What pisses me off....Power cords

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    That could be opening up a can of worms. I guess I could star ground them...

We shall see. I have other projects I am working on at the moment.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    For me it has worked out well
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    What configuration did Russ or Garrett configure the grounds? I don't have any ground loop issues now....do NOT want to introduce one either. That's a headache I'd rather not explore.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    VR3 wrote: »
    You should add 3 dedicated circuits

This works so well me. One circuit for the source gear, and a separate circuit for each amp.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    I would have to let russ chime in but I have never experienced any grounding issues
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    treitz3 wrote: »
    What configuration did Russ or Garrett configure the grounds? I don't have any ground loop issues now....do NOT want to introduce one either. That's a headache I'd rather not explore.

Tom

All common at the panel board.
  • treitz3
    That sounds like you star grounded it. You didn't connect the grounds in series, you ran from each outlet separately to the panel?

Tom
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    That's a big 10-4
  • treitz3
    Good deal, thanks Russ.

Tom
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    When I did mine, I isolated the grounds by extracting the bare copper wires from each Romex® run (before they entered the panel box) and connecting them to a clamp attached to a copper plumbing pipe.

The neutral bus and the ground bus were connected to each other in the panel box with a bonding strap, and I wanted to separate them. There was a noticeable difference in the noise floor, not to mention the greatly increased bass response when my power amp had its own dedicated 20A circuit.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    msg wrote: »
    Now that we have this settled, can someone post that video again of the guy throwing one of Tom's speakers across the driveway?

Eye seent dat wunce.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Lol, but you're my favorite person, Tom.

Still too soon?
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    Yes. It's only been a decade. Damn.

Tom
  • VR3
    That picture will be worth millions in the future as a Masterpiece
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    msg wrote: »
    Now that we have this settled, can someone post that video again of the guy throwing one of Tom's speakers across the driveway?

I must've missed that! That sounds terrible. Please re-post! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Was it just a still?!? I can't remember now. All I remember is dying laughing.
    (for @Viking64 ) I letterally had to be recessitated.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    Now you are REALLY not my favorite person!

Tom
  • treitz3
    VR3 wrote: »
    That picture will be worth millions in the future as a Masterpiece

So long as I get royalties? I'm game.

Tom
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    OMG! That's terrible! Lol! I mean wow, that's too bad. So sorry for your loss. :smile:

Newbie question - Who are the 2 gentlemen in the pic?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    OMG Tom - what a story! I really do feel for ya! When the Mrs and I carried the SRS's down into the basement, I was struck with fear that something would happen.

Not sure if I met James. What is his name here on CP? Poor guy.
  • treitz3
    He has only posted here a couple of times. I don't recall his moniker but I do believe it was JamesS. He was one of the owners of the original Carver Audio forum. (Him and his father, Dave Sauter)

Tom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    That's 350lbs. of James hitting the ground, made a mess of one knee. I came out of the cabin to see what was going on and Tom asks me if the speaker is repairable....I think I laughed.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    What happened to the Carver audio forum. I went there but it is gone now...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Looks active to me?
  • Tom, I love your speaker story.

I made my own copy of the picture and your words to relive as needed.

The photo is one in a million.

Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    So classic. Really is a one in a million pic.