Polk L200 Speaker Demo Reviews

Options

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Attention Group A (walnut L200)

I am aware that one of the tweeters has a bent tip, so no need to report that.

Alright! Who rubbed their nads on them!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Are there gonna be any reviews?...lol
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Damn well better be.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    Options
    Polk refurb store on ebay has a pair for around $1,200
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,755
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Dang, I feel sorry for the dude that has to follow one of Ray's reviews. :)

Yeah no doubt...I should have added mine before his..lol. Work with the holidays pretty much consumed me, I apologize....I will give my thoughts within a few days.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Alright, review(s) incoming. I’m going to break it into a few parts.

I was able to take the L200's on a bit of a tour of DFW and got to try them side by side with several speakers and with a pretty decent range of equipment thanks to the help of Marvin and Skip. I'm going to share my thoughts mostly by comparison of what we heard that day. Some things could be considered direct competitors, some things are in a different price point entirely. I'm just going to share comparisons of everything so if you've heard any of the gear I mention you have a frame of reference. I'll also include a few playlists I put together to give an idea of the music that was sampled. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll elaborate on whatever.

Here’s the main thoughts and input right up front:
    I think the L200’s might be priced a touch high, but not offensively priced. When I consider Nebraska Furniture Mart, Music Direct or other vendors that may be carrying this line, I figure they will most commonly be seen up against Revel, Martin Logan, B&W, Klipsch, SVS, and maybe less commonly JBL, Elac, Warfedale and Kef. Not all those brands have direct price point comparisons currently, but that’s what I’d expect to see in the same test rooms. I’m not overly familiar with everything from all those lines, but from what I am familiar with I do think the Polk’s will hold their own in that line up and they will sell plenty of these.
    Having said all that, the tone on these was not my favorite. Bass performance is better than expected in small to mid-size rooms, but that didn’t carry over as well in a larger room. They are detailed, so if that’s a big factor for you, these will likely be a great fit. You also don’t need the most powerful amp if you’re working with a smaller space.

Stop #1 – My House
    The speakers obviously spent the most amount of time in my house. My room is my living room which is fairly small and it’s a bright room. 12 x 15 with 8ft ceilings, speakers on the long wall. The left side of the room opens to the dining room. Tile floor, a bay window to the right, and the biggest challenge is because of my front door placement, I need to keep the speakers much closer to the wall than I would prefer, and the couch is up against the back wall. It’s either that or give up the primary walkway. This is not an audiophile’s ideal space, but it is very much a “real world” room.

My speakers are the JBL Studio 580.
    Associated Gear:
    Digital – Cambridge CXN v2 streaming Tidal
    Analog – MoFi Ultradeck, MoFi MasterTracker, Sutherland 20/20.
    Amps – MasterSound Duventi and Kinki Studio EX-M1 (on loan from Marvin)
    Interconnects – Zu Mission
    Speaker Cables – Wireworld Mini Eclipse 8

I did some streaming, but the majority of listening is with the TT. But I did use a lightly expanded version of Skip’s old setup playlist so I’ll attach that: https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/28d8ad38-27d1-4f9a-9a35-aaad55382be4

