Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited January 2020
    What cables do you run?
    I have noticed Allot of people here agree to Mit cables, they apparently go extremely well with their systems. I started looking into them and loved the the way you can change their impedance to match equipment with a simple little switch!.
    I myself was too deep into Transparent cables before knowing about Mits and have recently stopped upgrades at MM2'S which made a huge difference being two lvls up from their reference line!.
    I think most people here said the best value for money was Mit s3.1's or 1.3's.
    Some one might chime in regarding the model numbers. I'll bet Mr lefty and righty that good cables will really expand your L800 sound stage and put a smile on your mellon!.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I have found over the years that the main benefit of using MIT Shotgun and up series is the holographic sound image they help produce compared to others. Take them out of the loop and to me stereo goes flat. Bass reproduction is also great and gets better with more "poles of articulation" the more expensive the cables are. The switchable impedance on interconnects I have not found to be a big factor because most gear operates in similar ranges. Speaker cables of course don't even have that.

Others may prefer a more direct/accurate sound, like something from Audioquest, Kimber, and many others. I've tried others and always fall back to MIT cabling (except for power cords). I simply find they produce a more entertaining sound quality for music.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    The common theme we all agree on is synergy.
    I didn’t believe that conditioners made a difference until I took a chance on one. Now I cannot imagine my system without it.
    The type of system I have built revolves around the music I listen to. Diverse but more centered around electronic. Therefore AQ serves me well as a more direct/accurate sound as stated above.
    But through all of this, I wouldn’t discount cables and power to be unnecessary. But I would say they need to be properly selected.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited January 2020
    Hi @ptrooper

for interconnect I am using AQ Mackenzie XLR
    for speaker I am using BlueJeansCables Canare 4S ultrasonically welded onto spades
    for power I am using the OE cables

The biggest change for me on the L800 was the move from McIntosh MC452 and Marantz PM-10 to McIntosh MA5200 for the treble section (SDA). This was truly a game changer, the MC452 still services the bass and had a warmer sound but the single ended direct coupled output of the MA5200 really brought SDA to life.

The best way to illustrate this is to show via an image. The two balanced amps were feeding the SDA channel with only half of the signal while the single ended MA5200 was in your head and really brought out the soundstage they were intended to. If anything maybe a bit more than I expected since sometimes it seems the sound is coming from behind me, eg The Flaming Lips Oczy Mlody. But for other like Karen Elson Double Roses or The Kills Ash & Ice albums the sound stage was more expanded beyond the borders of the speakers.

i3f7m3ryfajh.png

OR

kub2snp3r94x.png

• Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    mpitogo wrote: »
    @tratliff they sound great but the only reference I have are to standard speakers without SDA. Sitting in front of them, these are the best sounding speakers in my house.

Other than these two sentences in November 2019, you have not provided a speaker review.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2020
    . . . . .
    (sorry)
  • mpitogo
    What can I say? I’m not a reviewer. I don’t think I have the golden ears to tell you why I like them other than I really do.

I’ve found my nirvana and truly enjoy them. Going back to my LSiM 707 Marantz PM-10 just sounds flat.

Echo Home by The Kills is just so tasty!

Cheers!
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    GREAT song!
    I just listened to it while reading the lyrics. Wow.

https://youtu.be/dxmCmGT4OyA
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    What can I say? I’m not a reviewer. I don’t think I have the golden ears to tell you why I like them other than I really do.

I’ve found my nirvana and truly enjoy them. Going back to my LSiM 707 Marantz PM-10 just sounds flat.

Echo Home by The Kills is just so tasty!

Cheers!

That's cool. Got to admit, I haven't developed the vernacular, or experience yet either! Glad you're loving them! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mpitogo
    m1fvmztge2on.jpeg

One small final tweak.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Vibration isolation is so important! When I heard these speakers in the Polk room at the New York Audio Show, the bass from outside in the hall sounded so muddy I almost didn't want to enter! I'm surprised that so few people with high end syhstems have gotten on board with this. I believe Townshend Audio has it right with their SUPER expensive platforms they manufacture. I have a DIY version under my speakers, and subwoofer of my own design.

http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation/hi-fi-home-cinema-equipment-vibration-isolation-platform/
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • verb
    m1fvmztge2on.jpeg

One small final tweak.

Not liking the spikes that came with it? Please advise.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox
    He can’t even give a review of the sound.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited January 2020
    BlueFox wrote: »

Actually, he did review the sound. He said they sounded great and he liked them a lot. That's all that mattered to him. I appreciate the fact that they sounded great to him. That's all I needed to know.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • BlueFox
    Ignorance is bliss for some.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    BlueFox wrote: »

Such a valid point!! He11, maybe he's not even worthy of those speakers!!! He should just give them away, advertising "Free, because I can't even post a review" It should go public so all can see!!!

What an arrogant thing to say, obviously someone's momma didn't tell them if they didn't have anything nice to say, just keep their pie hole shut!
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    edited January 2020
    m1fvmztge2on.jpeg

One small final tweak.
    Isn't this the antithesis of spikes that are so popular on this forum? I'm surprised you haven't received a public flogging for doing something like this. :)
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    ↑ ↑ I've been waiting for this topic to pop up, as I'm very interested. Uncoupling vs. coupling. To me that is uncoupling the speakers to the floor, which I thought was only recommended on a spongy floor.
  • verb
    Hermitism wrote: »
    ↑ ↑ I've been waiting for this topic to pop up, as I'm very interested. Uncoupling vs. coupling. To me that is uncoupling the speakers to the floor, which I thought was only recommended on a spongy floor.

IIRC there have been debates on this subject. Can't recall if in a separate thread.
    Perhaps Hermit my friend a new thread is in order? Plus it may give you an opportunity to devise some new badges! :smile:
  • BlueFox
    Hermitism wrote: »

Adding those things creates a spongy floor.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Uh, everybody has different taste and different ears. There may be a general consensuse on what sounds better but who the **** are you to tell someone what to like? What did one guy say to the other at the Greatful Dead concert when they ran out of drugs? Hey this music sucks!
  • mpitogo
    I was inspired by House of McIntosh and subwoofer isolation.
    ikf4wv639xja.jpeg
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    SVS sells thick rubber subwoofer isolation feet for their subwoofers that work splendidly to isolate the subwoofer from the floor and prevent excessive physical reaction with the flooring and walls. Cleans up the bass really well.

Not sure I'd want rubber things under my main speakers, but experimenting is fun.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    ^^^ I find that those little blue rubber sammiches do that pretty good on the cheap but they don't taste as good as they look.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2020
  • mpitogo
    I went a bit crazy and did it here as well...

n542iowdtud6.jpeg
  • BlueFox
    So, how did the sound change?

Three 20 amp circuits.