SL2000 response charts in sda compendium show no spikes

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    edited July 2008
    Options
    Dammit H9, you had to copy/paste that techno-babble, didn't you!?! :p

Anyway, perfect answer. I'd have to say he missed the Stereo Review article.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited July 2008
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Dammit H9, you had to copy/paste that techno-babble, didn't you!?! :p

Better??? :D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited July 2008
    Options
    daifanshi wrote: »
    Instead of bribing and theorizing to get to the end conclusion. The correct way to determine what is going on with the SL2000 tweeters is to make careful measurements of a physical sample. And they do not have to be anaechoic sine-wave sweeps. Gated burst tone measurements are mathematically equivalent and can be done almost anywhere. And as far as I know, there are no publically available distortion tests available either. We need these too.

Plots of the in-room response of the entire speaker system such as those found in magazines or done with your SPL meter in your living room are of limited utility, since the environment is not typically known or repeatable, and over-averaging can really skew the results. System tests also can't be used to extract accurate imformation about the drivers because of crossover electrical effects.

I have already started the process of measurements of the SL3000 tweeter and MW6510 woofer for my own purposes. I finished my impedance measurements already and will be able to extract the Thiel-Small parameters shortly. These will be as close to reality as one can get and not taken from fresh engineering samples built and measured in the mid 80's, but well-aged and broken-in units.

With respect to the tweeter, there are several things that can cause "sibilance", "peaking", "harshness", etc... From reading this board, the folklore here says we have a "spike", "peak", "bump" in the frequency response around 13kHz.

Instantaneous frequency response is only a superficial indication that a problem might exist. I will make "standard" frequency response measurements but also important are the following:

1. Stored energy in the tweeter response. Waterfall plots are useful in seeing this. e.g. A "peak" can sound bad, but a smaller "peak" will sound worse if it stays with the tweeter for several hundred milliseconds. I have the ability to test this. I've heard this called "linear" distortion.

2. Non-linear distortion. Also known as intermodulation distortion. These are basically mixing products (a non-linear effect) that happen when multiple-tones (as in music) modulate with one another and produce other tones. These "sub-tones" can be large compared to the desired tones and the odd-order tones are close in to the desired tones, which can make them the worst offending. This distortion is different depending on frequency and is always worse when operating a tweeter at too low a frequency. This is due to the non-linearities in the motor when there are large excursions. I can make this measurement as well.

3. And of course all the effects I listed above are power-dependent. I can test this but I won't. Too tedious. But the effect can be very significant as the voice coil heats up.

Cheers.

I like the first version better :mad:
  • F1nut
    edited July 2008
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Better??? :D

Much, I owe you one. :)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited July 2008
    Options
    "This message is hidden because ___________ is on your ignore list."

Ahhhh, the joys in life. That said, I'll see you folks tomorrow. I have a date with the pillow. Rock on! :D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2008
    Options
    daifanshi wrote: »
    The correct way to determine what is going on with the SL2000 tweeters is to make careful measurements of a physical sample.
    Agreed.
    Gated burst tone measurements are mathematically equivalent and can be done almost anywhere.
    Yes for truly accurate measurements a computer based MLS,FFT setup is a must.
    frequency response is only a superficial indication that a problem might exist.
    And its the frequency response that has the most influence on its actual SQ.
    Waterfall plots are useful in seeing this. e.g. A "peak" can sound bad, but a smaller "peak" will sound worse if it stays with the tweeter for several hundred milliseconds.
    It all depends on the frequency range in which the energy is being stored.For example ,the same SEAS tweeter as I mentioned in previous posts has a very good performance with respect to CSD plots (waterfall).Everthing dies away fairly quickly except for the ultrasonic resonance which makes it ring like a bell at about 27k.However this is high enough so as to not cause audible problems,and this tweeter is highly regarded for it's clean detailed sound.But move that resonance an octave lower and it would be unlistenable.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Tombr
    Tombr Posts: 4
    edited August 2009
    Options
    So if I buy 8 RD098 for my SDA SRS ,what if anything do I need to change in the X over?
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Tombr wrote: »
    So if I buy 8 RD098 for my SDA SRS ,what if anything do I need to change in the X over?

Nothing; they work with "stock" x-overs, as they are direct replacements. Many have replaced the aging caps and resistors in Polk speakers (as have I) with current production parts from Sonicap, Bennic, Dayton, Jantzen, Solen or Clarity Cap, and it takes the SDA's to a new level of refinement and enjoyment.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Tombr wrote: »

If you have SDA SRS's or SDA SRS 1.2's you want the RD0194-1 tweeters. If you have SDA SRS 1.2TL's, then the RD0198-1's are what you want.

