Belles 21a Tube Pre in the house!

Well, Got me an early Christmas present!

l81tfsmacaao.jpg

Came with a couple sets of tubes. Unfortunately someone installed Dayton caps but I'm digging it as is for now! I'll probably upgrade them to something better. Any suggestions? I need 4ea. 15uF and 1ea. 2.2uF caps. I have a set of Mullards on the way thanks to @Gerres26.
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    YOU SUK! Just kidding, that was jealousy raring it's ugly head :)

A pick of the innerds would help, some caps might not fit. I haven't heard this pre, but, I'm betting it sounds pretty sweet, or, will with the caps upgraded.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    kharp1 wrote: »
    YOU SUK! Just kidding, that was jealousy raring it's ugly head :)

A pick of the innerds would help, some caps might not fit. I haven't heard this pre, but, I'm betting it sounds pretty sweet, or, will with the caps upgraded.

here you go.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/189041/ebay-sellers-misrepresentation#latest
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I'm using it with a Hafler 500 amp. If it makes that crappy thing sound good I can only imagine what it'll sound like with my monos. It came with two sets of tubes. One set of Westinghouse's made in England and another set I can't read. The Westys were borderline harsh but these other ones are sweet!

4avwl7m7a0q2.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • kharp1
    Posted this in another thread by mistake:

I'm thinking that there cold be several ways you could go here. I'd try to work out some better deal with the guy, if possible, or, just play it as is for now and plan for a cap upgrade down the road. There appears to be enough room to make some improvement. Mundorf, Jantzen, Audyne, Jupiter all make some good sounding caps. The Jupiter are physically bigger, some are square or rectangular, but, you can come up with the values you need and play around with the space. This would be a good project that could provide good improvement for the buck.
  • audioluvr
    Thanks Kerry! I'll look into those others.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    How many 12Au7's do you use in that preamp?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Soo, is it more musical than your other pre ? Like we all said. :) Once you get addicted to that tube sound, it's hard to go back to SS.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    dromunds wrote: »

Two
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • dromunds
    marvda1 wrote: »

Two

Duh, yeah I just looked at the photo in the other thread. Thanks.
  • audioluvr
    tonyb wrote: »
    Soo, is it more musical than your other pre ? Like we all said. :) Once you get addicted to that tube sound, it's hard to go back to SS.

Yes Tony, as always you are correct. From what I can tell so far it is quite a leap up from SS.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• kharp1
    A tube pre is, in my opinion, where you get real bang for the buck.
  • audioluvr
    Okay so some issues that I'm noticing which may make me have to return this if it can't be fixed. One is that one of the caps that some idiot ( no offense if it was one of you guys ) replaced on this at one time, is wrong. It's not one of the 4 that the factory usually replaces for the upgrade but the one between them. It's supposed to be 2.2uF and the one in there is 15uF. Another issue is while playing music it has a noticeable background hum like a tuning fork. When I press the mute it stops. Any thoughts?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Are any of your power cables in parallel and sitting close to a signal wire?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    No but I think I may have figured out where it 's coming from. The one set of tubes that are in boxes (the Westinghouse England) ones are 12ax7a's and this pre is supposed to be using 12au7a. Would that affect anything? Should I stop using it?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr wrote: »
    No but I think I may have figured out where it 's coming from. The one set of tubes that are in boxes (the Westinghouse England) ones are 12ax7a's and this pre is supposed to be using 12au7a. Would that affect anything? Should I stop using it?

Dunno but the a versions but 12AX7s have more gain than AU7s
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • audioluvr
    That would explain why when the volume is on 2 out of 10 everyone in the house starts freaking out.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• dromunds
    Get those 12AX7’s outa there.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Get those 12AX7’s outa there.

I agree. First things first is to get the right tubes in it, preferably NOS.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    1959 Mitchum-made Mullards from Gerres26 coming. That'll make a difference
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    1959 Mitchum-made Mullards from Gerres26 coming. That'll make a difference

That they will!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Do us a favor and shoot some pics of the cap replacement process....Im thinking of trying out this pre next since I already have a Belles amp.
  • If you want a match made in heaven,,try an audible illusions with that Belles,, I had an L-1 and 350a for years
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • audioluvr
    edited December 2019
    Well today everyone left for post holiday life, leaving me the opportunity to install my newly acquired capacitors into this Belles 21A pre. I opted for the Mundorf Supreme caps as Auricap doesn't carry a 15uF any more. Upon their arrival first thing I noticed is that they are HUGE. Easily 4 times bigger than the Auricaps and Daytons. This of course made me have to do some modifications to the circuit board. I could have gone with the cheap Mundorfs but then I would have been always wondering what if...

Project took WAY longer than it should have but me being borderline obsessive compulsive needed to make sure everything was clean and correct. Reflowed any questionable solders with Cardas solder etc. Since this was my first dip into the tube world I didn't want to do it half assed.

30wbprp1wksb.jpg

Here's the way it came to me. Dayton caps and Cornell Dublier bypass caps. The PO bought it under the impression David Belles did a recap. Possible but I wouldn't think the original designer of this pre would would use lower grade poly caps that were in it originally.

kbucw73orx38.jpg

I pulled the face off first then removed all the RCA hold down nuts so I could remove the circuit board from the base.

4hhl6p3o6pxl.jpg

Here is the board stripped and the Dayton 15uF cap correct cap replaced with the correct 2.2uF Mundorf Supreme

Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• treitz3
    I opted for the Mundorf Supreme caps as Auricap doesn't carry a 15uF any more.
    Well, we all feel sorry for you that you would have to put up with such a loss. Prayers sent and best wishes for you and yours to come. If only we all had your problems...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • audioluvr
    edited December 2019
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I opted for the Mundorf Supreme caps as Auricap doesn't carry a 15uF any more.
    Well, we all feel sorry for you that you would have to put up with such a loss. Prayers sent and best wishes for you and yours to come. If only we all had your problems...

Tom

Do not despair Tom. From what I've read with the "cap rolling crowd" these are a step up from the Auricaps.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• treitz3
    Oh, trust me....

That was pure satire. Congrat's my man. Sweet. If only some had to "put up with" what you had too.

Tom
  • audioluvr
    Only a few hours burned in and already I'm noticing a significant 3D improvement. Sure could be the Irish whiskey but...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC