's what I need to remember....shower, shave, call Thelma Lou."
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I think it's something closer to go home take a nap then go watch a program with Thelma Lou.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Hey it's Apple it's what they do. >:)
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • mantis
    Hello all,

@Mantis,

I share your frustration with recent "improvements" to apple products -- software and hardware.

Apple has los and turned away from the direction Steve Jobs gave Apple from the outset. the last time they turned away from his demand for ease of use in everything he would approve for release, Apple went down a path which led to their rehiring him as CEO after they had forced him out of Apple under John Scully in the late 1980s. Now, they don't have the option of rehiring him to lead them out of the swamp.

I worked directly for Steve Jobs for over three years when he was "on leave" from Apple and founded NeXT Computer, Inc., whose NeXTstep operating system provides the basis for both OS X and iOs today, and one of his common behaviors that I vividly recall is his reaction to developers who brought him new products for his review. If he could not use those proposed "improved" products without instructions or manuals after two intuitive attempts, he sent those developers packing to bring back to him a product that was intuitive for any user.

Today, I believe Apple has moved to the more common practice of companies in the US of first and foremost designing, developing, and releasing products that maximize present and future profits for the corporation, not products that immediately satisfy the customer. If Apple continues down this path, the firm will become just another producers of mass market, second-rate consumer electronics.

The emphasis on the use of iCloud is a case in point. Apple appears to be pressuring all of us loyal Apple users (me for over 20 years) to move to a scheme which, while it has benefits for users who prefer to store their data on iCloud, does not benefit those of us who want to keep our data "at home." Keeping all my photos on my hard drive, does create a profit opportunity for Apple to rent storage space to me.

Your citing the differences between iPhoto and Photos is a second case in point. My wife far more than I used iPhoto extensively to edit her photos. Many of the functions in iPhoto that she used regularly either disappeared or became difficult to use in Photos. When she upgraded her computer and found that it came only with Photos, not with iPhoto, she finally called Apple Technical Support. The associate told her that they were very aware of the "improvements" in Photos that made these features difficult to use or no longer available. Finally, they explained how she could reinstall iPhoto on her "upgraded" new computer.

I recently purchased a new iPad Pro with 2TB of storage so that I could store virtually all my music on it and use it in my car while driving back and forth to our second home and to use as a NAS in our second home. For a variety of reasons that I will not bore you with, I found it all but impossible to transfer my music to the iPad Pro. such an activity had been simple with all prior Apple devices that I used. After several hours on the phone with Apple Support, we kluged a way to do what I needed to do. Having spent in excess of $2K for the iPad Pro, although I achieved my goal, I was not a happy camper in the end. The difficulty in achieving my goal, I believe, is the result of Apple's desire to move music storage and access to iCloud and the steps they have taken to facilitate their profit goal, not my goal as a user.

As far as I am concerned, Apple's competitive advantages are rapidly eroding.

C'est la vie.
    Thanks for taking for the lengthy reply. iPhoto was a perfect Photo management system and Photos sucks. I hate everything about it as probably does your wife. They broke what was a great way to manage your photos and made it almost impossible to work with. I basically given up on it and my photos now are a mess.
    Windows is no better or Android so I feel that I'm just lost in this world right now. Until I can get over to the Apple Store and re learn all that I have learned over the decades of owning and using Apple Products I'll try to manage this madness.

Dan
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I mean... there are open-source OS, like Ubuntu.

I used Ubuntu for quite a while but kind of tired of it when it started getting as Byzantine as the for profit OS. :/

I keep getting tempted to revisit it (or some other Linux-based OS), though (FWIW).
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    gimpod wrote: »
    Hey it's Apple it's what they do. >:)

Tony, called out of retirement for this one!
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Speaking of phones....just retired my old HTC for a Samsung A20. Nice phone, does what I want it to do, decent camera, good battery life. Just that.....all the frickin' advertising from Samsung gets aggravating.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited January 2020
    Been a Mac/Apple user/customer/fanboi since junior high...the mid 90's... Yes. Absolutely hands down they keep making the experience worse. I have a strong love/hate/hate relationship with Apple products. ATV4, The remote is borderline terrible, The ONLY benefit being Siri and volume on the remote, Gone is the intuitive interface that was seamless from app to app. Yes, they've added some great features, but also a whole bunch of garbage nobody needs, and taken away a few features that made it so convenient to use. Were it not for the sound and picture quality upgrades I would stick with the ATV3.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187319/apple-not-getting-it-atv4-rant#latest

Moosebash said it:
    If he could not use those proposed "improved" products without instructions or manuals after two intuitive attempts, he sent those developers packing to bring back to him a product that was intuitive for any user.

The best iPhone I ever had was the 4s. Thing still works!! Every phone since has been less reliable, less durable, more prone to glitches, and feels like they've forced some mottled idea of what is intuitive down our gullet.
    Sounds like I just need to go to the Apple Store with a Genius appointment and relearn all the things I learned and loved about Apple Mac computers etc.

Case in point, the whole idea is supposed to be you don't need to learn how to use it, because you just...can. I've experienced similar troubles with Photos and iCloud, often finding Image Capture easier and faster to find/transfer things than Photos, by far! Photostream works...sometimes...I'm constantly re-initializing iCloud of Photostream to get pictures when and were I need them, If they're going to advertise these features the least they could do is make them work!

Intuitiveness is what made apple products amazing, they seemed to do exactly what you thought they should do. No longer. I've become increasingly irritated with the Apple Schema. Even though things ultimately do work very well, it seems to take too much thought and effort to make them do what once seemed stupid easy. If it weren't for my aversion to completely learning a new system after 10+years of iPhone/apple saturation I would happily smash and burn all my Apple products. And I may yet. Friends with Alexa/Google setups are living in 2045, Apple seems stuck in 2010.

Good things, reasons I stick with them (aside of not wanting to learn a new schema) remote app on the phone for ATV. iMessage works amazing almost all the time, Facetime is fantastic, and my phone/computer/ATV usually talk pretty seamelessly, although Airplay can be a real fickle **** sometimes, it generally works well, and Apple music seems higher quality than Spotify, if a bit more cumbersome in ways. And my 2011 21.5" 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 iMac I bought used 8 years ago has been flawless. There's a handful of individual features on the other apple products I find very useful, just barely enough to keep me locked in. ****.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    In a good many ways, they have lost their way. There are alot of "new" features and such that require me to Google to find out how to use it. This really was not the case very much at all.

Apple has fallen into the "X company is doing it, so we better catch up" way instead of just keeping things simple and doing it their way.

I like the old Apple way instead of the catch up to the competition kind of way.
    No excuses!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    ... So what was awesome about that is I could take a photo with my iPhone( Any model) and then open my computer and there was the photo. Now thats gone and they want you to use iCloud drive...

That’s not gone. In fact, that’s how it works. If I take a photo on my phone, within 5 seconds or so, it will be available on my iPad, iPod and Mac as well. I do use iCloud.

Photos may work differently than iPhoto, and I’ll have to admit that I’ve never used iPhoto either, so there was no transition for me, but the best option at this point is almost certainly to get used to Photos. What were Events in iPhotos are now Albums in Photos (basically creating an alias, or shortcut to the same photo file, without duplicating it), but you can organize them any way you like on your Mac (or on your phone or iPad, obviously). Create albums and shared albums. Since you already stated elsewhere that you already use iCloud, it should be very simple.

The old iPhoto application (first released in 2002) has not been updated since 2015, and at some point, it will be increasingly obsolete.
    Alea jacta est!
  • I tried to update it, not compatible with my current version OS :o
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• mantis
    Kex wrote: »
    ... So what was awesome about that is I could take a photo with my iPhone( Any model) and then open my computer and there was the photo. Now thats gone and they want you to use iCloud drive...

That’s not gone. In fact, that’s how it works. If I take a photo on my phone, within 5 seconds or so, it will be available on my iPad, iPod and Mac as well. I do use iCloud.

Photos may work differently than iPhoto, and I’ll have to admit that I’ve never used iPhoto either, so there was no transition for me, but the best option at this point is almost certainly to get used to Photos. What were Events in iPhotos are now Albums in Photos (basically creating an alias, or shortcut to the same photo file, without duplicating it), but you can organize them any way you like on your Mac (or on your phone or iPad, obviously). Create albums and shared albums. Since you already stated elsewhere that you already use iCloud, it should be very simple.

The old iPhoto application (first released in 2002) has not been updated since 2015, and at some point, it will be increasingly obsolete.
    Well if it's not gone mine doesn't work anymore. I have not been able to take a photo and it show up in photos.

Dan
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    My guess is that either your Apple ID’s are not the same on your iPhone and your Mac. If they are, then the other possibility is that Photos is not using iCloud in your settings for Photos.

nmpy5sqkn34o.jpeg
    Alea jacta est!
  • mantis
    Mine use to work when it wanted to. I had Apple Look at it a few times and they never get it fixed. One week all my photos I took would be on my mac, then the next week none of them would come over. It drives me crazy. I call Apple they log into my phone and computer and check over all my setting including my iCloud account to make sure they match and they always do. All my settings are always right as I have been using this feature since it was available.
    It started to not work correctly when I owned the iPhone 7 plus then 8 plus , the X and now the 11 Pro Max. I have a 2015 Late model MacBook Pro and it's running Catalina but these issues started years ago. It really was after iPhoto went away and Photos was the new photo app. It hasn't worked since October 6, 2019 if that date means anything.
    Dan