I just pulled the trigger on a new tüübed pre....this one should be pretty sweet!

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2020
    Hi, Glenn. I am actually fine with DAC's at the moment. The one that is in the Marantz SA-7S1 is one of the best I have ever heard in my travels and the one I have for the server is kind of overkill for the server itself...(Photo below taken from random image off of the internet)

5wl3tqlcqlag.png

My weak link in the network gear would currently be the Blue Node2. I typically don't listen to the network gear in the sweet spot, usually only when I'm in the office working (in another room) or doing other things around the house. Pretty much the only other exception is when I want to try new music that I don't have the "physical" media for. In other words, not really a priority for me. It's just a nice luxury to have (to me).

Drew, I have not yet fiddled with the internal components within the two units. Hopefully I can find some time tonight. I exhausted every other test this morning and that's all that is left to check on.

Then one final test before shipping off to double check my amp just in case it happened to fail the very moment I hooked up the pre (not likely and I'm not a believer in coincidences but I will check it anyways just for S's&G'ls).

Just kind of overall bummed about the whole deal at the moment, TBT.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    No tubes.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Johns just reminiscing about the one he once had 🤪
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Johns just reminiscing about the one he once had 🤪

I am listening to it now. I will never go back to a tube pre, nor will I part with this one.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    treitz3 wrote: »
    No tubes.

That’s right. Just excellent solid state sound. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    You have tube amps, John. Big difference.

When I lost the tubes in the Jolida JD9, going from that to the Marantz? The only tubes left in the rig were in the Dodd MLP. I have had two other pre's in the rig (albeit temporary) that were SS. I could TELL I had an SS rig.

I need tubes man. No if's and's or but's about it.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I am listening to it now. I will never go back to a tube pre, nor will I part with this one.

It’s definitely nice kit.
    I know it was up for sale last year, I didn’t know you ended up keeping it 😎
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    The wife backed down, so I stopped selling. :p

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    @treitz3 if you would, please do let us know what the Canary folks find when they delve into your preamp. One is always curious about root causes to build one's troubleshooting database. :)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tom sorry to hear you're have a bit a drama with your new piece. Hope it all works out.

Is the seller helping you with the expenses since you're shipping it out to have some work done on it?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Wow,so sorry to hear of your difficulties with the new pre. Hopefully Canary will get this straightened out asap!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • treitz3
    UPDATE - Well, I messed around on the insides and could not find anything noticeable that would be "out of order" within the pre side of the pre. (Have not looked at the PS yet but will tonight). Everything looked to be dead on and I am still in disbelief at how new this thing looks.

Anyhoo, I re-seated the tubes and hooked it back up. Same issue. So, I did something I have never done before but after watching Bob Carver work on gear hot?

(NOT RECOMMENDED UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING....THIS COULD BE LETHAL!!!)

I decided that I would do what I have seen him do. Mess around with it while it was hot. Tube 1, no change, tube 2, no change. Tube 3?

Shazam! Sonic difference that went from the 120Hz buzz to what sounded like a radio station that was trying to come in. Well, I powered her back down. Upon further inspection, the tube has lost its vacuum. I have no spare tubes for this, so I created another thread...https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/189446/urgent-need-reliable-and-trustworthy-shop-that-has-matched-quad-of-6sn7s#latest

Tom

• verb
    edited January 2020
    Interesting Tom - So you're saying a bad tube?

I've got an octet of spare EH 6SN7's that are good, to use for troubleshooting. Let me know.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    PM will be sent here shortly...

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    I knew it was a bad tube...

• treitz3
    kq2cp557lrox.jpg
    jkd2a17o4ujv.jpg
    sjcxjz5b83h7.jpg

This is the tube that failed. Apparently not a stock tube. Sorry for the sideways pic's...

Tom
  • treitz3
    FYI, Verb has a set coming soon so that I can test the Canary. Thanks man...

Tom
  • verb
    My pleasure Tom! It was a great pleasure talking to you! Thanks for spending some time with me. Your insights and advice all things audio is really appreciated!
  • treitz3
    Thank you for the kind words, Dave. I enjoyed our conversation(s).

Have a great evening.

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Glad it was just a tube, rock N roll
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    VR3 wrote: »
    Glad it was just a tube, rock N roll

You must be on baby duty.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Glad you got this resolved Tom. A bad tube makes for a bad audio experience. Please keep us informed on how the replacement tube from Verb turns out.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited January 2020
    Just want to reiterate, John knew it was a bad tube.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Good deal Tom. I'm sure the thought of having to ship it to the manufacturer for service was making your stomach turn!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    That’s a relief! Way to go on the troubleshooting skill set!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2020
    How many times do you all think, in this thread, I've had to get up and take a walk... so as to avoid grabbing the computer and shaking it whilst screaming
    Vacuum's not a THING... It's a NOT THING!

:#

Well, of course, as any modern physicist can tell you, that's not really, strictly true -- the vacuum of space (or a tube) is full of all kinds of weird stuff that's, of course, not stuff as we know stuff... umm... oh, wow, man.
    What was I talkin' about, man?

oh...

So, yeah, the vacuum leaked out ;)

If you get too much of that stuff in the room with you, it can get hard to breathe.
    I think vacuum is regulated by the State of California, in fact... for just that reason. You know, to protect its citizens. So they can keep doing... you know... whatever it is that they do out there...

B)

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Nature abhorred that tube previously.

She can tolerate it now.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0