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    Replaced sl2000 with rdo194.. still ear piercing harshness even at moderate volumes.. Bee gees vocal, some classical vocal music is unlistenable. Ears are ringing

The RD0194 is not a harsh sounding tweeter. What speakers and electronics are you using?
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    Options
    I would guess that it is time to rebuild your crossover networks. I only have experience with the Peerless tweeter though.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    I tend to use bright or forward receivers but brightness is present with neutral receivers too

Speakers?

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    What sort of interconnect and speaker cables are you using? Room type and acoustic treatments?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Polk sda-crs+ (2 woofers one tweeter) with new film capacitors from parts express. Cross overs redone a year or 2 ago. Cross over update was a huge improvement. I listened to all original Polk sda-crs+ few months ago.. those sounded muffled and blurry compare to mine

Some film caps are also very screechy in the tweetet circuit. Please tell me you use a better cap there and not Solen or Dayton (Bennic)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    edited January 2020
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Polk sda-crs+ (2 woofers one tweeter) with new film capacitors from parts express. Cross overs redone a year or 2 ago. Cross over update was a huge improvement. I listened to all original Polk sda-crs+ few months ago.. those sounded muffled and blurry compare to mine

Some film caps are also very screechy in the tweetet circuit. Please tell me you use a better cap there and not Solen or Dayton (Bennic)

Indeed, the Solens and the PE Dayton brand (Bennic OEM) are a bit bright -- good for refreshing old monkey coffins (i.e., replacing four decade old NP electrolytics) but not the best for hifi.

Good for the money they are, though.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Well didn't you say that your guests and musicians heard the same thing? Why didn't you hear the harshness right after you did the crossovers? Could it have been a bit of confirmation bias and then over time they became grating (maybe because they are?).
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • F1nut
    Options
    Oh my....LOL

President of Club Polk

• Gardenstater
    Options
    I would well imagine they would be harsh or brighter in a room such as that. Imagine the reflections off the side walls! You should try some acoustic treatments especially at the first reflection points relative to your preferred listening position.

But you still didn't really answer about harshness "after" the crossover mod., relative to before. It is quite possible that you were accepting of that harshness and then over time reality sank in.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Is the interconnect wire in place?

Do all woofers move freely?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Have to pull out cross overs to see what I put in there. Maybe my ears are young still. Overly sensitive to tremble. What's the average age of posters here

yea so lets now use ageism to help prove your point. If I did the crossovers I could tell you exactly what I put in there as I would of bought them and soldered them in. I can go back years and tell you every cap I've ever used and what I put them in. Polk did a lot of research to build the 194/198 tweeters so as NOT to make the same mistake they did on the SL2000 tweeters, it is well documented in the SDA compendium. @DarqueKnight is VERY knowledgeable and has done a lot of work here with a ton of research and spells it out with graphs I linked you to in the other thread. He also knew Matt Polk, Sandy and others very well as some others here. If you do not like them that is fine but why keep insisting we are all wrong and you are the only one who knows anything. @KennethSwauger is also very knowledgeable and has many threads here, he has worked for Polk a very long time but is no longer as active on the site as he used to be.

By the way according to my ear doctor my ears are very astute for my age and I'm a lot older than 35.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Since you've abandoned your other thread I'll post this here as well.

get your read on

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182943/the-tale-of-5-tweeters-sda-tweeter-replacement-guide/p1
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2020
    Options
    If your bass is floppy well that's a whole 'nother issue now. You probably need some good vibration isolation to remove the floor and the walls from the equation. Without that, you will be listening to those instead of your highly engineered speakers. Believe it or not, in my experience the highs are much cleaner also without extraneous vibrations from the outside world affecting the voice coil of the tweeter, like for example in a dorm room lol.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2020
    Options
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/8/5/1/1/26708.pdf

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/8/5/1/1/26707.pdf

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/8/5/1/1/26709.pdf

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/1/8/5/1/1/26710.pdf

Really here are all of them.

Notice who put them together.... None other than @DarqueKnight

but yet we are all trolls posting gif's

DarqueKnight Posts: 6,629
    August 2007 edited August 2007
    Schematics for the SDA CRS, SDA CRS+, and "4.1TL" SL3000/RD0198 tweeter modification.
    SDA CRS 1984 Sch.pdf
    SDA CRS+ 1986 Sch.pdf
    SDA CRS+ 1987 Sch.pdf
    SDA CRS+ 1989 Sch.pdf
    SDA CRS+ 1990 SL3000 Mod Sch.pdf
    SDA CRS Stand Dimensions.pdf