Power Line EMI Meter - Alpha Labs (Demo Program)

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ^^^No the voltage is fine; it just reads a bit high on that unit and yes I'd be concerned if it was up that high.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    LOL. Then why do you think the other measurement are accurate. :)

Indeed.

:(

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    I think he meant the Furman reads the voltage high, not the EMI meter.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I think he meant the Furman reads the voltage high, not the EMI meter.
    k7j5z5lccbbv.jpg
    Looks like the little EMI gizmo's reading a line voltage of 124 V -- which strikes me as kind of high.

Not that I know what ours is right this second... might just go and check, after dinner.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    BlueFox wrote: »
    LOL. Then why do you think the other measurement are accurate. :)

I had thought the same thing when I first got it but the other measurements are used as a reference point.
  • phipiper10
    phipiper10 Posts: 955
    edited December 2019
    I've been paying close attention to voltage last few days since acquiring the Noise Harvester and signing up for the demo. During the day as high as 121 and as the evening arrives I have seen as low as 117 at which point the line boost light came on the APC.

More than the belief that the Harvester is cleaning up noise, it's been helpful to see what triggers the blinking and where voltage is at. There are certainly more transients in the evening. Still narrowing causes and determining if there is correlation between more "cleaning" and low voltage. I've been surmising my neighbor has a massive grow operation and he is sucking up all the juice in the neighborhood! No doubt those dimmer switches set that thing off, and not on same circuit.

Can't wait to try out this EMI meter to gather more info!
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    @Conradicles please PM me your shipping address.
  • monepolk
    Got it, thanks. I'll be shipping it out in the next day or so.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    monepolk wrote: »
    Got it, thanks. I'll be shipping it out in the next day or so.

Thank you sir! So what were your findings and impressions?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • monepolk
    I was expecting higher readings because I live in a older home, but surprisingly my readings never got above 100mV (except the first day). Most of the readings in my listening area were around 20mV @ 119V. On the first day I got readings of 174, 145 and 137mV @ 116V on 3 outlets that are on the same circuit and the 137 reading went up to 245 when I unplugged the power strip connected to it. Since I wasn't able to duplicate those readings, regardless of the time of day, I think that the meter needed to acclimate to the temperature change. Readings around the house ranged from 17 @ 120V to the high of 85 @ 119V. But the listening area was 19-25 @ 119V So I think I'm good. B)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Nice low numbers! Sounds like you're good to go!
  • verb
    Thank you Juan! :smile:@Conradicles you're next!

4tqbd6zqaoxs.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Got it in my possession!
  • verb
    Very nice! @jdjohn you're up next! :smile:
    z29is6by9hbq.png
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Cool B) I want to see what it reveals me about my PSA PowerPlay 9000, and also a Chang Lightspeed conditioner.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • verb
    @Conradicles my man! Any update? Curious minds wanna know! :smile:
  • Conradicles
    Been testing about everywhere in my house that was built in 1968. I expected much higher numbers. Good news is that where I will be putting my future 2 channel rig is very low!

Best case in the 30`s and worse case with everything on including the washing machine it was 120.

This is a cool little toy!!!
  • Conradicles
    @jdjohn , PM me your address and I will send this to you.
  • jdjohn
    PM sent
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Conradicles
    Got it... will get it shipped soon.
  • jdjohn
    I safely have it in-house :)
  • verb
    Very nice! :smile:
    ia50iamjekrc.png
  • civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    Can I still get in?
    civilian wrote: »
    Can I still get in?

Of course you can! However it looks like you just came back from a while ago. Stay and hang around with us, so I can get to know you a little better! Welcome back brother! :smile:
  • civilian
    civilian Posts: 357
    Would be interesting to compare to my AVS-2000 from that M-brand.
    I did some final testing last night, mainly in hopes of confirming earlier tests, so now I'm ready to report my findings.

With my Cary Audio SI-300.2d integrated amp plugged into one of the sockets of my main wall outlet for audio, EMI measurements are better overall. In fact, having the Cary plugged into one socket makes a greater measurement difference in the other socket than my PSA PowerPlay 9000 power conditioner.

To be more specific: with the Cary plugged into one socket, EMI from the other socket was reduced to ~70mV - whether measured directly from the second socket with the tester, OR if measured via one of the PP9000 output sockets. The PP9000 made no difference when the Cary was plugged-in. It's as if the Cary trumped the PP9000 in EMI reduction.

FWIW: the outlet I use in this location is a PS Audio wall outlet.

• jdjohn
    Curiosity has gotten the best of me, so I just ordered a PSA Stellar Power Plant 3, and would love to test it with the EMI meter...if I can get a time extension with the test meter :)

I will be taking advantage of PSA's trade-in program with this purchase, getting the max 30% discount by trading-in my PowerPlay 9000.
  • verb
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Curiosity has gotten the best of me, so I just ordered a PSA Stellar Power Plant 3, and would love to test it with the EMI meter...if I can get a time extension with the test meter :)

I will be taking advantage of PSA's trade-in program with this purchase, getting the max 30% discount by trading-in my PowerPlay 9000.

Of course you can have an extension! Your insights and comments are very well received! Thank you Jody! @tratliff hang in there, it's coming your way next! :smile:
    uljcw6ck7t0e.png
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    Of course you can have an extension!

SCANDAL!!! OUTRAGE!!!