6j8zy8t5weh8.jpg

Compared to the JBL’s, the L200 had a narrower stage, but it also had more depth. My room obviously present so challenges for creating depth, but the JBL sound never gets more deep then the front baffle. But the JBL’s best attribute is probably the wide soundstage they project. In my room the effect of the power port on the L200s was probably the best attribute. I gave up some of the slam/impact of the JBLs, but they generally felt like they were digging just as low. The power port also helped clean up a lot of boom caused by the proximity to the back wall. I honestly think the Polk power port is a great design and I’m surprised more brands don’t create something similar. Because I hadn’t picked up the EX-M1 yet, I figured I’d just see how these would do with my Duventi. Set for 20 watts using the 4 ohm taps I was surprised to find that they had no problem getting up to comfortable volumes in my room. With the EX-M1, I found the top and bottom end both picked up. A little more slam, and more bite on the top end. Somewhat annoyingly so if I’m honest. When I had the L200’s pired with the EX-M1 I found myself always overly focused on high end. It wasn’t grating, but when tracks would have a continuous high hat, I felt like that’s all I could hear. I kept thinking “why is that f’ing cymbal tap all I can focus on???” I had trouble getting lost in the music with that amp combo in my room.
    The Duventi didn’t present this same sound, and I ultimately spent more time with the Duventi + L200s. The tubes did a great job smoothing out the top end, but the bass was also a little slower and less textured as the tradeoff. That was the same issue I had with my JBLs that lead me to the Duventi in the first place. I will say that the L200s undoubtedly had more detail than the JBLs. Nothing felt as fluid to me, but it certainly created more defined imaging and brought out some extra detail.

More to come with some in depth comparisons from Marvin’s…
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • displayname
    Options
    Stop #2 – Marvin’s Place @marvda1
    The additional stops will be much more rapid fire since we did more combos and I spent less time with each combo. I’m going to list each speaker we used, and directly compare that to the L200, which will serve as our baseline here. Marvin’s room is a dedicated listening space with some sound treatments. It’s a bedroom, but I’m not sure on the measurements. It’s a very comfortable size, but would probably still count as a smaller room.

Associated gear:
    Jay’s Audio CDT2-MK2
    DAC: Musical Paradise MP-D2 Mk3 Deluxe (forgot the tubes he has in there)
    Amp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3 + Ayre v6xe
    I don’t recall which cables were all in play, but we didn’t swap out any cables, just swapped out various bookies on the same gear.

Overall the findings in Marvin’s room were generally similar. Decent depth and solid detail, but slightly narrower soundstage and the midrange and high end seemed a little dry and brittle. Bass worked well in the room, and imaging was solid. However, I did notice in Marvin’s room more so than anywhere else that the center image felt larger. Not really closer, but larger. Like the idea of someone being presented in a close up on a screen vs a standing on a stage.
    Marvin had an old BMW demo CD that we used that didn’t have any tracks on Tidal, but the bulk of what we listened to can be found here: https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/15fbf26a-59f3-42e9-8b1d-a9fad1509c2e
    The Chris Jones tracks served as our main constant for the day, and we listened to those two tracks on every speaker that day.
    hffzofpe4xkg.jpg

Comparisons:
    Revel M16 – These were a big step in the opposite direction in every way from the L200. The L200 was much livelier, fun, detailed and engaging than the M16. Of everything we listened to that day, the M16 was by far the most laid back. Almost sleepy to an extent. This was easily the most contrasting pair to the L200, and the difference in range and detail is to be somewhat expected given that the M16 is about half the price of the L200. (I don't think I got a pic of these)

Onix Refrence 1 – These speakers didn’t image as well as the L200, or dig as deep. It was close, but the L200s did beat it out in those catagories. But the Onix did tone so so so well. It really made the L200 feel clinical in the top end and upper midrange. These speakers did vocals, midrange and acoustics so well. I felt the L200 was missing something that I couldn’t put my finger on, and the Onix made if very obvious. This is when I really realized the tone of the L200 might not be for me.
    7s44i6binaaq.jpg

SoundTech MC15 (Harbeth clones) –The MC15 are not nearly as full range as the L200. They are also significantly smaller in a compact sealed box. Not really a direct comparison because of the massive design differences, and the MC15 is again noticeably less than the L200. But again here you really notice the difference in tone. The MC15’s do excellent midrange. Again, L200 beats them out for extension in both directions and in imaging. But when it comes to sitting down and enjoying music, the tone on MC15 are much more enjoyable for my taste.
    uynz6e6zcpri.jpg

Discogs
  • F1nut
    Options
    Nice review Willie, thank you.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    Options
    Great read! Thank you!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Wow, Willie sure gave them a tour of Texas. Nice write up bro and comparisons.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    That took a while to assemble and write up, not to mention do! Well done, Willie. Well done.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @displayname

So would you characterize them as somewhat boosted top end, or more than a bit?

