I just pulled the trigger on a new tüübed pre....this one should be pretty sweet!

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,333
    Options
    Well, my "short list" was not exactly short. I am doing my adult chores at the moment. I'll chime back in later on that.

FYI, none of the ones that were on the list needed to have balanced inputs or outputs, nor did it have to have on board phono.

My list was also widely varying from $1.2K all the way to well over 10K. From Belles to Burmester, there were many. I was gonna pounce on another one but found out that the builder is having health issues. After dealing with what unfortunately happened with Gary and my Dodd? I wasn't going to go down that road again.

I am looking forward to a head to head with this unit and the Dodd once it gets repaired.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Tom,congratulations!! That is a beautiful pre. I'm sure it's going to sound incredible. I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Ray
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Pretty!

I give it 1.5 weeks before he starts griping about it
  • treitz3
    Options
    Thanks, Ray. Shut up Russ. (even though you may be right, LOL)

The runner up to this pre was the deHavillund Mercury 3 tube pre, with remote.

4q5cv4tm8cb4.png

This is the one I was going to pull the trigger on until I found out that the owner/builder is having some health issues at the moment, which essentially shuts down her production bench.

The Burmester I was eying was this one...the 035
    p0ecs58p8djq.png
    But, no tubes. Had to find the one with the right internal "package" and limited hookup capabilities for me. I.E. mostly all XLR. High cost as well, even used and when they do show up, they tend to be 220v which does me no good on this side of the big pond. The 088 sounded really good from reviews and those whom I know that have heard it but that comes at a very hefty price tag. I would like to remain married.

There were two upper end E.A.R models I was eying but the feedback from various people and a couple of trusted ears is that they were slightly veiled when comparing them to other light heavyweight pre's and with that said, I stopped looking there. Still want to hear one though, they are gorgeous!

I tooled around with the Modwright pre's but reviews were all over the place.

Other contenders -

Rouge Audio
    Joule
    Raven
    Audible Illusions
    Ayon (serious contender here)
    Audio Research
    Backhart Labs
    Cary Audio
    Belles
    Musical Fidelity
    Dodd MLP (yeah, right....I'll never find one)

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    Options
    Benchmark LA4 worth a look.
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Your list of contenders is pretty impressive. The only negatives I've heard on any of those,is the Audible Illusions and the way they go through tubes. However it seems most folks are willing to overlook those warts,and consider it the cost of doing business.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Drew, that has the same issues as the Burmester. Limited hook up capabilities for me and no tubes. Plus, it's too late now.

fp7bj0pp18g7.png

Tom
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    Also,how new is the Canary? It looks like it just came out of the box. I love the understated look of that!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Exquisite! Congrats Tom! Waiting for your impressions. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Thanks, Dave!

Ray, I do not have it my possession yet. It's currently out in California somewhere.

Tom
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    That thing ain't silver...it don't even match your gross tequila!

;-)

Grats on the new pre Tom.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    That thing ain't silver...it don't even match your gross tequila!

;-)

Grats on the new pre Tom.

Two words, Benjamin.
    Rattle.
    Can.

07yv3xaz7nf1.png
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,435
    edited January 2020
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hello Kitty boombox pre

nho1y2j09sbl.png

Jealous...
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    Options
    So Tom I had to do the math. I only recognized 64% of the brands you had on your list. And, only actually heard 21% of them! Man I feel like such a newbie! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited January 2020
    Options
    That tequila is dangerous
    Makes grown adult seemingly normal males perform lewd perverse acts in front of complete strangers.
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    That tequila is dangerous
    Makes grown adult seemingly normal males perform lewd perverse acts in front of complete strangers.

If you think what he did at your house was bad, ask @tonyb about LSAF and sharing a room with him. THAT was lewd.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • treitz3
    Options
    Lewd enough for him to take photos... :p

Guys, can we please not bring this thread into the gutter? It's all fun and games for us but for those who are interested in the end result of the pre? This is just useless stuff they have to read through.

Thanks in advance. There is a time and a place for rubbing and kidding around. I'd prefer this not be one of those places or times.

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2020
    Options
  • verb
    Options
    Foiled again Doc! :smile:
  • treitz3
    Options
    From the seller and I's conversation - "Total usage is less than 200 hours. It was for my second system in the bedroom but I never had the time to complete it. You will be surprised of how "NEW" it is. I've taken it back to the Canary dealer yesterday to have it cleaned and repacked with new original packing materials and boxes."

Should be here on Friday or Saturday (in theory).

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    heck of a bedroom system component... from my perspective, at least.

:)
  • TEAforONE
    Options
    It really sounds like this seller is very "customer " oriented. Bringing it back to the dealer to be cleaned and re-factory packed. Now that really is going the extra mile!
  • treitz3
    Options
    ....Make that Monday. They just updated the tracker.

*sigh*

Tom
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ....Make that Monday. They just updated the tracker.

*sigh*

Tom

:(

We grieve with you, and stand shoulder-to-shoulder with you on your vigil.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Very nice piece.....enjoy!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    Options
    The birdie has landed...

Tom
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,040
    Options
    Pics or it didn't happen
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    The birdie has landed...

Tom

well, i know who's going to be up all night :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • ZLTFUL
    Options
    He's waiting out an electrical storm (methinks Russ showed up outside and is using coat hangers to short between Tom's service hot and common).

• mhardy6647
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    He's waiting out an electrical storm (methinks Russ showed up outside and is using coat hangers to short between Tom's service hot and common).

t31kxgo9tbz3.png

source: https://dilbert.com/strip/1990-01-10