I noticed several comments about "Detailed" and the top end...

We have Lsi9's the only one I can compare to, and they sound quite neutral, tone wise to me.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    When it comes my time for the review, I'm going to use the Copy & Paste approach ;)

A lot of members here could very be Professional Reviewers. Very well done!
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I found that when the volume was increased the highs began to grate on my ears.
    my room is also 12 x15 x8.
    cables were argento organic speaker cables, analysis plus solo crystal oval interconnects, wireworld gold starlight 6 spdif, power cords by Cullen.
    Post edited by marvda1 on
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    edited January 2020
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    @displayname

So would you characterize them as somewhat boosted top end, or more than a bit?

I noticed several comments about "Detailed" and the top end...

We have Lsi9's the only one I can compare to, and they sound quite neutral, tone wise to me.

Compared to the LSi9, the top end is certainly boosted. You'd notice it right away coming from the LSi9 regardless of amp pairing. Like Marvin just said, higher volumes and more power didn't do it any favors either.

But I can't deny more detail is there. One good example was at Marvin's we listened to Stairway to Heaven. On all the other speakers, you could hear the tape hiss, but it wasn't really distracting. On the L200, it was hard to look passed in the softer intro, and it really was a factor right up until the larger instrumentals picked up. That's not really enjoyable detail in that case, but it is detail.
    Discogs
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    For reference, what volume levels was "Stairway to Heaven" being played at?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    ... gonna have to come back to @displayname's triptych; lots to chew on there!
    Thanks!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Great review, thanks!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • displayname
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    For reference, what volume levels was "Stairway to Heaven" being played at?

Tom
    I would guess mid 70dbs with peaks in the 80s. We didn't measure that, but Marvin and I tend to listen at about the same volume and that's about where I've measured things in my house. Measuring via phone app, nothing crazy.

I should also point out that the mastering in the Tidal playlist is likely different from the CD Marvin had. I don't know which exact mastering we had, but it was from Mothership and it was in a card sleeve, not a jewel case: https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Mothership/master/4787

Discogs
  • F1nut
    Options
    Mothership is mastered so hot that I couldn't listen to it.

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    Options
    I noticed this tendency to become harsh at higher volume levels on other songs that with my reference speakers just gets louder and louder with the strain in the upper region.
    I also felt that the sound was not balanced across the frequency spectrum.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options
    Nice review Willie.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Nice review, seems there are many here with the same general "thread" on these...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    I noticed this tendency to become harsh at higher volume levels on other songs that with my reference speakers just gets louder and louder with the strain in the upper region.
    I also felt that the sound was not balanced across the frequency spectrum.

Are your reference speakers the Rosso Fiorentino Volterra’s?
  • marvda1
    edited January 2020
    Options
    yes.
    even the onix ref 1 with a tweeter in the same family did not exhibit this harshness.
    note that in it's day the ref 1 was known to be a little hot in the highs.
    Puritan PSM156
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,637
    Options

The Chris Jones tracks served as our main constant for the day, and we listened to those two tracks on every speaker that day.

Those Chris Jones tracks are two of my favorite tracks to use when demoing speakers.
  • displayname
    Options
    indyhawg wrote: »

Those Chris Jones tracks are two of my favorite tracks to use when demoing speakers.

They were new to me. I keep my phone out so I can quickly shazam anything when I'm with Marvin. He always has good stuff that I'm not familiar with.
    Discogs
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @CassidyStains
    @AlmaGarcia
    @F1nut

I think it would be good to make this thread an announcement/sticky thread so that it does not get buried as time passes.

Sorry for the delay, I was out on vacation. Slowly but surely catching up. I've stickie'd the thread.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Thank you Alma.

President of Club Polk